Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > win98se install error

win98se install error

dark elf

Hi, I'm installing Win98se on a Compaq Presario 4540 with an AMD processor.
I've reformatted the hard drive and after installing the OS, when it reboots
I get an error:

Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer

c:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd: Missing/unable to load

Any advice? Do you need more info? I'm reformatting and reinstalling right
now to see if that will help. I'll update later. Thanks, Ryan

Toolman Tim

>| Hi, I'm installing Win98se on a Compaq Presario 4540 with an AMD
>| processor. I've reformatted the hard drive and after installing the
>| OS, when it reboots I get an error:
>|
>| Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer
>|
>| c:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd: Missing/unable to load
>|

>| Any advice? Do you need more info? I'm reformatting and
>| reinstalling right now to see if that will help. I'll update later.
>| Thanks, Ryan

Microsoft has this to say about it:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=311188

There may be more - follow the links on those pages...

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

dark elf

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >| Hi, I'm installing Win98se on a Compaq Presario 4540 with an AMD
> >| processor. I've reformatted the hard drive and after installing the
> >| OS, when it reboots I get an error:
> >|
> >| Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer
> >|
> >| c:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd: Missing/unable to load
> >|

> >| Any advice? Do you need more info? I'm reformatting and
> >| reinstalling right now to see if that will help. I'll update later.
> >| Thanks, Ryan

> Microsoft has this to say about it:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=311188
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;191874
> There may be more - follow the links on those pages...
>
> --
> "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where
> THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
>
> Weird, tried the fixes listed from Microsoft, didn't work. Reinstalled

Windows, but instead of hanging around watching it, I went out to lunch and
shopping, got home to a perfectly loaded desktop, no errors, running really
smoothly now. Thanks for the advice. Ryan

Toolman Tim

>| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>| news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>| > >|
>| > >|
>| > >|
>| > >|

>| > Microsoft has this to say about it:
>| > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=311188
>| >
>| > http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;191874
>| > There may be more - follow the links on those pages...
>| >
>| > --
>| > "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go
>| > where THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
>| >
>| > Weird, tried the fixes listed from Microsoft, didn't work.
>| > Reinstalled
>| Windows, but instead of hanging around watching it, I went out to
>| lunch and shopping, got home to a perfectly loaded desktop, no
>| errors, running really smoothly now. Thanks for the advice. Ryan

Glad you got it running! Those errors are sometimes very hard to chase down.

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~