Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Temporary internet files

Temporary internet files

Franz Heymann

I run Windowa 98.
I have 255,342 files in th folder Windows\temporary internet files\
I tried to delete them, using the information in
I followed the instructions quite carefully.
This resulted in furious and continuing disk activity.
After 3/4 hour I decided to abort the lot.
I rebooted and looked at the contents of the folder I mentioned above.
Give or take a few hundreds, the number of files were the same as
before I started.

I repeated the same procedure after rebooting the computer in safe
mode.
The results were no different from what happened in my original
attempt.

What gives?

Franz

why?

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 19:39:51 +0000 (UTC), Franz Heymann wrote:

>I run Windowa 98.
>I have 255,342 files in th folder Windows\temporary internet files\
>I tried to delete them, using the information in
>http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
>I followed the instructions quite carefully.
>This resulted in furious and continuing disk activity.
>After 3/4 hour I decided to abort the lot.

I think you are just going to have to let it run overnight.....

>I rebooted and looked at the contents of the folder I mentioned above.
>Give or take a few hundreds, the number of files were the same as
>before I started.

..... as it seems to have done something.

Try settings the cache size down a bit say 5MB or even 1MB and see if
that does a quicker wipe like a index.dat reset so it doesn't delete /
update index all the time.

>I repeated the same procedure after rebooting the computer in safe
>mode.
>The results were no different from what happened in my original
>attempt.
>
>What gives?

It's a lot of files to delete and update the cache index at the same
time.

Me

Franz Heymann

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

/
> update index all the time.
>
> >I repeated the same procedure after rebooting the computer in safe
> >mode.
> >The results were no different from what happened in my original
> >attempt.
> >
> >What gives?

> It's a lot of files to delete and update the cache index at the same
> time.

Thanks. I'll have another bash.

Franz