Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > LAN CONNECTION NOT WORKING

LAN CONNECTION NOT WORKING

Ladydeb

HI There
We have just set up a new computer for my son and are trying to connect it
to the internet via our broadband internet access. We have broadband and
have bought a Belkin wireless B USB Network Adapter.
Everything seemed to go ok, until you try to open internet explorer. The
instructions with the Belkin are pathetic and don't really give a clue as to
how to troubleshoot if there is a problem.
A message comes up saying unable to find server.
Mmm. Very frustrating!!
Anyone else had similar problems??
Thanks in advance
Debbie

Trent SC

Belkin in the UK have an extremely helpful telephone support desk, so why
not try them. If you're not UK-based, I would guess that they have
similarly helpful offices in other countries.

"Ladydeb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%uH4d.95802$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> HI There
> We have just set up a new computer for my son and are trying to connect it
> to the internet via our broadband internet access. We have broadband and
> have bought a Belkin wireless B USB Network Adapter.
> Everything seemed to go ok, until you try to open internet explorer. The
> instructions with the Belkin are pathetic and don't really give a clue as

> how to troubleshoot if there is a problem.
> A message comes up saying unable to find server.
> Mmm. Very frustrating!!
> Anyone else had similar problems??
> Thanks in advance
> Debbie

Andy Kelly

> We have just set up a new computer for my son and are trying to connect it
> to the internet via our broadband internet access. We have broadband and
> have bought a Belkin wireless B USB Network Adapter.

I assume that you have connected the USB wireless network adapter to the PC.
Do you have a wireless broadband router connected to the broadband modem?

SIXTHPISTOL

Hi there Andy
We were told when we bought the Belkin wireless kit that we didn't need a
router. So no, we don't have one. We have connected one wireless adapter to
each computer. The computer with the modem has been configured as the main
and the upstairs computer configured to access the internet via the main
computer. Both Belkin adapters are showing 90% signal. Both computers show a
wireless network connection, working peer to peer on the task bar. When
using the upstairs computer to show computers on the network it recognises
the downstairs computer, could the problem be the configuration of the
internet connection on the upstairs computer??
Its sooo annoying to get this far and it still not work!!
Regards
Debbie
"Andy Kelly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news7I4d.292$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> We have just set up a new computer for my son and are trying to connect
>> it
>> to the internet via our broadband internet access. We have broadband and
>> have bought a Belkin wireless B USB Network Adapter.

> I assume that you have connected the USB wireless network adapter to the
> PC.
> Do you have a wireless broadband router connected to the broadband modem?

Ladydeb

Sorry about that Andy, I forgot to switch identities again!! Being a dimwit
again!!!
The message from sixthpistol was actually from me. Thats what you get for
trying to post at 6am before my brain has left sleep mode properly.
I'm not so sure it ever leaves sleep mode properly actually! Ha ha.
Debbie
"Andy Kelly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news7I4d.292$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> We have just set up a new computer for my son and are trying to connect
>> it
>> to the internet via our broadband internet access. We have broadband and
>> have bought a Belkin wireless B USB Network Adapter.

> I assume that you have connected the USB wireless network adapter to the
> PC.
> Do you have a wireless broadband router connected to the broadband modem?

Liz

"Ladydeb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> I'm not so sure it ever leaves sleep mode properly actually! Ha ha.
> Debbie

I never sleep.

Ladydeb

I thought only the undead never slept!!
"Liz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FwP4d.13987$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Ladydeb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> I'm not so sure it ever leaves sleep mode properly actually! Ha ha.
>> Debbie

> I never sleep.

Andy Kelly

> Sorry about that Andy, I forgot to switch identities again!! Being a

dimwit
> again!!!
> The message from sixthpistol was actually from me. Thats what you get for
> trying to post at 6am before my brain has left sleep mode properly.
> I'm not so sure it ever leaves sleep mode properly actually! Ha ha.

What operating system are you using on the two PCs?

treehugger

"Ladydeb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:%uH4d.95802$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> HI There
> We have just set up a new computer for my son and are trying to connect it
> to the internet via our broadband internet access. We have broadband and
> have bought a Belkin wireless B USB Network Adapter.
> Everything seemed to go ok, until you try to open internet explorer. The
> instructions with the Belkin are pathetic and don't really give a clue as to
> how to troubleshoot if there is a problem.
> A message comes up saying unable to find server.
> Mmm. Very frustrating!!
> Anyone else had similar problems??
> Thanks in advance
> Debbie

I'm pretty sure this microsoft article entitled "Making the Wireless Home Network Connection in Windows XP Without a Router" might help you. I'm guessing you have XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx

treehugger

treehugger