Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Power Supply info

Reply
Thread Tools

Power Supply info

 
 
fitzybhoy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2004
First off sorry for the xpost

Secondly, my PSU is on it's way out, causing hd crashes, louder than normal
running noises etc...

My local computer shop sells 350,400,450,550 and 650 replacement power
supplies.

I have an ABIT KT7A motherboard and would like to know if any of the above
will blow the motherboard.

Also if not, then what is the best one to get, there are 4 devices in my
computer, 2 hd's and a DVDRW and a DVDROM. I may in the future go for
another HD controller card, so there may be as many as 6 devices connected
and would like to know which PSU will handle all 6 without breaking sweat.

Thanks
John


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Monsignor Larville Jones, M.D.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2004

"fitzybhoy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:_T09d.1107$(E-Mail Removed)...
> First off sorry for the xpost


Wuh?

>
> Secondly, my PSU is on it's way out, causing hd crashes, louder than
> normal
> running noises etc...
>
> My local computer shop sells 350,400,450,550 and 650 replacement power
> supplies.
>
> I have an ABIT KT7A motherboard and would like to know if any of the above
> will blow the motherboard.
>
> Also if not, then what is the best one to get, there are 4 devices in my
> computer, 2 hd's and a DVDRW and a DVDROM. I may in the future go for
> another HD controller card, so there may be as many as 6 devices connected
> and would like to know which PSU will handle all 6 without breaking sweat.
>
> Thanks
> John
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2004
Monsignor Larville Jones, M.D. wrote:
> "fitzybhoy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:_T09d.1107$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>First off sorry for the xpost

>
>
> Wuh?


My good doctor, he meant his demeanor is a bit cross.
 
Reply With Quote
 
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2004
fitzybhoy wrote:
> First off sorry for the xpost
>
> Secondly, my PSU is on it's way out, causing hd crashes, louder than normal
> running noises etc...
>
> My local computer shop sells 350,400,450,550 and 650 replacement power
> supplies.
>
> I have an ABIT KT7A motherboard and would like to know if any of the above
> will blow the motherboard.
>
> Also if not, then what is the best one to get, there are 4 devices in my
> computer, 2 hd's and a DVDRW and a DVDROM. I may in the future go for
> another HD controller card, so there may be as many as 6 devices connected
> and would like to know which PSU will handle all 6 without breaking sweat.
>
> Thanks
> John


Because it has more wattage available doesn't mean it's going to be
pumping that much juice into the motherboard all the time. With 4 hard
drives, 2 DVD devices, you'll probably not cause a 450 to "sweat". Just
a quick tally of likely power consumption of normal components came in
around 310 watts. This may vary quite a bit, but probably not by 140
watts. And you'll be unlikely to ever get all the different drives to be
using much power at the same time.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Smoker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2004

"Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> fitzybhoy wrote:
> > First off sorry for the xpost
> >
> > Secondly, my PSU is on it's way out, causing hd crashes, louder than

normal
> > running noises etc...
> >
> > My local computer shop sells 350,400,450,550 and 650 replacement power
> > supplies.
> >
> > I have an ABIT KT7A motherboard and would like to know if any of the

above
> > will blow the motherboard.
> >
> > Also if not, then what is the best one to get, there are 4 devices in my
> > computer, 2 hd's and a DVDRW and a DVDROM. I may in the future go for
> > another HD controller card, so there may be as many as 6 devices

connected
> > and would like to know which PSU will handle all 6 without breaking

sweat.
> >
> > Thanks
> > John

>
> Because it has more wattage available doesn't mean it's going to be
> pumping that much juice into the motherboard all the time. With 4 hard
> drives, 2 DVD devices, you'll probably not cause a 450 to "sweat". Just
> a quick tally of likely power consumption of normal components came in
> around 310 watts. This may vary quite a bit, but probably not by 140
> watts. And you'll be unlikely to ever get all the different drives to be
> using much power at the same time.

---
All hardware requires maximum power on a cold boot.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Smoker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2004

"fitzybhoy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:_T09d.1107$(E-Mail Removed)...
> First off sorry for the xpost
>
> Secondly, my PSU is on it's way out, causing hd crashes, louder than

normal
> running noises etc...
>
> My local computer shop sells 350,400,450,550 and 650 replacement power
> supplies.
>
> I have an ABIT KT7A motherboard and would like to know if any of the above
> will blow the motherboard.
>
> Also if not, then what is the best one to get, there are 4 devices in my
> computer, 2 hd's and a DVDRW and a DVDROM. I may in the future go for
> another HD controller card, so there may be as many as 6 devices connected
> and would like to know which PSU will handle all 6 without breaking sweat.
>

You don't care about the quality or brand name? You can't just buy a PSU
based on how many watts the mfr. boasts it is. An Antec 300W is much, much
better than a 500W PowMax, for instance. The Antec 300W unit costs more. Why
do you think that is? Antec and Enermax are well known for their quality,
warranties, and customer service. Would you compare an 8 cylinder Dodge with
a Cadillac and figure they're both the same because they each have 8
cylinders?

There's a label on the side of your power supply. When you know what those
mean and how they relate to the hardware you have and might acquire in the
future, then you can confidently buy a power supply. If you buy either an
Antec or Enermax that's over 400W then you don't have to be concerned about
details and they should carry you well into the future.

There's no such thing as too much power.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2004
fitzybhoy wrote:
> First off sorry for the xpost


> Secondly, my PSU is on it's way out, causing hd crashes, louder than normal
> running noises etc...


> My local computer shop sells 350,400,450,550 and 650 replacement power
> supplies.


> I have an ABIT KT7A motherboard and would like to know if any of the above
> will blow the motherboard.


No. That rating is about what's *available* from the PSU. You're not
rating death rays, here.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Go Double Blue - Wolverines and Dodgers
 
Reply With Quote
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2004
Smoker wrote:

> "fitzybhoy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:_T09d.1107$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> First off sorry for the xpost


>> Secondly, my PSU is on it's way out, causing hd crashes, louder than

> normal
>> running noises etc...


>> My local computer shop sells 350,400,450,550 and 650 replacement power
>> supplies.


>> I have an ABIT KT7A motherboard and would like to know if any of the above
>> will blow the motherboard.


>> Also if not, then what is the best one to get, there are 4 devices in my
>> computer, 2 hd's and a DVDRW and a DVDROM. I may in the future go for
>> another HD controller card, so there may be as many as 6 devices connected
>> and would like to know which PSU will handle all 6 without breaking sweat.


> You don't care about the quality or brand name? You can't just buy a PSU
> based on how many watts the mfr. boasts it is. An Antec 300W is much, much
> better than a 500W PowMax, for instance. The Antec 300W unit costs more. Why
> do you think that is? Antec and Enermax are well known for their quality,


OP: look at some PSU surveys at places like http://tomshardware.com and
http://anandtech.com.

> warranties, and customer service. Would you compare an 8 cylinder Dodge with
> a Cadillac and figure they're both the same because they each have 8
> cylinders?


I'd go with the Dodge. Cadillacs are still your grandfather's car. The little
old lady from Pasadena drove a (brand-new shiny red superstock) Dodge.

> There's a label on the side of your power supply. When you know what those
> mean and how they relate to the hardware you have and might acquire in the
> future, then you can confidently buy a power supply. If you buy either an
> Antec or Enermax that's over 400W then you don't have to be concerned about
> details and they should carry you well into the future.


Best bang for the buck I've seen in that range (and what I have,
therefore) has been the 480W Antec TruPower.

> There's no such thing as too much power.


Arrrrrr!

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Go Double Blue - Wolverines and Dodgers
 
Reply With Quote
 
fitzybhoy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2004

"Monsignor Larville Jones, M.D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:ck285f$fpr$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "fitzybhoy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:_T09d.1107$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > First off sorry for the xpost

>
> Wuh?
>

I forgot to actually add the other group


 
Reply With Quote
 
Larry Crites
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2004
The Dodge is better.

--

Larry
Unlock the Universe


"Smoker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:Kw49d.1225$tc.1133@trndny02...
|
| You don't care about the quality or brand name? You can't just buy a PSU
| based on how many watts the mfr. boasts it is. An Antec 300W is much, much
| better than a 500W PowMax, for instance. The Antec 300W unit costs more.
Why
| do you think that is? Antec and Enermax are well known for their quality,
| warranties, and customer service. Would you compare an 8 cylinder Dodge
with
| a Cadillac and figure they're both the same because they each have 8
| cylinders?
|
| There's a label on the side of your power supply. When you know what those
| mean and how they relate to the hardware you have and might acquire in the
| future, then you can confidently buy a power supply. If you buy either an
| Antec or Enermax that's over 400W then you don't have to be concerned
about
| details and they should carry you well into the future.
|
| There's no such thing as too much power.
|
|


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High Power 560Watt Power Supply HPC-560-A12C @ ThinkComputers.org Silverstrand Front Page News 0 02-21-2006 10:25 PM
AOpen Prima Power AO700-12ALN 700W Power Supply Review Silverstrand Front Page News 5 08-29-2005 11:38 AM
HEC Ace Power 580UB 580Watt power supply Silverstrand Front Page News 0 07-23-2005 03:04 PM
Determine power requirements system... possible problem with power supply? Willem van der Berg Computer Support 4 10-03-2004 10:40 PM
RCA 030 Camera Power supply RCA CPS02 Power Supply nick Digital Photography 0 01-22-2004 10:27 PM



Advertisments