Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Router (Belkin) Constantly Losing Connectivity

Router (Belkin) Constantly Losing Connectivity

bPstyles

I have a problem that I am growing quite tired of. I have 3 boxes and a PS2
hooked up to a standard 4-port Belkin Cable/DSL router (using cable).
Randomly the router will just stop getting connectivity. It isn't the cable
modem because if I unplug a eth cable from the router and go straight to the
modem, I get throughput instantly (sometimes I have to disable/enable my
connection).

This happens on all 3 boxes simultaneously, so it isn't an OS or machine
issue. I have checked all settings in the router and found nothing that
could be causing this.

Any ideas? Is it just a **** router? I am thinking about getting something
substantial next time (maybe a Fortigate 50A) since I am going to add 2 more
boxes, an Xbox, and maybe one day run some kind of server so the all-in-one
features of the FG are great.

I haven't called Belkin yet because I am not interested in being accused of
user error right off the bat.

Thanks.

pcbutts1

Belkin makes **** routers. I took mine back after about 2 hours of hell and
got a linksys, I have been happy every since.

"bPstyles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9QJ8d.326$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>I have a problem that I am growing quite tired of. I have 3 boxes and a
>PS2
> hooked up to a standard 4-port Belkin Cable/DSL router (using cable).
> Randomly the router will just stop getting connectivity. It isn't the
> cable
> modem because if I unplug a eth cable from the router and go straight to
> the
> modem, I get throughput instantly (sometimes I have to disable/enable my
> connection).
>
> This happens on all 3 boxes simultaneously, so it isn't an OS or machine
> issue. I have checked all settings in the router and found nothing that
> could be causing this.
>
> Any ideas? Is it just a **** router? I am thinking about getting
> something
> substantial next time (maybe a Fortigate 50A) since I am going to add 2
> more
> boxes, an Xbox, and maybe one day run some kind of server so the
> all-in-one
> features of the FG are great.
>
> I haven't called Belkin yet because I am not interested in being accused
> of
> user error right off the bat.
>
> Thanks.

Unk

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 03:41:57 GMT, "bPstyles"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a problem that I am growing quite tired of. I have 3 boxes and a PS2
>hooked up to a standard 4-port Belkin Cable/DSL router (using cable).
>Randomly the router will just stop getting connectivity. It isn't the cable
>modem because if I unplug a eth cable from the router and go straight to the
>modem, I get throughput instantly (sometimes I have to disable/enable my
>connection).
>
>This happens on all 3 boxes simultaneously, so it isn't an OS or machine
>issue. I have checked all settings in the router and found nothing that
>could be causing this.
>
>Any ideas? Is it just a **** router? I am thinking about getting something
>substantial next time (maybe a Fortigate 50A) since I am going to add 2 more
>boxes, an Xbox, and maybe one day run some kind of server so the all-in-one
>features of the FG are great.
>
>I haven't called Belkin yet because I am not interested in being accused of
>user error right off the bat.
>
>Thanks.

Update the router's firmware. It has an update feature built-in.
That corrected the problem on several Belkin routers with the same problem.

bPstyles

"Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 03:41:57 GMT, "bPstyles"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I have a problem that I am growing quite tired of. I have 3 boxes and a

PS2
> >hooked up to a standard 4-port Belkin Cable/DSL router (using cable).
> >Randomly the router will just stop getting connectivity. It isn't the

cable
> >modem because if I unplug a eth cable from the router and go straight to

the
> >modem, I get throughput instantly (sometimes I have to disable/enable my
> >connection).
> >
> >This happens on all 3 boxes simultaneously, so it isn't an OS or machine
> >issue. I have checked all settings in the router and found nothing that
> >could be causing this.
> >
> >Any ideas? Is it just a **** router? I am thinking about getting

something
> >substantial next time (maybe a Fortigate 50A) since I am going to add 2

more
> >boxes, an Xbox, and maybe one day run some kind of server so the

all-in-one
> >features of the FG are great.
> >
> >I haven't called Belkin yet because I am not interested in being accused

of
> >user error right off the bat.
> >
> >Thanks.
> >

> Update the router's firmware. It has an update feature built-in.
> That corrected the problem on several Belkin routers with the same

problem.

Let me give that a try. That may be it because I do not recall this garbage
happening early on.