Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Where is the VB6 Data Repeater in .Net??

Reply
Thread Tools

Where is the VB6 Data Repeater in .Net??

 
 
Robby
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2004

In my opinion the VB6 Data Repeater has to be the most versatile control
ever released by Microsoft. They also sharee this opinion when they
released it but I have not been able to find its .Net equivalent. I have
found a weaker versions of it in the web controls called Repeater, DataList
and DataGrid. However, I have not found anything in the form controls. I
can not port to .Net without it.

I have an enterprise application that makes extensive use of this control.
The user controls that are hosted in the Data Repeater are not simple
textbox display controls but have different types of controls in specific
layouts. They also have significant code with in them for both UI and
application features.

Does anyone know where it is? If it isn't in .Net, can anyone from
Microsoft give me an idea of when it will be released for .Net. I really
can't port to .Net with out an equivalent control.


Many thanks

Robby


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lucas Tam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2004
"Robby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

>
> In my opinion the VB6 Data Repeater has to be the most versatile
> control ever released by Microsoft. They also sharee this opinion
> when they released it but I have not been able to find its .Net
> equivalent. I have found a weaker versions of it in the web controls
> called Repeater, DataList and DataGrid. However, I have not found
> anything in the form controls. I can not port to .Net without it.


The closest you'll come is the datagrid - which you can modify to do what
the repeater did.

Otherwise search for a 3rd party control.

In anycase, your statement "I can not port to .Net without it." is probably
incorrect - you can always port it to .NET, but you may have to rewrite
portions of your code.


--
Lucas Tam ((E-Mail Removed))
Please delete "REMOVE" from the e-mail address when replying.
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/coolspot18/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Robby
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2004

The DataGrid is a web control. It is my understanding that it is for
browser apps only. Can it placed on windows form without special
gymnastics?

Robby


"Lucas Tam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns95B512DC6614Dnntprogerscom@140.99.99.130.. .
> "Robby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>>
>> In my opinion the VB6 Data Repeater has to be the most versatile
>> control ever released by Microsoft. They also sharee this opinion
>> when they released it but I have not been able to find its .Net
>> equivalent. I have found a weaker versions of it in the web controls
>> called Repeater, DataList and DataGrid. However, I have not found
>> anything in the form controls. I can not port to .Net without it.

>
> The closest you'll come is the datagrid - which you can modify to do what
> the repeater did.
>
> Otherwise search for a 3rd party control.
>
> In anycase, your statement "I can not port to .Net without it." is
> probably
> incorrect - you can always port it to .NET, but you may have to rewrite
> portions of your code.
>
>
> --
> Lucas Tam ((E-Mail Removed))
> Please delete "REMOVE" from the e-mail address when replying.
> http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/coolspot18/



 
Reply With Quote
 
Cor Ligthert
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2004
Robby,

There is a web datagrid and a windowdatagrid.

The only thing they have in common to me is that it are both grids who shows
collections of data.

Here some links.

Complete very nice controls with pictures on page
http://dotnet.leadit.be/extendeddatagrid

http://www.knowdotnet.com/articles/kdngrid.html

Faqs
http://www.syncfusion.com/FAQ/WinForms/FAQ_c44c.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/belux/nl/ms.../datagrid.mspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...stDataGrid.asp

Cor


 
Reply With Quote
 
Lucas Tam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2004
"Robby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:ugJEv6c2EHA.3120
@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:

> The DataGrid is a web control. It is my understanding that it is for
> browser apps only. Can it placed on windows form without special
> gymnastics?
>


There's a winforms version. If you find the built in datagrid too hard to
use... there are several 3rd party grids that might be easier to work with.

--
Lucas Tam ((E-Mail Removed))
Please delete "REMOVE" from the e-mail address when replying.
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/coolspot18/
 
Reply With Quote
 
smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2004
You probably would be very happy with the VB Resource Kit, free from MSDN.
In it is not only a lot of sample code for common VB tasks, but you also get
a 100% ComponentOne Studio deployment license.

ComponentOne is the company that makes MSFlex and the Datagrid and the print
preview controls. The *Real* versions are top-notch, in fact I wonder why
folks even put up with the freeware DataGrid when it's real version is
available as "TrueDBGrid" ... not that I've used that one much myself since
it's vbx version, ever since FlexGrid got databinding back in the ocx days
I pretty much have always used FlexGrid Pro and, between us, the .Net
version of FlexGridPro beats even the mature ocx.

Just go to: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/vbrkit/default.aspx and get
the kit, then get your unlock code free from C1. No more Datagrid hacks.

Hope you do it!

Robert Smith
Kirkland, WA
www.smithvoice.com

"Lucas Tam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns95B580F8CE844nntprogerscom@140.99.99.130.. .
> "Robby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:ugJEv6c2EHA.3120
> @TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:
>
>> The DataGrid is a web control. It is my understanding that it is for
>> browser apps only. Can it placed on windows form without special
>> gymnastics?
>>

>
> There's a winforms version. If you find the built in datagrid too hard to
> use... there are several 3rd party grids that might be easier to work
> with.
>
> --
> Lucas Tam ((E-Mail Removed))
> Please delete "REMOVE" from the e-mail address when replying.
> http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/coolspot18/



 
Reply With Quote
 
Robby
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-05-2004

These controls are so delicious!!! Thanks for the heads up.

Robby

"smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0Aqsd.1261$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> You probably would be very happy with the VB Resource Kit, free from MSDN.
> In it is not only a lot of sample code for common VB tasks, but you also
> get a 100% ComponentOne Studio deployment license.
>
> ComponentOne is the company that makes MSFlex and the Datagrid and the
> print preview controls. The *Real* versions are top-notch, in fact I
> wonder why folks even put up with the freeware DataGrid when it's real
> version is available as "TrueDBGrid" ... not that I've used that one much
> myself since it's vbx version, ever since FlexGrid got databinding back
> in the ocx days I pretty much have always used FlexGrid Pro and, between
> us, the .Net version of FlexGridPro beats even the mature ocx.
>
> Just go to: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/vbrkit/default.aspx and get
> the kit, then get your unlock code free from C1. No more Datagrid hacks.
>
> Hope you do it!
>
> Robert Smith
> Kirkland, WA
> www.smithvoice.com
>
> "Lucas Tam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns95B580F8CE844nntprogerscom@140.99.99.130.. .
>> "Robby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:ugJEv6c2EHA.3120
>> @TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:
>>
>>> The DataGrid is a web control. It is my understanding that it is for
>>> browser apps only. Can it placed on windows form without special
>>> gymnastics?
>>>

>>
>> There's a winforms version. If you find the built in datagrid too hard to
>> use... there are several 3rd party grids that might be easier to work
>> with.
>>
>> --
>> Lucas Tam ((E-Mail Removed))
>> Please delete "REMOVE" from the e-mail address when replying.
>> http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/coolspot18/

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Anon-E-Moose
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-05-2004
"smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:0Aqsd.1261$0r.1207
@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

> in fact I wonder why
> folks even put up with the freeware DataGrid when it's real version is
> available as "TrueDBGrid"


Probably because people don't want to be tied down with extra licenses or
rely on a third party to provide support. And the included ComponentOne
licenses are only valid on 1 CPU machines.

 
Reply With Quote
 
smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-05-2004


That's not true for the Windows controls. The 1 cpu EULA only applies to
the ASP.Net controls, which were'nt what he was asking about.

You get the license and you can use the TrueDBGrid and FlexGridPro in any
app you ever make, corporate or retail.

They are fully managed and so they work even in Autodeploy scenarios (I've
had FlexGridPro running in an autodeploy for about a year an a half, it
follows the app forms just like any other dll).

If you consider the light versions that come with VS to be valid for
releasing in apps then there is no reason to shy away from the real versions
that those were chisled out of.

ComponentOne isn't a fly by night company, they are the merger of Apex and
Videosoft, both top component vendors with history to the VBX days.

Sometimes using 3rd party widgets is silly - for things that you can code
yourself - but a Grid isn't one of them.

I don't know about you, but it would worry me more to release an app that
uses some of the iffy hacks that people have contrived to get the crippled
version to ack like the real version The one that is licensed with the
resource kit is a stable and proven build.

Hope that helps.

Smith

"Anon-E-Moose" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns95B68641FD813anonemooseyahoocom@140.99.99. 130...
> "smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:0Aqsd.1261$0r.1207
> @newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:
>
>> in fact I wonder why
>> folks even put up with the freeware DataGrid when it's real version is
>> available as "TrueDBGrid"

>
> Probably because people don't want to be tied down with extra licenses or
> rely on a third party to provide support. And the included ComponentOne
> licenses are only valid on 1 CPU machines.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-05-2004
By the way, the controls are a very importan deal. But the resource kit
should be checked out forf it's many code samples too.

I see on other posts that some folks have probs getting the samples to run
directly from the kits' aspx pages. If you hit this just look for them all
in the" ..\Program Files\vb resource kit\code samples\" folder, they are
named exactly as shown the in aspx pages.

hope that helps.

Robert Smith
Kirkland, WA
www.smtihvoice.com

"smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u9Jsd.1884$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
>
>
> That's not true for the Windows controls. The 1 cpu EULA only applies to
> the ASP.Net controls, which were'nt what he was asking about.
>
> You get the license and you can use the TrueDBGrid and FlexGridPro in any
> app you ever make, corporate or retail.
>
> They are fully managed and so they work even in Autodeploy scenarios (I've
> had FlexGridPro running in an autodeploy for about a year an a half, it
> follows the app forms just like any other dll).
>
> If you consider the light versions that come with VS to be valid for
> releasing in apps then there is no reason to shy away from the real
> versions that those were chisled out of.
>
> ComponentOne isn't a fly by night company, they are the merger of Apex and
> Videosoft, both top component vendors with history to the VBX days.
>
> Sometimes using 3rd party widgets is silly - for things that you can code
> yourself - but a Grid isn't one of them.
>
> I don't know about you, but it would worry me more to release an app that
> uses some of the iffy hacks that people have contrived to get the crippled
> version to ack like the real version The one that is licensed with the
> resource kit is a stable and proven build.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Smith
>
> "Anon-E-Moose" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns95B68641FD813anonemooseyahoocom@140.99.99. 130...
>> "smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:0Aqsd.1261$0r.1207
>> @newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:
>>
>>> in fact I wonder why
>>> folks even put up with the freeware DataGrid when it's real version is
>>> available as "TrueDBGrid"

>>
>> Probably because people don't want to be tied down with extra licenses or
>> rely on a third party to provide support. And the included ComponentOne
>> licenses are only valid on 1 CPU machines.
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to pass a collection of data from VB6 to C#.NET elaine ASP .Net 3 03-28-2007 01:01 AM
Repeater inside a repeater....how? voidfill3d@yahoo.com ASP .Net 1 08-10-2005 01:58 PM
Repeater Using Javascript Referencing a Column in the Repeater rwoo_98@yahoo.com ASP .Net 0 02-26-2005 05:02 PM
Repeater control with nested repeater chris.reed@digus.com ASP .Net 0 02-11-2005 05:10 PM
Data Type VC++ <--> VB6 robert@mindkey.co.za C++ 3 01-06-2005 09:13 AM



Advertisments