Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How Do I disable MSN Messenger from running in XP

How Do I disable MSN Messenger from running in XP

Andre Bennett

Xp Professional, and i have a problem with the kids in my classroom using
MSN Messenger to chat while I am teaching Class and some have used it to
cheat ... and Is there away for me to also Disable Trillian, seeimg that it
opens all the IMs

Jerry G.

If you don't really need it, why not just uninstall it. Then nobody will
have access to it.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Andre Bennett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qdr6d.8420$(E-Mail Removed).. .
Xp Professional, and i have a problem with the kids in my classroom
using
MSN Messenger to chat while I am teaching Class and some have used it to
cheat ... and Is there away for me to also Disable Trillian, seeimg that
it
opens all the IMs

Doug

There are several program you can download that are on a trial basis,
meaning you would have to purchase them after the trial is up, however.. I
did find one that works that is free to download, see link below.

http://www.handyarchive.com/Utilitie...lder-Lock.html

// Doug

Doug

hmm, well the program turns out to have a 15 use limit.. so not free, but
here is one that is

WinGuard Pro 2004 5.6.5 (Free Edition)
http://www.itweek.co.uk/downloads/1153721

WinGuard Pro Free Edition offers a simple yet effective method of locking
numerous aspects of Windows to prevent tampering.

It can be used to lock programs, folders or files and a few other predefined
elements. Once locked these items are only accessible to those with the
correct password.

A small icon sits in the system tray (although this can be hidden if you
would prefer). The program is password protected for security.

Program locking is limited to 20 pre-selected programs that include
ScanDisk, Registry Editor, Remove Programs, Outlook Express, Internet
Options and Windows Media Player.

Absolutely any file or folder can be encrypted or decrypted at the click of
a button.

Other items such as the Desktop, Windows Explorer and Task Manager can also
be locked.

// Doug

Elco

"Andre Bennett" < schreef ...
> Xp Professional, and i have a problem with the kids in my classroom using
> MSN Messenger to chat while I am teaching Class and some have used it to
> cheat ... and Is there away for me to also Disable Trillian, seeimg that
> it opens all the IMs

Try this...

http://support.earthlink.net/mu/1/ps.../1584.psc.html

--
grtz......Elco

PuppyKatt

Uninstall it via Add/Remove Programs.

"Andre Bennett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qdr6d.8420$(E-Mail Removed).. .
: Xp Professional, and i have a problem with the kids in my classroom
using
: MSN Messenger to chat while I am teaching Class and some have used it
: cheat ... and Is there away for me to also Disable Trillian, seeimg
that it
: opens all the IMs
:
:

Andre Bennett

Thanks for the suggestions but uninstalling it doesn't work , because even
though I have created accounts for them that are Limited access user
accounts they can still redownload it and reinstall. So Add/Remove doesn't
help... one thing I tried was the command gpedit.msc and disabling from
there ... it appeared to work .. I did that yeasterday ... but then they
installed Trillian which is another IM ( that incorporate MSN, AOL, ICQ, and
two other IMs not sure .. and they got around it that way

Claude

mAineAc

Andre Bennett wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions but uninstalling it doesn't work , because even
> though I have created accounts for them that are Limited access user
> accounts they can still redownload it and reinstall. So Add/Remove doesn't
> help... one thing I tried was the command gpedit.msc and disabling from
> there ... it appeared to work .. I did that yeasterday ... but then they
> installed Trillian which is another IM ( that incorporate MSN, AOL, ICQ, and
> two other IMs not sure .. and they got around it that way

go into their account set ups and disable the ability for them to
install stuff. And you can use the hosts file to block sites that supply
trillian. all you have to do there is put in something like:
'69.59.212.64 localhost' to block the trillian site.

mAineAc

Andre Bennett

thanks for the help will try these suggestions thanks

news:v0x6d.10864$(E-Mail Removed). ..