Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > System Stalling

System Stalling

slownut

About every 30sec-1 min my tower will make a sound like a car downshifting
and my mouse pointer will lagg until the tower "upshifts" and sounds normal
again. Am i enfected with something? I have had Norton Anti Virus and
Firewall running since I plugged this thing in and Spysweeper also runs. I
have about 80% left on the c drive, this machine is about two months old,
3200 amd processor running XP.

slownut

i also will mention that with Win Task Manger open, when this happens the
CPU Usage percentage that is on the bottom of the applications tab shoots up
to 100%

"slownut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ZN12d.226936$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> About every 30sec-1 min my tower will make a sound like a car downshifting
> and my mouse pointer will lagg until the tower "upshifts" and sounds

normal
> again. Am i enfected with something? I have had Norton Anti Virus and
> Firewall running since I plugged this thing in and Spysweeper also runs. I
> have about 80% left on the c drive, this machine is about two months old,
> 3200 amd processor running XP.

°Mike°

Is this your antivirus scanning during slack periods?
Try disconnecting from the net and temporarily disable
your antivirus, and any scheduled tasks you have set,
to see if the same thing occurs. Also close all other
applications and tasks, one by one, if you have to,
until you can identify the culprit, or rule out software.

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 20:44:14 GMT, in
<yQ12d.226937$(E-Mail Removed)>
slownut scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

mentalguy2004

> Is this your antivirus scanning during slack periods?
> Try disconnecting from the net and temporarily disable
> your antivirus, and any scheduled tasks you have set,
> to see if the same thing occurs. Also close all other
> applications and tasks, one by one, if you have to,
> until you can identify the culprit, or rule out software.
>

> On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 20:44:14 GMT, in
> <yQ12d.226937$(E-Mail Removed)>
> slownut scrawled:
>
>>i also will mention that with Win Task Manger open, when this happens the
>>CPU Usage percentage that is on the bottom of the applications tab shoots
>>up
>>to 100%
>>

>>"slownut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:ZN12d.226936$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>> About every 30sec-1 min my tower will make a sound like a car
>>> downshifting
>>> and my mouse pointer will lagg until the tower "upshifts" and sounds

>>normal
>>> again. Am i enfected with something? I have had Norton Anti Virus and
>>> Firewall running since I plugged this thing in and Spysweeper also runs.
>>> have about 80% left on the c drive, this machine is about two months
>>> old,
>>> 3200 amd processor running XP.
>>>

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

also, when you have this problem & the Task Manager open, click the
"processes" tab, and click the "cpu" column heading. This will sort the
running processes into order, so you can easily see which process is using
up your resources the most.

°Mike°

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 21:53:09 GMT, in
<9R22d.207$(E-Mail Removed)>
mentalguy2004 scrawled:

>> Is this your antivirus scanning during slack periods?
>> Try disconnecting from the net and temporarily disable
>> your antivirus, and any scheduled tasks you have set,
>> to see if the same thing occurs. Also close all other
>> applications and tasks, one by one, if you have to,
>> until you can identify the culprit, or rule out software.

<snip>

>also, when you have this problem & the Task Manager open, click the
>"processes" tab, and click the "cpu" column heading. This will sort the
>running processes into order, so you can easily see which process is using
>up your resources the most.

Please reply to the original poster; I do not have the problem.

--
Basic computer maintenance