Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Cannot delete registry keys

Cannot delete registry keys

Terry Pinnell

I'm trying to sort out a problem with my Favorites folder, which is on
my 'data partition' at D:\Favorites.

When I go to this key with regedit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Favorites

below it is a list of folders that shouldn't be present. But when I
select one and try to delete it, I get
"Cannot delete CD-R or RW: Error while deleting key."

Nor can I delete the individual entries on the right, all of which are
like this:
"(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)

Can anyone help me fix this please?

Basically, I'd like to clear out the entire Favorites folder (having
copied its contents temporarily to a backup location).

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Pokeahornetsnest

Terry Pinnell wrote:
> I'm trying to sort out a problem with my Favorites folder, which is on
> my 'data partition' at D:\Favorites.
>
> When I go to this key with regedit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\MenuOrd
er\Favorites

> below it is a list of folders that shouldn't be present. But when I
> select one and try to delete it, I get
> "Cannot delete CD-R or RW: Error while deleting key."
>
> Nor can I delete the individual entries on the right, all of which are
> like this:
> "(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
>
> Can anyone help me fix this please?
>
> Basically, I'd like to clear out the entire Favorites folder (having
> copied its contents temporarily to a backup location).

Right click the ****ing folder you moron, and set permissions.

Better still, search for ntuser.dat and delete that ****er, then
reboot. It works every time.

°Mike°

Use regedt32 instead of regedit, and right click on
the entries for the 'Permissions" dialog -- make
sure you are logged on as administrator.

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:00:10 +0100, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Terry Pinnell scrawled:

>I'm trying to sort out a problem with my Favorites folder, which is on
>my 'data partition' at D:\Favorites.
>
>When I go to this key with regedit
>
>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Favorites
>
>below it is a list of folders that shouldn't be present. But when I
>select one and try to delete it, I get
>"Cannot delete CD-R or RW: Error while deleting key."
>
>Nor can I delete the individual entries on the right, all of which are
>like this:
>"(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
>
>Can anyone help me fix this please?
>
>Basically, I'd like to clear out the entire Favorites folder (having
>copied its contents temporarily to a backup location).

--
Basic computer maintenance

Terry Pinnell

°Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Use regedt32 instead of regedit, and right click on
>the entries for the 'Permissions" dialog -- make
>sure you are logged on as administrator.

Thank. What's the difference? According to Help>About in the two
respective programs, they are identical:

regedt32
--------
Microsoft Registry Editor
Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp2.030422-1633 : Service Pack 1)
Copyright 1981-2001 Microsoft Corporation

regedit
-------
Microsoft Registry Editor
Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp2.030422-1633 : Service Pack 1)
Copyright 1981-2001 Microsoft Corporation

I was logged in as Administrator (I am sole user), but still couldn't
set permissions. But I then tried starting in Safe Mode and happily
was able to do so.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Karim

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 20:07:06 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:

> °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Use regedt32 instead of regedit, and right click on
>>the entries for the 'Permissions" dialog -- make
>>sure you are logged on as administrator.

> Thank. What's the difference? According to Help>About in the two
> respective programs, they are identical:
>
> regedt32
> --------
> Microsoft Registry Editor
> Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp2.030422-1633 : Service Pack 1)
> Copyright 1981-2001 Microsoft Corporation
>
> regedit
> -------
> Microsoft Registry Editor
> Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp2.030422-1633 : Service Pack 1)
> Copyright 1981-2001 Microsoft Corporation
>
> I was logged in as Administrator (I am sole user), but still couldn't
> set permissions. But I then tried starting in Safe Mode and happily
> was able to do so.

regedt32 can set and read registry nodes permissions while regedit can't
but if you're already logged in as an admin you should be able to delete
registry entries.

Note that not every registry entry can be deleted, specially the ones that
Windows depends for staying up and running.

Karim
--
http://www.cheapesthosting.com - Innovative Web Hosting since 1998
Spam and Virus protected email