Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > IE6 illegal operation fault

IE6 illegal operation fault

sunny

Recently i am regularly getting an illegal operation fault when i start up
internet explorer (6) using win 98se, giving the below details.

EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
module KERNEL32.DLL at 017f:bff7b9f5.
Registers:
EAX=6a919e61 CS=017f EIP=bff7b9f5 EFLGS=00010202
EBX=0086fde0 SS=0187 ESP=00830000 EBP=00830024
ECX=00831df8 DS=0187 ESI=00000001 FS=2fb7
EDX=00000001 ES=0187 EDI=81d1d258 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
56 57 89 65 e8 75 04 33 c0 eb 54 85 c0 74 4b c7
Stack dump:
0086fde0 6a919e61 00000001 0086fde0 6a919e61 00831df8 bffc05b4 bff79250
ffffffff 00831e08 bff7ce23 6a919e61 00000001 6a913046 6a919e61 00831e30

If i close the report window ie6 shutsdown along with all but 3 of the icons
and clock in my taskbar (zonealarm, norton antivirus and messenger) I can
then open up ie6 again usually with no further problems but occasionally the
system crashes. I have just started my pc up today and after checking my
emails in OE and closing the prog down i was left with just the destop.
After a few minutes where i didnt do anything the same message came up and i
hadnt even attempted to access IE.

Once IE shuts down my desktop goes to the white recovery screen until i
click on the restore setting although this doesnt bring any more icons back
to the taskbar. The only way i can do this is to reboot.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

regards

°Mike°

Can you be clear on this, because you state that
you have a problem with Internet Explorer, and
yet the error message is for Windows Explorer?

Also, there is no need to inclued the registers
and stack dump.

For general troubleshooting of kernel32 errors, see:

Definition of Kernel32.dll Error Messages
http://support.microsoft.com/support...msg/kbkern.asp

Jim Eshelman's Troubleshooting KERNEL32.DLL Errors
http://www.aumha.org/a/k32fix.htm

Henri Leboeuf - KERNEL32.DLL - ERRORS
http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/errkrn32.htm

Troubleshooting Kernel32.dll errors and Invalid Page Faults
http://www.all-windows.com/kernel32.html

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 12:14:06 GMT, in
<iQz3d.711$(E-Mail Removed)>
sunny scrawled:

>Recently i am regularly getting an illegal operation fault when i start up
>internet explorer (6) using win 98se, giving the below details.
>
>EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
>module KERNEL32.DLL at 017f:bff7b9f5.

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance