Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can't make Logitech software see webcam

Can't make Logitech software see webcam

Eos

Since installing SP2, my Logitech webcam keeps telling me the camera is
already in use by another program. As far as I can tell, it's NOT, but
that's the message I keep getting. It works with Windows Messenger, but will
not work with the Image Studio software which came on the CD I got along
with the webcam. I also get the same message from Window's Movie Maker. I
have searched all over my PC for this mysterious program that's supposed to
be using my webcam, but I just don't see any other programs which use a
webcam. I don't use Yahoo, or ICQ or anything....'just Messenger. Is there
some program or app., I've overlooked in Windows XP Pro? I've been at this
for more than a week now uninstalling and re-installing the software on the
CD, but have had no luck at all.
Any help appreciated.
Eos.

(My cam is a Logitech QuickCam Express).

Paul - xxx

Eos vaguely muttered something like ...
> Since installing SP2, my Logitech webcam keeps telling me the camera is
> already in use by another program. As far as I can tell, it's NOT, but
> that's the message I keep getting. It works with Windows Messenger, but
> will not work with the Image Studio software which came on the CD I got
> along with the webcam. I also get the same message from Window's Movie
> Maker. I have searched all over my PC for this mysterious program that's
> supposed to be using my webcam, but I just don't see any other programs
> which use a webcam. I don't use Yahoo, or ICQ or anything....'just
> Messenger. Is there some program or app., I've overlooked in Windows XP
> Pro? I've been at this for more than a week now uninstalling and
> re-installing the software on the CD, but have had no luck at all.
> Any help appreciated.
> Eos.
>
> (My cam is a Logitech QuickCam Express).

Start the computer up without the webcam plugged in, plug it in and see if
the computer sees it as 'new hardware' and let it install drivers etc as
required.

--
Paul ...

(8(|) Homer Rules !!!

Eos

"Paul - xxx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Eos vaguely muttered something like ...
>> Since installing SP2, my Logitech webcam keeps telling me the camera is
>> already in use by another program. As far as I can tell, it's NOT, but
>> that's the message I keep getting. It works with Windows Messenger, but
>> will not work with the Image Studio software which came on the CD I got
>> along with the webcam. I also get the same message from Window's Movie
>> Maker. I have searched all over my PC for this mysterious program that's
>> supposed to be using my webcam, but I just don't see any other programs
>> which use a webcam. I don't use Yahoo, or ICQ or anything....'just
>> Messenger. Is there some program or app., I've overlooked in Windows XP
>> Pro? I've been at this for more than a week now uninstalling and
>> re-installing the software on the CD, but have had no luck at all.
>> Any help appreciated.
>> Eos.
>>
>> (My cam is a Logitech QuickCam Express).

> Start the computer up without the webcam plugged in, plug it in and see if
> the computer sees it as 'new hardware' and let it install drivers etc as
> required.
>
> --
> Paul ...
>
> (8(|) Homer Rules !!!
>
> "A tosser is a tosser, no matter what mode of transport they're using."

Done it. It says it's installing the driver, but then when I start the
software I get the same old message. ;(
The driver IS there in Device Manager and it says it's working.....'hmm!

Curiosity....'what is "WDM Video for windows capture driver (Win32)"?
I saw it in Device Manger under Legacy Video Capture Devices.
(Can I get rid of it? Would it help?).

Eos.

Dr Hackenbush

"Eos" <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrackets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
news:erE6d.163263$(E-Mail Removed) .uk...
> Since installing SP2, my Logitech webcam keeps telling me the camera is
> already in use by another program. As far as I can tell, it's NOT, but
> that's the message I keep getting. It works with Windows Messenger, but
> will not work with the Image Studio software which came on the CD I got
> along with the webcam. I also get the same message from Window's Movie
> Maker. I have searched all over my PC for this mysterious program that's
> supposed to be using my webcam, but I just don't see any other programs
> which use a webcam. I don't use Yahoo, or ICQ or anything....'just
> Messenger. Is there some program or app., I've overlooked in Windows XP
> Pro? I've been at this for more than a week now uninstalling and
> re-installing the software on the CD, but have had no luck at all.
> Any help appreciated.
> Eos.
>
> (My cam is a Logitech QuickCam Express).

I tried 3 logitech cameras and each time the drivers/software that came with
the camera turned out to be absolute shite.
I still have some other apps on my machine that will not run if i uninstall
the logitech software.
On somebody elses machine the only way I got the cameras inbuilt mic to
work was to uninstall all the software that comes with the cam and just
leave on the bare driver, but it still ****s up the joystick.
This is all in the past 3 months with brand new PCs and accessories and XP
Home.

Give Logitech the boot and get another make, i've gone back to my old Intel
camera, which is about 5 years old, and using the inbuilt drivers with XP
and no problems