Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Question about ATX12V PSU and P4

Question about ATX12V PSU and P4

Rey Mo

I want to replace the PSU on a Pavilion 7960 with a beefier one and
when I opened the case to look at the current config, I saw something
which is perplexing... There's the standard ATX power cable and then
an ATX12V cable (looks like a sqaure 4-pin connector). There's also a
connector on the motherboard for the ATX12V cable, but it wasn't being
used. Can someone explain to me why it shipped like this, if there are
conenctors on both the PSU and the motherboard?

Also, I'd appreciate if anyone could confirm or challenge my reasons
for wanting to replace the PSU. Basically, my video card crapped out
on me, so I replaced it with a new AGP ATI 7000. I took the
opportunity to do a long overdue clean install of XP as well. After
several hours of use, the video kicked out again. I was able to get it
back only by resetting the CMOS on the motherboard. I am guessing now
that perhaps its the PSU that is being pushed to hard. It came with a
wimpy 150 watt micro-ATX PSU, so I thought maybe a new 230 watt or
greater PSU would do the trick. Does this seem logical?

Thanks!

Smoker

"Rey Mo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I want to replace the PSU on a Pavilion 7960 with a beefier one and
> when I opened the case to look at the current config, I saw something
> which is perplexing... There's the standard ATX power cable and then
> an ATX12V cable (looks like a sqaure 4-pin connector). There's also a
> connector on the motherboard for the ATX12V cable, but it wasn't being
> used. Can someone explain to me why it shipped like this, if there are
> conenctors on both the PSU and the motherboard?
>
> Also, I'd appreciate if anyone could confirm or challenge my reasons
> for wanting to replace the PSU. Basically, my video card crapped out
> on me, so I replaced it with a new AGP ATI 7000. I took the
> opportunity to do a long overdue clean install of XP as well. After
> several hours of use, the video kicked out again. I was able to get it
> back only by resetting the CMOS on the motherboard. I am guessing now
> that perhaps its the PSU that is being pushed to hard. It came with a
> wimpy 150 watt micro-ATX PSU, so I thought maybe a new 230 watt or
> greater PSU would do the trick. Does this seem logical?

I think the square connector was an Intel idea to upgrade the ATX spec,
maybe when P4s were about to come out. I know that it adds more stability
when we AMD users plug it in and it's often been advised by mobo mfrs.

The days of choosing a PSU by the rated total watts is long gone. The specs
on the label on the side of your power supply is more important and the
Total Combined Output (TCO) of the +3.3v and +5v rails should be at least
around 220W. It's not a good idea to buy a cheap 300W unit anymore. AS time
passes you have video cards now that use maybe 60W, a mobo that uses 35W or
40W, 10W for each 128MB of RAM, 20W - 25W for each hard drive, maybe 30W for
a CD/RW, plus floppy drive, sound card, fans, etc. When you cold boot your
hardware needs all that from the PSU to power everything up for ready use. A
reboot doesn't require near as much because all that stuff is already
started. You should allow for adding more RAM, a higher powered video card,
and any other possible upgrades you might be making in the future. It's
better to future-proof yourself and buy a quality unit like Antec or Enermax
and preferably over 400W. You can get by with something like a 350W Codegen,
but they're know to die in 6 months or so, especially if you play games or
overclock.

AMD publishes a list of approved power supplies and it's total b.s. How can
they guess what you're going to equip your machine with., so recommended
lists are pretty useless as it depends on your circumstances and hardware.
PC Power & Cooling makes the best PSUs but they are way too expensive for
the average user.

Rey Mo

> I think the square connector was an Intel idea to upgrade the ATX spec,
> maybe when P4s were about to come out. I know that it adds more stability
> when we AMD users plug it in and it's often been advised by mobo mfrs.

I guess I am going to leave that one disconnected when I get the new
PSU, as it always worked fine without it. Then again, I'm not quick to
trust the wisdom of HP, as they did use the cheapest PSU to start
with!

Thanks a bunch for your advice, smoker. Unfortunately, since this is a
micro ATX board, my PSU options are very limited. In fact, after doing
a bunch of searching on the web, its hard to find a PSU rated higher
than 250 watts.

Thanks again!

Rey