Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Spell Checking in Microsft Windows XP Office and Outlook

Spell Checking in Microsft Windows XP Office and Outlook

Mick.

Hi all.

I rely heavily on the spell checker; can anyone help with this, please?

Computer is: an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ 2.01 GHz with 1GB of Ram

With Microsoft Windows XP Home with service pack 2

Using Microsoft Office XP P professional 2002, and Outlook for mail.

Is there a way to keep the spell checker to English UK?

I have removed English US from the details box in the Regional and Language
box in

The control panel and set it the language to English UK

Also made English UK Default in the advanced tab.

But whenever in Word 2002 or answering email in Outlook 2002.

When using the spell checker it keeps going to English US, I reset it to

English UK, under "Tools"-Language- Set Language, but the next time I go to
use it its back to English US.

Is there a way to keep it too English UK? Can I remove English US from the
options?

I have also tried removing the tick from the "Detect Language Automatically
box.

I do not need any other language at all only English UK.

Thanks for any help,

Mick

Ingeborg

"Mick." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi all.
>
> I rely heavily on the spell checker; can anyone help with this,
> please?
>

> Computer is: an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ 2.01 GHz with 1GB of Ram
>
> With Microsoft Windows XP Home with service pack 2
>
> Using Microsoft Office XP P professional 2002, and Outlook for mail.
>

> Is there a way to keep the spell checker to English UK?
>
> I have removed English US from the details box in the Regional and
> Language box in
>
> The control panel and set it the language to English UK
>
> Also made English UK Default in the advanced tab.
>

> But whenever in Word 2002 or answering email in Outlook 2002.
>
> When using the spell checker it keeps going to English US, I reset it
>
> English UK, under "Tools"-Language- Set Language, but the next time I
> go to use it its back to English US.
>
> Is there a way to keep it too English UK? Can I remove English US from
> the options?
>
> I have also tried removing the tick from the "Detect Language
> Automatically box.
>

> I do not need any other language at all only English UK.
>

> Thanks for any help,
>

> Mick

I happily don't know all the quirks Bill Gates has invented. But a little
trick will do it, I suppose.

Close all programs, goto \Program Files\Microsoft Shared\PROOF,
make a backup of this directory, and rename *uk* to *us*, or something
like that. Then it (whatever) will use the UK files when it thinks it
uses the US files.

Can't be more explicit in filesnames, since I don't have any english
spellchecker.

Jerry G.

To Control Panel, and open Regional And Language Options. In there, make
sure that all your default settings for the UK, and not for the US, or
Canada. Most of the dealers, when installing Windows, usually put US as the
default.

--

Jerry G.