Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Electrical question

Electrical question

Xeno Chauvin

Problem:
Have HP printer that power adapter appears to have died.
When tested it does not produce the required 18 volts.
A friend has a power adapter that has similar specs but is
slightly different. If I use my friends power supply adapter do
I run the risk of further damaging my printer even for a short test
to make certain the power supply IS the real problem?
Friends power supply module -- 100-240VAC input, 50/60Hz, 1.0A, 76VA,
requires separate AC power cord - 18VDC output, 2.23A, 40 watts

My Power supply module-- - 100-240VAC input, 50/60Hz, 1.0A max, 82-111VA,
requires separate AC power cord - 18VDC output, 2.23A, 45 watt

Thanks

Xeno

Reginald Peregrine

Xeno Chauvin wrote:
> Problem:
> Have HP printer that power adapter appears to have died.
> When tested it does not produce the required 18 volts.
> A friend has a power adapter that has similar specs but is
> slightly different. If I use my friends power supply adapter do
> I run the risk of further damaging my printer even for a short test
> to make certain the power supply IS the real problem?
> Friends power supply module -- 100-240VAC input, 50/60Hz, 1.0A, 76VA,
> requires separate AC power cord - 18VDC output, 2.23A, 40 watts
>
> My Power supply module-- - 100-240VAC input, 50/60Hz, 1.0A max,
> 82-111VA, requires separate AC power cord - 18VDC output, 2.23A, 45
> watt

It'll be just fine, no worries.

Cubzilla

That should be fine , that is if your printer has not caused your PSU to
fail. the wattage is give by Volts x Amps

18 X 2.23 = 40.14 Watts at full load

Regards

Cub

"Xeno Chauvin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:G9j2d.3622$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Problem:
> Have HP printer that power adapter appears to have died.
> When tested it does not produce the required 18 volts.
> A friend has a power adapter that has similar specs but is
> slightly different. If I use my friends power supply adapter do
> I run the risk of further damaging my printer even for a short test
> to make certain the power supply IS the real problem?
> Friends power supply module -- 100-240VAC input, 50/60Hz, 1.0A, 76VA,
> requires separate AC power cord - 18VDC output, 2.23A, 40 watts
>
> My Power supply module-- - 100-240VAC input, 50/60Hz, 1.0A max, 82-111VA,
> requires separate AC power cord - 18VDC output, 2.23A, 45 watt
>

> Thanks
>
> Xeno

lugnut

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 16:27:18 GMT, "Xeno Chauvin"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Problem:
>Have HP printer that power adapter appears to have died.
>When tested it does not produce the required 18 volts.
>A friend has a power adapter that has similar specs but is
>slightly different. If I use my friends power supply adapter do
>I run the risk of further damaging my printer even for a short test
>to make certain the power supply IS the real problem?
>Friends power supply module -- 100-240VAC input, 50/60Hz, 1.0A, 76VA,
>requires separate AC power cord - 18VDC output, 2.23A, 40 watts
>
>My Power supply module-- - 100-240VAC input, 50/60Hz, 1.0A max, 82-111VA,
>requires separate AC power cord - 18VDC output, 2.23A, 45 watt
>

>Thanks
>
>Xeno

Should be fine. Make sure the plug polarity is the same.
You can do this with a simple VOM.