Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Help; "Web server is not running ASP.NET version 1.1."

Help; "Web server is not running ASP.NET version 1.1."

**ham

"Visual Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not
running ASP.NET version 1.1. You will be unable to run ASP.NET Web
applications or services."

This is the message I get each time that I want to create an ASP.NET
application. The help recommends to register ASP.NET by using the command
line and "aspnet_regiis /i" . I do this and there is no error during
registration. But again when I try to create an ASP.NET application the
same message appears again. I have actually done the followings:

1- I have reinstalled IIS (on XP Pro SP2)
2- I have reinstalled DotNet Framework
3- I have reinstalled WebComponent of VS.NET 2003
4- I have registered asp.NET by using the command line

Please tell me what else I should do in order to get rid of this problem.

Thanks for any help

smith

If you just go into your Inetpub>wwwroot and create a page with the aspx
extension using notepad and then call it using IE
(http://localhost/mytestpage.aspx) does it run?

smith

"**ham" <frds_#@hotmails.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Visual Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not
> running ASP.NET version 1.1. You will be unable to run ASP.NET Web
> applications or services."
>
> This is the message I get each time that I want to create an ASP.NET
> application. The help recommends to register ASP.NET by using the command
> line and "aspnet_regiis /i" . I do this and there is no error during
> registration. But again when I try to create an ASP.NET application the
> same message appears again. I have actually done the followings:
>
> 1- I have reinstalled IIS (on XP Pro SP2)
> 2- I have reinstalled DotNet Framework
> 3- I have reinstalled WebComponent of VS.NET 2003
> 4- I have registered asp.NET by using the command line
>
> Please tell me what else I should do in order to get rid of this problem.
>
> Thanks for any help

**ham

Yes it runs, and definitely I have no problem with my IIS or ASP.NET . I
think there must be sth wrong with VS.NET.. IT really hurts you as you get
so many error just for creating an asp.net page!

"smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:58Fsd.1703$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> If you just go into your Inetpub>wwwroot and create a page with the aspx
> extension using notepad and then call it using IE
> (http://localhost/mytestpage.aspx) does it run?
>
> smith
>
> "**ham" <frds_#@hotmails.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Visual Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not
>> running ASP.NET version 1.1. You will be unable to run ASP.NET Web
>> applications or services."
>>
>> This is the message I get each time that I want to create an ASP.NET
>> application. The help recommends to register ASP.NET by using the command
>> line and "aspnet_regiis /i" . I do this and there is no error during
>> registration. But again when I try to create an ASP.NET application the
>> same message appears again. I have actually done the followings:
>>
>> 1- I have reinstalled IIS (on XP Pro SP2)
>> 2- I have reinstalled DotNet Framework
>> 3- I have reinstalled WebComponent of VS.NET 2003
>> 4- I have registered asp.NET by using the command line
>>
>> Please tell me what else I should do in order to get rid of this problem.
>>
>> Thanks for any help

smith

Huh.

I've seen that happen lots of time if IIS wasn't installed until aftger VS,
which meant reinstalling VS with IIS running, but you say that you've
covered that.

Is your user account (that you run VS under) a full machine admin?

smith

"**ham" <frds_#@hotmails.com> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes it runs, and definitely I have no problem with my IIS or ASP.NET . I
> think there must be sth wrong with VS.NET.. IT really hurts you as you get
> so many error just for creating an asp.net page!
>
> "smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:58Fsd.1703$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
>> If you just go into your Inetpub>wwwroot and create a page with the aspx
>> extension using notepad and then call it using IE
>> (http://localhost/mytestpage.aspx) does it run?
>>
>> smith
>>
>> "**ham" <frds_#@hotmails.com> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "Visual Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not
>>> running ASP.NET version 1.1. You will be unable to run ASP.NET Web
>>> applications or services."
>>>
>>> This is the message I get each time that I want to create an ASP.NET
>>> application. The help recommends to register ASP.NET by using the
>>> command line and "aspnet_regiis /i" . I do this and there is no error
>>> during registration. But again when I try to create an ASP.NET
>>> application the same message appears again. I have actually done the
>>> followings:
>>>
>>> 1- I have reinstalled IIS (on XP Pro SP2)
>>> 2- I have reinstalled DotNet Framework
>>> 3- I have reinstalled WebComponent of VS.NET 2003
>>> 4- I have registered asp.NET by using the command line
>>>
>>> Please tell me what else I should do in order to get rid of this
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help

**ham

Yes, administrator....
sth new, I currently CAN open "Webapplication1" from my "WWWroot" folder via
VS, but can't create a new project just because of that problem. I just
can't figure out what's going on...

"smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MdGsd.1958$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> Huh.
>
> I've seen that happen lots of time if IIS wasn't installed until aftger
> VS, which meant reinstalling VS with IIS running, but you say that you've
> covered that.
>
> Is your user account (that you run VS under) a full machine admin?
>
> smith
>
> "**ham" <frds_#@hotmails.com> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yes it runs, and definitely I have no problem with my IIS or ASP.NET . I
>> think there must be sth wrong with VS.NET.. IT really hurts you as you
>> get so many error just for creating an asp.net page!
>>
>> "smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:58Fsd.1703$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
>>> If you just go into your Inetpub>wwwroot and create a page with the aspx
>>> extension using notepad and then call it using IE
>>> (http://localhost/mytestpage.aspx) does it run?
>>>
>>> smith
>>>
>>> "**ham" <frds_#@hotmails.com> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

smith

I'm not advocating cross-posting, but you might ask on the
Microsoft.Public.VSNET.xxx groups too because they deal with Visual Studio
related issues.

-smith

"**ham" <frds_#@hotmails.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, administrator....
> sth new, I currently CAN open "Webapplication1" from my "WWWroot" folder
> via
> VS, but can't create a new project just because of that problem. I just
> can't figure out what's going on...

Kumar Reddi

Try running the following commands

aspnet_regiis.exe -u
aspnet_regiis.exe -i
aspnet_regiis.exe -c

--
Kumar Reddi
http://kumarreddi.blogspot.com

"**ham" <frds_#@hotmails.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Visual Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not
> running ASP.NET version 1.1. You will be unable to run ASP.NET Web
> applications or services."
>
> This is the message I get each time that I want to create an ASP.NET
> application. The help recommends to register ASP.NET by using the command
> line and "aspnet_regiis /i" . I do this and there is no error during
> registration. But again when I try to create an ASP.NET application the
> same message appears again. I have actually done the followings:
>
> 1- I have reinstalled IIS (on XP Pro SP2)
> 2- I have reinstalled DotNet Framework
> 3- I have reinstalled WebComponent of VS.NET 2003
> 4- I have registered asp.NET by using the command line
>
> Please tell me what else I should do in order to get rid of this problem.
>
> Thanks for any help

=?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljay5PLklnZQ==?=

Hi Ham,
Have u tried running those command that should help!
Patrick

"**ham" wrote:

> Yes, administrator....
> sth new, I currently CAN open "Webapplication1" from my "WWWroot" folder via
> VS, but can't create a new project just because of that problem. I just
> can't figure out what's going on...
>
> "smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:MdGsd.1958$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> > Huh.
> >
> > I've seen that happen lots of time if IIS wasn't installed until aftger
> > VS, which meant reinstalling VS with IIS running, but you say that you've
> > covered that.
> >
> > Is your user account (that you run VS under) a full machine admin?
> >
> > smith
> >
> > "**ham" <frds_#@hotmails.com> wrote in message
> > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Yes it runs, and definitely I have no problem with my IIS or ASP.NET . I
> >> think there must be sth wrong with VS.NET.. IT really hurts you as you
> >> get so many error just for creating an asp.net page!
> >>
> >> "smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:58Fsd.1703$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...

**ham

Thanks everybody,
The command line registrations did not work at all, however:

I worked under the "Safe Mode", uninstalled IIS, then under the normal mode
uninstalled the framework.
Then rebooted, Installed the IIS in normal mode, again rebooted and under
the normal mode installed the framework. Then rebooted and through the
"Internet Information Services" control bar, configured server extensions,
then rebooted and... wow...that was all!
Now it just works fine, but God! It really wasted my time (5 hours) just to
create an .aspx page.

I think many others have the same problem, so my experience might be a great
aim for them.

Thanks again.

"Kumar Reddi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try running the following commands
>
> aspnet_regiis.exe -u
> aspnet_regiis.exe -i <---------------------- these didn't help
> really....
> aspnet_regiis.exe -c
>
> --
> Kumar Reddi
> http://kumarreddi.blogspot.com
>
> "**ham" <frds_#@hotmails.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Visual Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not
>> running ASP.NET version 1.1. You will be unable to run ASP.NET Web
>> applications or services."
>>
>> This is the message I get each time that I want to create an ASP.NET
>> application. The help recommends to register ASP.NET by using the command
>> line and "aspnet_regiis /i" . I do this and there is no error during
>> registration. But again when I try to create an ASP.NET application the
>> same message appears again. I have actually done the followings:
>>
>> 1- I have reinstalled IIS (on XP Pro SP2)
>> 2- I have reinstalled DotNet Framework
>> 3- I have reinstalled WebComponent of VS.NET 2003
>> 4- I have registered asp.NET by using the command line
>>
>> Please tell me what else I should do in order to get rid of this problem.
>>
>> Thanks for any help

Flip

> I think many others have the same problem, so my experience might be a
great
> aim for them.

It's a bit late now to test this out as your server is back up and running,
but maybe someone else can comment on this. I to had what sounds to be a
similar problem, but mine turned out to be I had stopped the Sharepoint
webapp and the application pool as well for that web app. Even when I
started the webapp (a few days after I stopped it, so I forgot about the app
pool), VS still couldn't connect. After a bit more curse words and a coffee,
I looked at the application pool, started it and I was back to the races.

re wasted your time (5h) just to create an aspx
hhmmm? I have had 5d just to get a JSP working under a daemon in linux. :<
Talk about being a bad setup. :< The 5h is rough I agree, but I hope that's
the last of the big hiccups like that. With my j2ee server, I ran into that
kind of crap ALL THE TIME! :< I'm getting a lot more sleep now and not
pulling my hair out with .NET!

Keep it up, you'll get it yet! :>