Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows wont boot after I deleted user.exe by mistake!

Windows wont boot after I deleted user.exe by mistake!

M.J.

Hi

I am posting this in the hope that someone out there will be able to
help me to sort my PC out after I've made a major f***-up whilst
accidently deleting the user.exe file (don't ask!).

I was using BCWipe and it started to delete the file. I cancelled the
operation almost immediately but not quickly enough apparently to
allow it to completely scramble everything first.

Now after numerous unsuccessful attempts to reload windows (98 and 95)
the computer will not boot up. When I loaded win 98 and it was
unsuccessful so I loaded up 95 but this too was no good. I have tried
to reload countless times but every time I try to boot up it seems to
go through the setup procedure ok. It prompts me to restart but when
I do I get messages on the screen. The first is:

Invalid setting in the MSDOS.SYS file: WINVER = 4.10.98 (just before
the Windows 95 logo appears).

I have now edited this file (by deleting this line).

Afterwards it appears to carry on as normal but then I get three
messages saying that some files are missing or corrupted in the
registry or SYSTEM.INI file and that some Windows applications will
not function without them. I am then invited to either re-install
these files or uninstall the components that will not run (hope this
makes sense).

The files are:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32\NTKERN.VXD
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32\mtm.VXD
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32\UDF.VXD.

After I attempt to start the computer without these files I am finally
given this message:

Invalid VxD dynamic link call from ND15 (03) + 00000022 to device
"004B", service 800B
Your Windows configuration is invalid. Run the Windows Setup program
again to correct this problem.

Unfortunately I get back to this every time I try to reinstall
Windows.

I have tried restoring an earlier backup of the registry and
C:\scanreg /fix but no joy there either.

If I try booting up in Safe Mode I get a message saying:

SYSTEM FILE ERROR

The following files have been replaced with older versions by a
program you recently ran. These files are currently in use and
cannot be repaired.

C:\ WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDEML.DLL

Windows may not run correctly until you exit and restart Windows so
these files can be automatically repaired.

I tried renaming this file and copying from the sysbckup to system
folder but this didn't work.

I'm getting the same message regarding these files:

C:\ WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mcicda.drv
C:\ WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WINASPI.DLL

Naturally, when I restart the computer nothing changes. Is there any
way I can get myself out of this mess?

Many thanks in advance

MJ

art

If you have a windows disc maybe install it ...hopefully it will overwrite
or replace the broken one ...its an option

or if two hardrives install to second drive then you can access your files
on the other drive
"M.J." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi
>
> I am posting this in the hope that someone out there will be able to
> help me to sort my PC out after I've made a major f***-up whilst
> accidently deleting the user.exe file (don't ask!).
>
> I was using BCWipe and it started to delete the file. I cancelled the
> operation almost immediately but not quickly enough apparently to
> allow it to completely scramble everything first.
>
> Now after numerous unsuccessful attempts to reload windows (98 and 95)
> the computer will not boot up. When I loaded win 98 and it was
> unsuccessful so I loaded up 95 but this too was no good. I have tried
> to reload countless times but every time I try to boot up it seems to
> go through the setup procedure ok. It prompts me to restart but when
> I do I get messages on the screen. The first is:
>
> Invalid setting in the MSDOS.SYS file: WINVER = 4.10.98 (just before
> the Windows 95 logo appears).
>
> I have now edited this file (by deleting this line).
>
> Afterwards it appears to carry on as normal but then I get three
> messages saying that some files are missing or corrupted in the
> registry or SYSTEM.INI file and that some Windows applications will
> not function without them. I am then invited to either re-install
> these files or uninstall the components that will not run (hope this
> makes sense).
>
> The files are:
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32\NTKERN.VXD
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32\mtm.VXD
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32\UDF.VXD.
>
> After I attempt to start the computer without these files I am finally
> given this message:
>
> Invalid VxD dynamic link call from ND15 (03) + 00000022 to device
> "004B", service 800B
> Your Windows configuration is invalid. Run the Windows Setup program
> again to correct this problem.
>
> Unfortunately I get back to this every time I try to reinstall
> Windows.
>
> I have tried restoring an earlier backup of the registry and
> C:\scanreg /fix but no joy there either.
>
> If I try booting up in Safe Mode I get a message saying:
>
> SYSTEM FILE ERROR
>
> The following files have been replaced with older versions by a
> program you recently ran. These files are currently in use and
> cannot be repaired.
>
> C:\ WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDEML.DLL
>
> Windows may not run correctly until you exit and restart Windows so
> these files can be automatically repaired.
>
> I tried renaming this file and copying from the sysbckup to system
> folder but this didn't work.
>
> I'm getting the same message regarding these files:
>
> C:\ WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mcicda.drv
> C:\ WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WINASPI.DLL
>
> Naturally, when I restart the computer nothing changes. Is there any
> way I can get myself out of this mess?
>
> Many thanks in advance
>

> MJ

°Mike°

Install Windows into another folder.

How to Install Windows 98 Into a New Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=193902

On 4 Oct 2004 06:30:57 -0700, in
<(E-Mail Removed) >
M.J. scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

M.J.

Hi thanks for your responses.

I have tried to re-install win98 to another directory following the
link http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=193902

I already have a boot disk so I skipped the first part, but I seem to
have fallen at the second hurdle i.e.

Running Setup from the Windows 98 CD-ROM

First I have changed the drive letter to E, being the drive letter of
my CD-ROM drive, as instructed.

I am then told "To prevent other support issues from occurring" I must
rename the Program Files folder. It says:

To do so, type the following commands at the command prompt, pressing
ENTER after each line:

cd\
c:\windows\command\move progra~1 oldprog

This I have done but I receive the message

Cannot move progra~1 - no such file or directory

I have looked using the edit.com facility from the floppy and sure
enough, there it is on the hard drive...any ideas as to what's
happening?

yours in confusion

MJ

°Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<41699300.3864671@localhost>...
> [...]
> >Windows.
> >
> >I have tried restoring an earlier backup of the registry and
> >C:\scanreg /fix but no joy there either.
> >
> >If I try booting up in Safe Mode I get a message saying:
> >
> >SYSTEM FILE ERROR
> >
> >The following files have been replaced with older versions by a
> >program you recently ran. These files are currently in use and
> >cannot be repaired.
> >
> >C:\ WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDEML.DLL
> >
> >Windows may not run correctly until you exit and restart Windows so
> >these files can be automatically repaired.
> >
> >I tried renaming this file and copying from the sysbckup to system
> >folder but this didn't work.
> >
> >I'm getting the same message regarding these files:
> >
> >C:\ WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mcicda.drv
> >C:\ WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WINASPI.DLL
> >
> >Naturally, when I restart the computer nothing changes. Is there any

Jon Splane

"M.J." wrote:

> Hi thanks for your responses.
>
> I have tried to re-install win98 to another directory following the
> link http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=193902
>
> I already have a boot disk so I skipped the first part, but I seem to
> have fallen at the second hurdle i.e.
>
> Running Setup from the Windows 98 CD-ROM
>
> First I have changed the drive letter to E, being the drive letter of
> my CD-ROM drive, as instructed.
>
> I am then told "To prevent other support issues from occurring" I must
> rename the Program Files folder. It says:
>
> To do so, type the following commands at the command prompt, pressing
> ENTER after each line:
>
> cd\
> c:\windows\command\move progra~1 oldprog
>
> This I have done but I receive the message
>
> Cannot move progra~1 - no such file or directory
>
> I have looked using the edit.com facility from the floppy and sure
> enough, there it is on the hard drive...any ideas as to what's
> happening?
>
> yours in confusion
>
> MJ
>
> °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<41699300.3864671@localhost>...
> > Install Windows into another folder.
> >
> > How to Install Windows 98 Into a New Folder
> >

> > On 4 Oct 2004 06:30:57 -0700, in
> > <(E-Mail Removed) >
> > M.J. scrawled:

Try this instead "c:\windows\command\move C:\progra~1 oldprog"

Jon

M.J.

Hi Jon

Tried this; first time I was returned to C:\ prompt. Tried again and
recieved "bad file or command" message.

The next step suggested on the MS help page is to move the windows
directory by typing a similar command i.e.

cd\
c:\windows\command\move windows oldwin

This worked fine and I recieved a confirmation message something like
"move windows oldwin [ok]"

Checking with edit.com tells me that Crogra~1 is still there...

I think things are complicated further by the fact that I have now
installed win95 over win98. I have two CD-ROMs for win 98 and neither
is allowing me to load it. The first disk is stating that I already
have an OS installed and that this disk is for computers which don't.
It prompts me to use the windows 98se update disk which, when I try to
load it tells me "this requires Microsoft Windows"

If I had any hair left to tear out...

Perhaps I need to try something drastic?

Cheers

MJ
Jon Splane <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "M.J." wrote:
> >

> > Hi thanks for your responses.
> >

> > I have tried to re-install win98 to another directory following the
> > link http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=193902
> >

> > I already have a boot disk so I skipped the first part, but I seem to
> > have fallen at the second hurdle i.e.
> >

> > Running Setup from the Windows 98 CD-ROM
> >

> > First I have changed the drive letter to E, being the drive letter of
> > my CD-ROM drive, as instructed.
> >

> > I am then told "To prevent other support issues from occurring" I must
> > rename the Program Files folder. It says:
> >

> > To do so, type the following commands at the command prompt, pressing
> > ENTER after each line:
> >

> > cd\
> > c:\windows\command\move progra~1 oldprog
> >

> > This I have done but I receive the message
> >

> > Cannot move progra~1 - no such file or directory
> >

> > I have looked using the edit.com facility from the floppy and sure
> > enough, there it is on the hard drive...any ideas as to what's
> > happening?
> >

> > yours in confusion
> >

> > MJ
> >

> > Mike <qp mike http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<41699300.38646

> 71@localhost>...
> > > Install Windows into another folder.
> > >
> > > How to Install Windows 98 Into a New Folder
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=193902
> > >

> > > On 4 Oct 2004 06:30:57 -0700, in
> > > <(E-Mail Removed) >
> > > M.J. scrawled:

> Try this instead "c:\windows\command\move C:\progra~1 oldprog"
>
> Jon

Ingeborg

(E-Mail Removed) (M.J.) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) m:

> I have two CD-ROMs for win 98 and neither
> is allowing me to load it. The first disk is stating that I already
> have an OS installed and that this disk is for computers which don't.

You can bypass this by renaming win.com, which is in C:\Windows,
C:\Oldwin in your situation.

> It prompts me to use the windows 98se update disk which, when I try to
> load it tells me "this requires Microsoft Windows"

It's an update. You're supposed to be running an older version.

°Mike°

<Sigh!>

Start from scratch:
http://www.netpathway.com/~kramer/reinstall.html

On 6 Oct 2004 02:38:16 -0700, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
M.J. scrawled:

<snip>

>I think things are complicated further by the fact that I have now
>installed win95 over win98.

<snip>

--

"M.J." wrote:

> Hi Jon
>
> Tried this; first time I was returned to C:\ prompt. Tried again and
> recieved "bad file or command" message.
>
> The next step suggested on the MS help page is to move the windows
> directory by typing a similar command i.e.
>
> cd\
> c:\windows\command\move windows oldwin
>
> This worked fine and I recieved a confirmation message something like
> "move windows oldwin [ok]"
>
> Checking with edit.com tells me that Crogra~1 is still there...
>
> I think things are complicated further by the fact that I have now
> installed win95 over win98. I have two CD-ROMs for win 98 and neither
> is allowing me to load it. The first disk is stating that I already
> have an OS installed and that this disk is for computers which don't.
> It prompts me to use the windows 98se update disk which, when I try to
> load it tells me "this requires Microsoft Windows"
>
> If I had any hair left to tear out...
>
> Perhaps I need to try something drastic?
>
> Cheers
>
> MJ
> Jon Splane <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > "M.J." wrote:
> > >

> > > Hi thanks for your responses.
> > >

> > > I have tried to re-install win98 to another directory following the
> > > link http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=193902
> > >

> > > I already have a boot disk so I skipped the first part, but I seem to
> > > have fallen at the second hurdle i.e.
> > >

> > > Running Setup from the Windows 98 CD-ROM
> > >

> > > First I have changed the drive letter to E, being the drive letter of
> > > my CD-ROM drive, as instructed.
> > >

> > > I am then told "To prevent other support issues from occurring" I must
> > > rename the Program Files folder. It says:
> > >

> > > To do so, type the following commands at the command prompt, pressing
> > > ENTER after each line:
> > >

> > > cd\
> > > c:\windows\command\move progra~1 oldprog
> > >

> > > This I have done but I receive the message
> > >

> > > Cannot move progra~1 - no such file or directory
> > >

> > > I have looked using the edit.com facility from the floppy and sure
> > > enough, there it is on the hard drive...any ideas as to what's
> > > happening?
> > >

> > > yours in confusion
> > >

> > > MJ
> > >

> > > Mike <qp mike (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<41699300.38646

> > 71@localhost>...

> > Try this instead "c:\windows\command\move C:\progra~1 oldprog"
> >
> > Jon

The first time you entered the correct command it worked and renamed the
folder. That is why you got the error message the second time you did
it. Being returned to the DOS prompt after entering a command generally
means the command executed successfully. It couldn't find the PROGRA~1
folder the second time. At the C:\> prompt do a "DIR PROGRA~1" and you
will see the folder by that name is not there. Try "DIR OLDPROG" and
see if that folder is there now.

See Ingeborg's advice RE: renaming the file WIN.COM in the C:\WINDOWS
folder also. You will need to do this with at least some types of
installation CDs. "REN C:\WINDOWS\WIN.COM WIN.OLD"

Jon

M.J.

Hi Jon

At the C:\> prompt do a "DIR PROGRA~1" and you
> will see the folder by that name is not there. Try "DIR OLDPROG" and
> see if that folder is there now.

Actually it is still there and oldprog is "file not found" - curiouser
and curiouser...!

> See Ingeborg's advice RE: renaming the file WIN.COM in the C:\WINDOWS
> folder also. You will need to do this with at least some types of
> installation CDs. "REN C:\WINDOWS\WIN.COM WIN.OLD"

I tried typing in (at the C:\ and E:\ prompt) "REN C:\WINDOWS\WIN.COM
WIN.OLD" but am receiving "path not found" message. As you can
probably tell, my knowledge of dos is rudimentary at best so maybe I'm
missing something, but haven't I already renamed C:\WINDOWS to
WIN.OLD?

I am not keen to re-format my hard drive because there are some files
on it that I do not want to lose but if I can't find another way out
of this mess I guess that's what I'll have to do.

Any more suggestions before I nuke everything will be gratefully
received :-{

Cheers

MJ