Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Where's the bootloader

Where's the bootloader

Use.Netuser.de

Have a dual boot SuSE/XPP System and want XP to be the default boot OS.
Anyone know where the bootloader is so I can edit it?
The boot.ini file only has XP detailed so must be another file somewhere.
Thanks

PS Using Grub on SuSE

grayghost

"Use.Netuser.de" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Have a dual boot SuSE/XPP System and want XP to be the default boot OS.
> Anyone know where the bootloader is so I can edit it?
> The boot.ini file only has XP detailed so must be another file somewhere.
> Thanks
>
> PS Using Grub on SuSE

Have you checked /boot ?

why?

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 16:19:18 +0100, Use.Netuser.de wrote:

>Have a dual boot SuSE/XPP System and want XP to be the default boot OS.
>Anyone know where the bootloader is so I can edit it?
>The boot.ini file only has XP detailed so must be another file somewhere.
>Thanks

Before boot.ini or any bit of an OS runs the PC BIOS looks at the master
boot record, MBR then something like GRUB runs.

Look in /boot

>PS Using Grub on SuSE

www.google.com finds quite quickly,

grub overview
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2002/0..._overview.html
As stated above, changes to this menu will be adopted automatically the
next time the system is booted.

For more specific information on booting DOS/Windows operating systems
please refer to the articles Booting Windows from the Second HD
(http://portal.suse.com//sdb/en/2002/...grub_win1.html ) and
Booting Multiple Windows Installations from One Hard Disk
(http://portal.suse.com//sdb/en/2002/...grub_win2.html ).

Me

Willem van der Berg

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 16:19:18 +0100, Use.Netuser.de wrote:

> Have a dual boot SuSE/XPP System and want XP to be the default boot OS.
> Anyone know where the bootloader is so I can edit it? The boot.ini file
> only has XP detailed so must be another file somewhere. Thanks
>
> PS Using Grub on SuSE

The easiest way is to login to KDE and look for the bootloader settings
(YaST on SuSE?). You can change the default OS easily there, no need to
manually edit any files.

Willem

Use.Netuser.de

"Willem van der Berg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 16:19:18 +0100, Use.Netuser.de wrote:
>
> > Have a dual boot SuSE/XPP System and want XP to be the default boot OS.
> > Anyone know where the bootloader is so I can edit it? The boot.ini file
> > only has XP detailed so must be another file somewhere. Thanks
> >
> > PS Using Grub on SuSE

> The easiest way is to login to KDE and look for the bootloader settings
> (YaST on SuSE?). You can change the default OS easily there, no need to
> manually edit any files.
>
> Willem

Thanks people that's just what I needed ... will check out YAST.