Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Computer Goes Round and Round Checking

Computer Goes Round and Round Checking

Alan

Hi, from one who is so fed up that I could chuck the Bl***dy thing through
the window.

Desperate for help so exscuse the long-winded outline.
Can turn on PC, everything fine for several hours OR it could go down within
a few minutes. Usually ok in the morning.
Then the fun begins: It tells me that the Disk needs to be checked for
consistancy. But I is so erratic that I can't tie it down as to when it's
going to happen. Have removed some software so running on the barest minium.

It goes down and goes through this system of checking etc. giving disk
serial
no, FAT32, makes corrections to files etc. file linking of names or
something. File names
changed. All too fast to read.

Then the fun really starts, it does the same thing again, and again and so
on. Even
if I turn it off to start it may do the same again. Then I try starting it
in Safe Mode and sometimes with difficulty it will start properly.

System Restore does'nt help. Firewalls and Anti-Virus working.
One other point, sometimes everything goes black and shuts down when or if I
click on
the floppy drive or CD-ROM icon.

Also I somehow loaded WindowsXP (upgrade) to a time in the
future. 2020 or something, and can't remove the backup of Windows.

A few PC Details:
Age: 3 or 4 years old HP, Celeron 1.10 GHz, 197 RAM and a 40 GB Hard Drive.
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 10 GenuineIntel ~1102 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies LTD 2.10, 08/05/2001
SMBIOS Version 2.31
Total Physical Memory 192.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 36.82 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 466.45 MB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

philo

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cjj1al$oi3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, from one who is so fed up that I could chuck the Bl***dy thing through
> the window.
>
> Desperate for help so exscuse the long-winded outline.
> Can turn on PC, everything fine for several hours OR it could go down
> within
> a few minutes. Usually ok in the morning.
> Then the fun begins: It tells me that the Disk needs to be checked for
> consistancy. But I is so erratic that I can't tie it down as to when it's
> going to happen. Have removed some software so running on the barest
> minium.
>
> It goes down and goes through this system of checking etc. giving disk
> serial
> no, FAT32, makes corrections to files etc. file linking of names or
> something. File names
> changed. All too fast to read.
>
> Then the fun really starts, it does the same thing again, and again and so
> on. Even
> if I turn it off to start it may do the same again. Then I try starting it
> in Safe Mode and sometimes with difficulty it will start properly.
>
> System Restore does'nt help. Firewalls and Anti-Virus working.
> One other point, sometimes everything goes black and shuts down when or if
> click on
> the floppy drive or CD-ROM icon.

a couple of things to try:

run a RAM test or just plain substitute TAM

run a harddrive diagnostic

also try clocking down slightly

Dan Evans

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cjj1al$oi3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, from one who is so fed up that I could chuck the Bl***dy thing through
> the window.

Try it with different memory, or if you have a local techy shop with proper
techs - take your memory in to be checked.

Dan

Alan

Many Thanks to all gave this dumbo advice LOL

ImhoTech

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cjj1al$oi3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, from one who is so fed up that I could chuck the Bl***dy thing through
> the window.

Jump! Jump! Jump!

AD

Anything worthwhile and relevent to say?

"ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cjj1al$oi3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi, from one who is so fed up that I could chuck the Bl***dy thing

through
> > the window.
> >

> Jump! Jump! Jump!

Monroe Dowling

Alan wrote:
> Hi, from one who is so fed up that I could chuck the Bl***dy thing through
> the window.
>
> Desperate for help so exscuse the long-winded outline.
> Can turn on PC, everything fine for several hours OR it could go down within
> a few minutes. Usually ok in the morning.
> Then the fun begins: It tells me that the Disk needs to be checked for
> consistancy. But I is so erratic that I can't tie it down as to when it's
> going to happen. Have removed some software so running on the barest minium.
>
> It goes down and goes through this system of checking etc. giving disk
> serial
> no, FAT32, makes corrections to files etc. file linking of names or
> something. File names
> changed. All too fast to read.
>
> Then the fun really starts, it does the same thing again, and again and so
> on. Even
> if I turn it off to start it may do the same again. Then I try starting it
> in Safe Mode and sometimes with difficulty it will start properly.
>
> System Restore does'nt help. Firewalls and Anti-Virus working.
> One other point, sometimes everything goes black and shuts down when or if I
> click on
> the floppy drive or CD-ROM icon.
>
> Also I somehow loaded WindowsXP (upgrade) to a time in the
> future. 2020 or something, and can't remove the backup of Windows.
>
> A few PC Details:
> Age: 3 or 4 years old HP, Celeron 1.10 GHz, 197 RAM and a 40 GB Hard Drive.
> OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
> Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
> System Type X86-based PC
> Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 10 GenuineIntel ~1102 Mhz
> BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies LTD 2.10, 08/05/2001
> SMBIOS Version 2.31
> Total Physical Memory 192.00 MB
> Available Physical Memory 36.82 MB
> Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
> Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
> Page File Space 466.45 MB
> Page File C:\pagefile.sys

This is difficult to decipher - can you provide more detail about the
errors that come up when you turn on your computer. The most popular
virus that is on pcs now shuttind down computers is the sasser worm.
you may have this but I would need more info. I will try to follow up
if you would like if you can provide more info

Monroe