Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can't connect to FTP servers

Can't connect to FTP servers

Jim Berwick

"Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> I have never used such software and can only go by what the OP posted.
> Yes, I have port forwarded ports 20 and 21 on the router for FTP on
> IIS when I have needed to open the ports for the FTP site.

Right, if you are running an FTP server you'll need ports forwarded. I
should be able to connect to your FTP server even if I have no port
forwarding, and the fact that I have an XP SP2 machine with firewall turned
on, behind a NAT router with SPI and no forwarded ports and connect to FTP
servers all day long indicates that I'm right.

Duane Arnold

Jim Berwick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> "Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
>> I have never used such software and can only go by what the OP
>> posted. Yes, I have port forwarded ports 20 and 21 on the router for
>> FTP on IIS when I have needed to open the ports for the FTP site.
>>

> Right, if you are running an FTP server you'll need ports forwarded.
> I should be able to connect to your FTP server even if I have no port
> forwarding, and the fact that I have an XP SP2 machine with firewall
> turned on, behind a NAT router with SPI and no forwarded ports and
> connect to FTP servers all day long indicates that I'm right.

Of course you're right, since your machine is behind a NAT router or a
hardware or software FW when the machine solicited the traffic from the
remote site. If the traffic is solicited, the FW or NAT router will
allow the inbound traffic to the machine. That is called statefulness.

If inbound traffic is unsolicited to the NAT router or to a hardware or
software FW, then the inbound traffic will be stopped by either one of
them. Like I said, I have never used a FTP client software on any machine
and have no need for one and only assumed the OP was giving valid
information. I can use IE or go to the Command Prompt and connect to a
FTP server though any FW unless the FW has rules set to stop inbound or
outbound on the required ports.

Duane

Pseudoxenasma Antiquata Suratensis Closterovirus

Duane Arnold, <(E-Mail Removed)>, the stinking, blotto feather, and employee
who catches starlings for selling in pies, castigated:

--
You stumbling, disgraceful, shitty pygmy.

Duane Arnold

Pseudoxenasma Antiquata Suratensis Closterovirus wrote:

> Duane Arnold, <(E-Mail Removed)>, the stinking, blotto feather, and
> employee who catches starlings for selling in pies, castigated:
>
>> I am amazed that my knuckles don't bleed when I walk.

What? Have you been sitting there all that time waiting for me? K-Bitch let
me tell you how well I know and understand a *HO* like you. You need to
take your face out of that case of potato chips and the case of donuts
that's a lot sugar and carbs for you baby. You need to get your *fat
ass* out the bed, your *fat ass* out from in front of the TV, and your *fat
ass* out from in front of the computer screen and find yourself a *Computer
Man*. You know the one you have been advertising for the one and only
*K-MAN* or *Kaditcha MAN* the other *you*. The only one out of the
multiples of you that you need.

K-Baby I know you. You're one of these low self-esteem bitches that's been
treated bad and molested in your life time. You're either a young fat *HO*,
a middle aged fat *HO* or an old over the hill fat *HO*. You may be all
three *HO(s)*. And that's why you are out here taking it out on the
Internet, because you have been mis-treated, you are mad, and you're on the
*rag* 24/7 365.

Either get yourself a *Computer MAN* that *K-MAN* that *Kaditcha MAN* or
smoke yourself a mass quantity of *Crack*, get on your *cow* and you and
the *cow* ride West to the Jersey Maid Rehabilitation Center. That way you
and your cow-girl friend can have your hooves pinned in the dirt.

You should have a little *fun* in your sorry life.

--
Duane

I run MS XP Pro and SuSE Linux Pro and I like both of them.

Gazameda Brunneolinea Purpurea

Duane Arnold, <(E-Mail Removed)>, the gastric, horsey gasbag, and bleacher,
agonised:

--
You squinting, ape-like, sniffling minnow.

Martin O'Brien

--
I'm out of sick days, so I'm calling in dead.

Andy Louey Andy Louey is offline
Junior Member

Try this I had the same problem: add the FTP site you are trying to connect to as follows: Internet explorer version 7/tools/internet options/security/ trusted sites/sites add the address of the site in most cases it will default to the current address in your browser if that isnít the address of the FTP site remove the default and add the correct ftp address. Also in some cases using a wireless router wonít work try connecting to your router via the cable supplied? Hope that works for you Cheers Andy