Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows explorer crash when using Media Player

Windows explorer crash when using Media Player

Daveyboy

HI,

When I use Windows Media Player to watch movies or any kind of video,
after it starts up - about 5 seconds after - I get a fault window
saying it must close down -- 2 windows actually -- 1 for explorer and
1 for the media player Then when I do shut down and close the windows
I lose the quick launch on the taskbar and must re-organize the quick
launch functions -- I tried with another viewer (Ace Media Player) and
the same thing happened...It only happens once in a while on certain
videos....not all..............for instance I watched the first half
of TROY, the movie and it went fine..........then when I tried to
watch the second half all of the above happened..........it didn't do
it on the first half..............

????

Thanks

Unk

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:39:37 GMT, Daveyboy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>HI,
>
>When I use Windows Media Player to watch movies or any kind of video,
>after it starts up - about 5 seconds after - I get a fault window
>saying it must close down -- 2 windows actually -- 1 for explorer and
>1 for the media player Then when I do shut down and close the windows
>I lose the quick launch on the taskbar and must re-organize the quick
>launch functions -- I tried with another viewer (Ace Media Player) and
>the same thing happened...It only happens once in a while on certain
>videos....not all..............for instance I watched the first half
>of TROY, the movie and it went fine..........then when I tried to
>watch the second half all of the above happened..........it didn't do
>it on the first half..............
>
>????
>
>Thanks

Try WMP version 10
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...ad/default.asp

Daveyboy

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 13:50:10 -0400, Unk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:39:37 GMT, Daveyboy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>HI,
>>
>>When I use Windows Media Player to watch movies or any kind of video,
>>after it starts up - about 5 seconds after - I get a fault window
>>saying it must close down -- 2 windows actually -- 1 for explorer and
>>1 for the media player Then when I do shut down and close the windows
>>I lose the quick launch on the taskbar and must re-organize the quick
>>launch functions -- I tried with another viewer (Ace Media Player) and
>>the same thing happened...It only happens once in a while on certain
>>videos....not all..............for instance I watched the first half
>>of TROY, the movie and it went fine..........then when I tried to
>>watch the second half all of the above happened..........it didn't do
>>it on the first half..............
>>
>>????
>>
>>Thanks

>Try WMP version 10
>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...ad/default.asp

Tried that --- same thing..............

Elco

"Daveyboy" schreef ...
> HI,
>
> When I use Windows Media Player to watch movies or any kind of video,
> after it starts up - about 5 seconds after - I get a fault window
> saying it must close down -- 2 windows actually -- 1 for explorer and
> 1 for the media player Then when I do shut down and close the windows
> I lose the quick launch on the taskbar and must re-organize the quick
> launch functions -- I tried with another viewer (Ace Media Player) and
> the same thing happened...It only happens once in a while on certain
> videos....not all..............for instance I watched the first half
> of TROY, the movie and it went fine..........then when I tried to
> watch the second half all of the above happened..........it didn't do
> it on the first half..............
>
> ????
>
> Thanks

Did you install the latest updates for your graphic-card and chipset.....??
--
grtz......Elco

Unk

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 19:13:05 GMT, Daveyboy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 13:50:10 -0400, Unk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:39:37 GMT, Daveyboy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>HI,
>>>
>>>When I use Windows Media Player to watch movies or any kind of video,
>>>after it starts up - about 5 seconds after - I get a fault window
>>>saying it must close down -- 2 windows actually -- 1 for explorer and
>>>1 for the media player Then when I do shut down and close the windows
>>>I lose the quick launch on the taskbar and must re-organize the quick
>>>launch functions -- I tried with another viewer (Ace Media Player) and
>>>the same thing happened...It only happens once in a while on certain
>>>videos....not all..............for instance I watched the first half
>>>of TROY, the movie and it went fine..........then when I tried to
>>>watch the second half all of the above happened..........it didn't do
>>>it on the first half..............
>>>
>>>????
>>>
>>>Thanks

>>Try WMP version 10
>>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...ad/default.asp
>>

>Tried that --- same thing..............

It sounds like one or more of your codecs are corrupt.

Download Gspot to determine the exact codec needed, then replace that codec
if you have it, and it causes the error. http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
You run Gspot, then use it to open the video clip.

Codec resources:
Introduction To Finding A Codec For Windows Media Play 9
http://www.updatexp.com/codec-for-wi...-player-9.html

Latest free video and audio codecs
http://www.free-codecs.com/index.htm

Codec resources and alternatives:
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/***********************************finalbuilds.htm

DivX 3.11:
http://www.divx-digest.com/software/divxcodec.html

DivX 5.x
http://www.divx.com/divx/

MPEG2 Decoder Package
http://www.elecard.com/download/

http://video-codec.8m.com/codecs.htm

http://www.xvid.org/
http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/

Nimo pack.
http://www.divx-digest.com/software/nimo_pack.html

FFDSHOW.
http://www.divx-digest.com/software/ffdshow.html

Download the MS-MPEG-4v3 codec fix (Win9x/NT4)
on: http://www.moviecodec.com/download/codecs.shtml

Compression Codecs (Huge list)
http://dshow.narod.ru/

Download the K-Lite Codec pack. This contrains the most uptodate video and
audio codecs. http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/***********************************mirror.htm

ACE Mega Codec Pack Professional Edition has practically every codec you
need or ever wanted. Includes DivX and XviD.
http://www.sysonline.hu/files/codec/ACEMCP601PRO.exe
http://sq5.onlinedown.net/down/ACEMCP601PRO.exe

http://abmefaq.net for all your Multimedia answers

Audio Codecs Resources