Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > active x controls ~ safe or not from trend micro

active x controls ~ safe or not from trend micro

Ladydeb

Hi there
I have been trying to run Trend Micros 'Housecall' scanner, but before I can
run the updated version, I am being told to download an active x control. I
trust Trend Micro to some extent but my security settings are warning me
that active x controls are a baddy and I shouldn't download if at all
possible.
Whats the concensus of opinion on this one??
Debbie

Richard McCann

"Ladydeb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:UgR4d.99492$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> Hi there
> I have been trying to run Trend Micros 'Housecall' scanner, but before I

can
> run the updated version, I am being told to download an active x control.

> trust Trend Micro to some extent but my security settings are warning me
> that active x controls are a baddy and I shouldn't download if at all
> possible.
> Whats the concensus of opinion on this one??
> Debbie

Safe, accept it. You can remove it after you have done the scan.

Ladydeb

Hi there Richard
I did as you suggested but am not sure how to delete the active x control
once the scan has completed. Should I leave it there for the next time I
use Housecall or is it best to delete??
Regards
Debbie
"Richard McCann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4rR4d.6069$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Ladydeb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:UgR4d.99492$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>> Hi there
>> I have been trying to run Trend Micros 'Housecall' scanner, but before I

> can
>> run the updated version, I am being told to download an active x control.

>> trust Trend Micro to some extent but my security settings are warning me
>> that active x controls are a baddy and I shouldn't download if at all
>> possible.
>> Whats the concensus of opinion on this one??
>> Debbie
>>

> Safe, accept it. You can remove it after you have done the scan.

Voltardo

Ladydeb wrote:

> Hi there Richard
> I did as you suggested but am not sure how to delete the active x control
> once the scan has completed. Should I leave it there for the next time I
> use Housecall or is it best to delete??
> Regards
> Debbie
> "Richard McCann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4rR4d.6069$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>"Ladydeb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:UgR4d.99492$(E-Mail Removed) o.uk...
>>
>>>Hi there
>>>I have been trying to run Trend Micros 'Housecall' scanner, but before I

>>can
>>
>>>run the updated version, I am being told to download an active x control.

>>>trust Trend Micro to some extent but my security settings are warning me
>>>that active x controls are a baddy and I shouldn't download if at all
>>>possible.
>>>Whats the concensus of opinion on this one??
>>>Debbie
>>>

>>Safe, accept it. You can remove it after you have done the scan.

You can keep the activeX control forever, safely, as long as you know
the source is Trend Micro or any other reputable organization. Anyway,
if you must delete it, it should be in Control Panel, add / delete.

Brian

"Ladydeb" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:IIR4d.75941$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> Hi there Richard
> I did as you suggested but am not sure how to delete the active x control
> once the scan has completed. Should I leave it there for the next time I
> use Housecall or is it best to delete??
> Regards
> Debbie
> "Richard McCann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4rR4d.6069$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Ladydeb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:UgR4d.99492$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> >> Hi there
> >> I have been trying to run Trend Micros 'Housecall' scanner, but before

> > can
> >> run the updated version, I am being told to download an active x

control.
> >> trust Trend Micro to some extent but my security settings are warning

me
> >> that active x controls are a baddy and I shouldn't download if at all
> >> possible.
> >> Whats the concensus of opinion on this one??
> >> Debbie
> >>

> > Safe, accept it. You can remove it after you have done the scan.

Hi Deb downloaded active x controls are placed here:
C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files
should be called: HouseCall-Control if you right click it >>properties you
will get more info on it.

SIXTHPISTOL

Thanks Brian!!
Debbie
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Ladydeb" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:IIR4d.75941$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>> Hi there Richard
>> I did as you suggested but am not sure how to delete the active x
>> control
>> once the scan has completed. Should I leave it there for the next time I
>> use Housecall or is it best to delete??
>> Regards
>> Debbie
>> "Richard McCann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4rR4d.6069$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >
>> > "Ladydeb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:UgR4d.99492$(E-Mail Removed). uk...

>> > can

> control.

> me
>> >>
>> > Safe, accept it. You can remove it after you have done the scan.
>> >

> Hi Deb downloaded active x controls are placed here:
> C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files
> should be called: HouseCall-Control if you right click it >>properties you
> will get more info on it.

WormWood

"Voltardo" <absinthe@.ambergris.wow> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Ladydeb wrote:
|
| > Hi there Richard
| > I did as you suggested but am not sure how to delete the active x
control
| > once the scan has completed. Should I leave it there for the next
time I
| > use Housecall or is it best to delete??
| > Regards
| > Debbie
| > "Richard McCann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > news:4rR4d.6069$(E-Mail Removed)...
| >
| >>"Ladydeb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| >>news:UgR4d.99492$(E-Mail Removed) o.uk...

| >>can

| >>Safe, accept it. You can remove it after you have done the scan.
| >>

| You can keep the activeX control forever, safely, as long as you know
| the source is Trend Micro or any other reputable organization. Anyway,
| if you must delete it, it should be in Control Panel, add / delete.

That's Add / Remove but it may make no difference for now, I just
checked mine and it isn't there. btw, if you don't care for surprises
like I just got, DON'T do a Start / Search for activex. Must have over
40 of those little monsters but they've never caused any problems that
I am aware of even though some are from old installations...programs
over 4 years old that were saved on another partition during upgrades.