Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > New Network Detected

New Network Detected

MahaRaj

Hi
When I turned my computer on this morning and connected the cable modem (yes
I do close CM every night).
as usual my Zone alarm has detected new network with an IP. But this morning
I noticed that the IP address looked different than usual i.e. 82.1.99.179.
I have checked the IP on this website
http://www.checkdomain.com/cgi-bin/c...in=82.1.99.179
and it shows some address in Amsterdam.
I was expecting NTL in UK.
Is it normal for the CM to be connected somewhere in Amsterdam?
I really don't know what to thinks.
Any help to clarify this matter please.

Thanks

winXP sp1
zonealarm pro 5.1.001.00
Ntl broadband

Maha

also posted to ntl.support.broadband.cm.

root

I did a tracert on 82.1.99.179.. it's an NTL address connected to the Stoke
exchange - if you live around that area, it's probably your own IP address
and is nothing to worry about.

NTL IP addresses are dynamic and can change - especially as you say you
unplug your modem at night. I'm guessing your IP address has just updated
and caused zonealarm to alert because it's a new address.

"MahaRaj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VNA4d.267$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> When I turned my computer on this morning and connected the cable modem

(yes
> I do close CM every night).
> as usual my Zone alarm has detected new network with an IP. But this

morning
> I noticed that the IP address looked different than usual i.e.

82.1.99.179.
> I have checked the IP on this website
> http://www.checkdomain.com/cgi-bin/c...in=82.1.99.179
> and it shows some address in Amsterdam.
> I was expecting NTL in UK.
> Is it normal for the CM to be connected somewhere in Amsterdam?
> I really don't know what to thinks.
> Any help to clarify this matter please.
>
> Thanks
>
> winXP sp1
> zonealarm pro 5.1.001.00
> Ntl broadband
>
> Maha
>

> also posted to ntl.support.broadband.cm.

MahaRaj

thanks root.
where you find these information.
I used this address http://www.dnsstuff.com/ but no specific info like you
found.
Thanks
Maha
"root" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7ZA4d.86$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I did a tracert on 82.1.99.179.. it's an NTL address connected to the

Stoke
> exchange - if you live around that area, it's probably your own IP address
> and is nothing to worry about.
>
> NTL IP addresses are dynamic and can change - especially as you say you
> unplug your modem at night. I'm guessing your IP address has just updated
> and caused zonealarm to alert because it's a new address.
>
> "MahaRaj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:VNA4d.267$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi
> > When I turned my computer on this morning and connected the cable modem

> (yes
> > I do close CM every night).
> > as usual my Zone alarm has detected new network with an IP. But this

> morning
> > I noticed that the IP address looked different than usual i.e.

> 82.1.99.179.
> > I have checked the IP on this website
> > http://www.checkdomain.com/cgi-bin/c...in=82.1.99.179
> > and it shows some address in Amsterdam.
> > I was expecting NTL in UK.
> > Is it normal for the CM to be connected somewhere in Amsterdam?
> > I really don't know what to thinks.
> > Any help to clarify this matter please.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > winXP sp1
> > zonealarm pro 5.1.001.00
> > Ntl broadband
> >
> > Maha
> >

> > also posted to ntl.support.broadband.cm.

Yddap

In news:VNA4d.267$(E-Mail Removed),
MahaRaj <(E-Mail Removed)> opined:
> Hi
> When I turned my computer on this morning and connected the cable
> modem (yes I do close CM every night).
> as usual my Zone alarm has detected new network with an IP. But this
> morning I noticed that the IP address looked different than usual
> i.e. 82.1.99.179. I have checked the IP on this website
> http://www.checkdomain.com/cgi-bin/c...in=82.1.99.179
> and it shows some address in Amsterdam.
> I was expecting NTL in UK.
> Is it normal for the CM to be connected somewhere in Amsterdam?
> I really don't know what to thinks.
> Any help to clarify this matter please.
>
> Thanks
>
> winXP sp1
> zonealarm pro 5.1.001.00
> Ntl broadband
>
> Maha
>

> also posted to ntl.support.broadband.cm.

you have just got a new NTL IP number see Sam Spade output below

Since NTL IPs are not fixed if you turn off the modem you can easily lose
your current IP
To help to keep your IP do not swich off the Modem at night
--

Yddap
Remove guts to reply

09/23/04 15:15:06 whois http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

whois -h whois.ripe.net 82.1.99.179 ...
% This is the RIPE Whois secondary server.
% The objects are in RPSL format.
%
% Rights restricted by copyright.
% See http://www.ripe.net/db/copyright.html

inetnum: 82.1.96.0 - 82.1.111.255
netname: NTL
descr: NTL Infrastructure - Baguley
country: GB
admin-c: NNMC1-RIPE
tech-c: NNMC1-RIPE
status: ASSIGNED PA
mnt-by: AS5089-MNT
remarks: INFRA-AW
changed: (E-Mail Removed) 20030922
source: RIPE

route: 82.0.0.0/11
descr: NTL-UK-IP-BLOCK
origin: AS5089
mnt-by: AS5089-MNT
changed: (E-Mail Removed) 20030228
source: RIPE

role: NTLI Network Management Centre
address: NTL Internet
address: Crawley Court
address: Winchester
address: Hampshire
address: SO21 2QA
trouble: -------------------------------------------------------
trouble: For abuse notifications please -
trouble: file an online case @ http://www.ntlworld.com/netreport
trouble: +44 2920 305142
trouble: -------------------------------------------------------
trouble: For peering issues/requests please -
trouble: email : (E-Mail Removed)
trouble: -------------------------------------------------------
admin-c: MH22007-RIPE
admin-c: CF2297-RIPE
admin-c: CM1377-RIPE
tech-c: MH22007-RIPE
tech-c: CF2297-RIPE
tech-c: CM1377-RIPE
nic-hdl: NNMC1-RIPE
mnt-by: AS5089-MNT
notify: (E-Mail Removed)
e-mail: (E-Mail Removed)
changed: (E-Mail Removed) 20020815
changed: (E-Mail Removed) 20020913
changed: (E-Mail Removed) 20030328
changed: (E-Mail Removed) 20030401
changed: (E-Mail Removed) 20030603
changed: (E-Mail Removed) 20030707
changed: (E-Mail Removed) 20040303
changed: (E-Mail Removed) 20040312
source: RIPE

why?

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:08:53 GMT, MahaRaj wrote:

>Hi
>When I turned my computer on this morning and connected the cable modem (yes
>I do close CM every night).
>as usual my Zone alarm has detected new network with an IP. But this morning
>I noticed that the IP address looked different than usual i.e. 82.1.99.179.
>I have checked the IP on this website
>http://www.checkdomain.com/cgi-bin/c...in=82.1.99.179
>and it shows some address in Amsterdam.

That's showing the,

OrgName: RIPE Network Coordination Centre
OrgID: RIPE
Address: Singel 258
Address: 1016 AB
City: Amsterdam

near the bottom of the page read this bit,

Comment: These addresses have been further assigned to users in
Comment: the RIPE NCC region. Contact information can be found in
Comment: the RIPE database at http://www.ripe.net/whois

What does RIPE do
http://www.ripe.net/ripencc/about/

<snip>

Me

Hamman

"MahaRaj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VNA4d.267$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> When I turned my computer on this morning and connected the cable modem
> (yes
> I do close CM every night).
> as usual my Zone alarm has detected new network with an IP. But this
> morning
> I noticed that the IP address looked different than usual i.e.
> 82.1.99.179.
> I have checked the IP on this website
> http://www.checkdomain.com/cgi-bin/c...in=82.1.99.179
> and it shows some address in Amsterdam.

RIPE (Regualtor for Internet Protocol in Europe) is based in amsterdam for
some reason.

Hamman

Atreju

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:28:52 GMT, "MahaRaj" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>thanks root.
>where you find these information.

SNIP

Just a good site for all things IP:

http://www.samspade.org

---Atreju---

Dan Evans

"MahaRaj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VNA4d.267$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> When I turned my computer on this morning and connected the cable modem

(yes
> I do close CM every night).
> as usual my Zone alarm has detected new network with an IP. But this

morning
> I noticed that the IP address looked different than usual i.e.

82.1.99.179.
> I have checked the IP on this website
> http://www.checkdomain.com/cgi-bin/c...in=82.1.99.179
> and it shows some address in Amsterdam.
> I was expecting NTL in UK.
> Is it normal for the CM to be connected somewhere in Amsterdam?
> I really don't know what to thinks.
> Any help to clarify this matter please.

It depends on how up to date the records are on the site you're checking.
Every now and again, I end up with a Wanadoo France (according to RIPE) IP
address even though I'm in Spain.

Nothing to worry about.

Dan

Dan Evans

"Hamman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> RIPE (Regualtor for Internet Protocol in Europe) is based in amsterdam for
> some reason.

"Réseaux IP Européens" (European Internet Protocol Networks) and its NCC
(Network Control Centre) is in Amsterdam as it has to be somewhere, the fact
that a yahoo **** off great transatlantic backbone makes landfall there (Ams
IX http://www.ams-ix.net ) helps. Linx is larger, but last I looked into it,
Ams IX had more capacity.

In any case, if RIPE was in London, the French would still be honking about
it now.

Dan