Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows Security Alerts

Windows Security Alerts

Puzzled

I have installed SP2 without problems other than this one - it runs a
security alert and pops up with a warning before the computer has even
finished booting up. The message says that XP sees Norton but its status
is unknown, then warns me to do something about it. What I would like to
do about it is to stop the Security Alerts from running in the first
place. But I cannot find it listed in Start-Up or by using msconfig. Help
.... puhleeeze!

Unk

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 01:34:14 -0400, "Puzzled" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have installed SP2 without problems other than this one - it runs a
>security alert and pops up with a warning before the computer has even
>finished booting up. The message says that XP sees Norton but its status
>is unknown, then warns me to do something about it. What I would like to
>do about it is to stop the Security Alerts from running in the first
>place. But I cannot find it listed in Start-Up or by using msconfig. Help
>... puhleeeze!

Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Security Center.
Click the Virus Protection "Recommendations..." button, and check the box,
"I have an antivirus program (etc, etc), and "OK" your way out.

Ron Martell

"Puzzled" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have installed SP2 without problems other than this one - it runs a
>security alert and pops up with a warning before the computer has even
>finished booting up. The message says that XP sees Norton but its status
>is unknown, then warns me to do something about it. What I would like to
>do about it is to stop the Security Alerts from running in the first
>place. But I cannot find it listed in Start-Up or by using msconfig. Help
>... puhleeeze!

What version of Norton to you have? Symantec has patches for some of
their versions for this problem.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

The Tech Guy

Depending on your version of norton
all u might need to do is launch live update and manually update norton
or check out

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/sp2/faq.html

--
Jason

For all your Spyware, Adware, Virus Removal & File Sharing tools
http://www.supportcave.com/spy-sweeper.html

news:(E-Mail Removed)...