Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > windows security centre..

windows security centre..

the niner nation

Hi..I am running windows XP and downloaded a recent upgrade to it..as a
result, I now have something VERY annoying called' windows security centre'
installed into my pc which i HATE and do not want, I have a firewall and
norton for anti-virus and security.
How do i make this security centre go away? also, it has somehow managed to
re-enable MSN messenger..all VERY annoying!!

thanks in advance!

Duane Arnold

"the niner nation" <removeTHISdipak@take thisOUT49ers98.freeserve.co.uk>
wrote in news:cihp30$o91$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi..I am running windows XP and downloaded a recent upgrade to it..as
> a result, I now have something VERY annoying called' windows security
> centre' installed into my pc which i HATE and do not want, I have a
> firewall and norton for anti-virus and security.
> How do i make this security centre go away? also, it has somehow
> managed to re-enable MSN messenger..all VERY annoying!!
>
> thanks in advance!

Start button/Control Panel/Perform & Maint/Admin Tools/Services and double-
click on Security Center and disable o Service.

Duane

°Mike°

How to Disable Security Center Alerts
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...escalerts.mspx

To completely disable it, copy/paste the following into
Notepad and save as a .reg file. Double click on the
saved .reg file to merge it into your registry, and reboot.

***** <--- Omit this line
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\wscsvc]
"Start"=dword:00000004

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center]
"AntiVirusDisableNotify"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center]
"FirewallDisableNotify"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center]
"UpdatesDisableNotify"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center]
"AntiVirusOverride"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center]
"FirewallOverride"=dword:00000001

***** <--- Omit this line

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 17:51:58 +0100, in
<cihp30$o91$(E-Mail Removed)>
"the niner nation" <removeTHISdipak@take thisOUT49ers98.freeserve.co.uk>
scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

SA

O thanks. I was wondering that myself.
news:Xns95687D14B5EADNotMeNotmecom@204.127.199.17. ..
> "the niner nation" <removeTHISdipak@take thisOUT49ers98.freeserve.co.uk>
> wrote in news:cihp30$o91$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Hi..I am running windows XP and downloaded a recent upgrade to it..as
>> a result, I now have something VERY annoying called' windows security
>> centre' installed into my pc which i HATE and do not want, I have a
>> firewall and norton for anti-virus and security.
>> How do i make this security centre go away? also, it has somehow
>> managed to re-enable MSN messenger..all VERY annoying!!
>>
>> thanks in advance!
>>

> Start button/Control Panel/Perform & Maint/Admin Tools/Services and
> double-
> click on Security Center and disable o Service.
>
> Duane

Duane Arnold

SA wrote:

> O thanks. I was wondering that myself.

O you're welcome. That was a type*o* error.
--
Duane

I run MS XP Pro and SuSE Linux Pro and I like both of them.

rob andrews

uninstall windows xp sp2
wrote in message news:cihp30$o91$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi..I am running windows XP and downloaded a recent upgrade to it..as a
> result, I now have something VERY annoying called' windows security
> centre' installed into my pc which i HATE and do not want, I have a
> firewall and norton for anti-virus and security.
> How do i make this security centre go away? also, it has somehow managed
> to re-enable MSN messenger..all VERY annoying!!
>
> thanks in advance!

Mellowed

Just go to Control Panel, Security Center, at the bottom of 'Resources',
click on 'Change the way Security Center Alerts Me'. Uncheck the listed
boxes.

news:gdK3d.8788$(E-Mail Removed).. .