Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > lost my "show desktop"

lost my "show desktop"

slowhands

I had an icon down on the left side of toolbare that would pop up the
desktop even if I was deep into several windows. It either went away by
itself or was kidnapped by malicious code. How can I get it back?

°Mike°

Search your Windows\System32 folder for a file called
"Show Desktop.scf". Copy it to your desktop and then
drag it onto the QuickLaunch bar.

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 11:36:41 -0500, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
slowhands scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

sethra

slowhands <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I had an icon down on the left side of toolbare that would pop up the
> desktop even if I was deep into several windows. It either went away
> by itself or was kidnapped by malicious code. How can I get it back?

To re-create the Show Desktop icon on the Quick Launch toolbar:

Use a text editor to create a *text* file with the following lines:

[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop

Save this new file as a Show Desktop.scf in the Windows\System
or Winnt\System32 folder.

Quit Notepad.

Using Windows Explorer or My Computer, right-click the Show Desktop.scf
file, and then click Create Shortcut.

Copy the new shortcut to the appropriate folder. In Windows 95/98:
Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

In Windows 2000/XP, copy the shortcut to
this folder: Winnt\System32

Rename the shortcut to Desktop.

The Show Desktop icon automatically appears on the Quick Launch toolbar.

Cheers,
~sethra