Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > need advice on wiping hard drive

need advice on wiping hard drive

ftran999

As I had posted a few days ago my Western Digital hard drive has crashed.
luckely it is only a few months old and therefore still under warranty.
However, before contacting WD for an RMA, as you can imagine I'm a bit
paranoid about sending out my hd with my personal and financial info on it.
I know that when using windows xp, one way to wipe the disk is to use the
format option or even some third party application. However, since I can't
access windows what are my other options.
I looked through my bios (ami bios on an asus p4c800-e deluxe) but couldn't
find anything useful. I did find a program called KillDisk from which you
can create a bootable floppy with the wipe program on it but it doesn't seem
to be working. Is it true that passing a magnet over the hd will erase
the data on it.
Thanks in advance for you help

Special Ed

"ftran999" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> As I had posted a few days ago my Western Digital hard drive has crashed.
> luckely it is only a few months old and therefore still under warranty.
> However, before contacting WD for an RMA, as you can imagine I'm a bit
> paranoid about sending out my hd with my personal and financial info on
> it.
> I know that when using windows xp, one way to wipe the disk is to use the
> format option or even some third party application. However, since I
> can't
> access windows what are my other options.
> I looked through my bios (ami bios on an asus p4c800-e deluxe) but
> couldn't
> find anything useful. I did find a program called KillDisk from which you
> can create a bootable floppy with the wipe program on it but it doesn't
> seem
> to be working. Is it true that passing a magnet over the hd will erase
> the data on it.
> Thanks in advance for you help

Get PGP- it has a DOD disk-wipe utitlity.

Edw.

Pralag the degenerate-influencer

Special Ed, the pompous, sleepy-eyed head louse, and farm animal castrator,
railed:

And how ****ing good will that be if the onboard controller card is rooted,
you ****ing, stupidly ignorant, inadmissible, campy bat?

--
You squabbling, blotchy, stitched gnatcatcher.

127.0.0.1

"ftran999" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> As I had posted a few days ago my Western Digital hard drive has crashed.
> luckely it is only a few months old and therefore still under warranty.
> However, before contacting WD for an RMA, as you can imagine I'm a bit
> paranoid about sending out my hd with my personal and financial info on

it.
> I know that when using windows xp, one way to wipe the disk is to use the
> format option or even some third party application. However, since I

can't
> access windows what are my other options.
> I looked through my bios (ami bios on an asus p4c800-e deluxe) but

couldn't
> find anything useful. I did find a program called KillDisk from which you
> can create a bootable floppy with the wipe program on it but it doesn't

seem
> to be working. Is it true that passing a magnet over the hd will erase
> the data on it.
> Thanks in advance for you help

go to the hospital and let em do an mri scan on it..

-a|ex

Liz

"127.0.0.1" wrote

> go to the hospital and let em do an mri scan on it..

I was there today, defrag went smoothly.