Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Laser printer prints blanks but inkjet doesn't

Laser printer prints blanks but inkjet doesn't

Only me

Curious incident. Has anyone ever come across anything similar

Had one of our office workers fetch word files from his home PC in on a
floppy.
He copied them to his office PC hard drive and tried to print to the laser
printer. The sheets came out blank. Tried it to one of the other network
printers and still blank sheets. Tried it to two inkjets and the document
printed OK. Copied the document to a different network computer and tried
the same procedure and got exactly the same results. Blanks from the laser
printers and documsnts printed okay from inkjets.

Cured the problem by saving the documents as text files and removing the
word formatting. Reloaded into word and re-edited. Printed to both lasers
with no problems after this.

I'm guessing the users home PC is formatting the documents in such a way
that the laser printers can't see the data. The problem is solved but I've
never come across this before and I'd love to know if it is something anyone
else has experienced this.

Smoker

"Only me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Curious incident. Has anyone ever come across anything similar
>
> Had one of our office workers fetch word files from his home PC in on a
> floppy.
> He copied them to his office PC hard drive and tried to print to the laser
> printer. The sheets came out blank. Tried it to one of the other network
> printers and still blank sheets. Tried it to two inkjets and the document
> printed OK. Copied the document to a different network computer and tried
> the same procedure and got exactly the same results. Blanks from the laser
> printers and documsnts printed okay from inkjets.
>
> Cured the problem by saving the documents as text files and removing the
> word formatting. Reloaded into word and re-edited. Printed to both lasers
> with no problems after this.
>
> I'm guessing the users home PC is formatting the documents in such a way
> that the laser printers can't see the data. The problem is solved but I've
> never come across this before and I'd love to know if it is something

anyone
> else has experienced this.

I can't recall that happening before, but it may have years ago before
inkjets. I have an old MS Publisher program that I use to compose and save
letters. It often asks if it should update the embedded objects when I go to
save it after printing. There are no objects, just text. So does this have
to do possibly with what type of printer you use? If the embedded objects
weren't saved, would it not print correctly on one type of printer or the
other?

Alan G

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 16:55:09 GMT, "Smoker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Only me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Curious incident. Has anyone ever come across anything similar
>>
>> Had one of our office workers fetch word files from his home PC in on a
>> floppy.
>> He copied them to his office PC hard drive and tried to print to the laser
>> printer. The sheets came out blank. Tried it to one of the other network
>> printers and still blank sheets. Tried it to two inkjets and the document
>> printed OK. Copied the document to a different network computer and tried
>> the same procedure and got exactly the same results. Blanks from the laser
>> printers and documsnts printed okay from inkjets.
>>
>> Cured the problem by saving the documents as text files and removing the
>> word formatting. Reloaded into word and re-edited. Printed to both lasers
>> with no problems after this.
>>
>> I'm guessing the users home PC is formatting the documents in such a way
>> that the laser printers can't see the data. The problem is solved but I've
>> never come across this before and I'd love to know if it is something

>anyone
>> else has experienced this.
>>

>I can't recall that happening before, but it may have years ago before
>inkjets. I have an old MS Publisher program that I use to compose and save
>letters. It often asks if it should update the embedded objects when I go to
>save it after printing. There are no objects, just text. So does this have
>to do possibly with what type of printer you use? If the embedded objects
>weren't saved, would it not print correctly on one type of printer or the
>other?

Posting from home now.
There are no embedded objects. The documents are all text and
fornatted with indents, italics, bold and bullets. I can save them as
standard text files with no formatting and reload them into word.
Clean them up and print to the laser printers.

One possibility is some sort of security software on the users home
PC. He tells me it came from a previous job about 6 yrs ago and was
supplied fully working by a British Aerospace technician. He hasn't
added anything to it or removed any software. I work for a charity and
we often get donated PCs with company security enabled. Can be a real
pain.

The situation is quite peculiar.

Gary G. Taylor

Only me wrote:

> Curious incident. Has anyone ever come across anything similar
>
> Had one of our office workers fetch word files from his home PC in on a
> floppy.
> He copied them to his office PC hard drive and tried to print to the laser
> printer. The sheets came out blank. Tried it to one of the other network
> printers and still blank sheets. Tried it to two inkjets and the document
> printed OK. Copied the document to a different network computer and tried
> the same procedure and got exactly the same results. Blanks from the laser
> printers and documsnts printed okay from inkjets.
>
> Cured the problem by saving the documents as text files and removing the
> word formatting. Reloaded into word and re-edited. Printed to both lasers
> with no problems after this.
>
> I'm guessing the users home PC is formatting the documents in such a way
> that the laser printers can't see the data. The problem is solved but I've
> never come across this before and I'd love to know if it is something
> anyone else has experienced this.

The problem is likely that whatever application he composed the letters on
included some sort of formatting codes within its files, one (or more) of
which is caused the laser printer to barf. A quick and easy workaround is
to use Notepad or some other vanilla text editor to compose such documents.
He might try, just for shits and giggles, opening one of those documents
with Notepad; he might be able to spot the garbage in it that way.
--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
www.howtofixcomputers.com.is.bogus.horseshit

SgtMinor