Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Streamlining using services.msc

Streamlining using services.msc

Cloud Burst

Hi.

I have a relatively low speed (350MHz) Dell that I'm trying to
optimize. After installing XP SP2 I noticed Security Center in
the System Tray so I decided to get rid of any services I didn't
think I needed. I don't use Windows Firewall.

I wonder if someone could let me know if there is any good reason
to leave the following services enabled. I've already disabled
Security Center since I don't think I need it. I use ZoneAlarm,
Norton AntiVirus, and I don't share anything over the network.

Also, can you think of any other services that I can disable?

Remote Registry
Sounds dangerous to me.

Server
I don't see why I need this.

Wireless Zero Configuration
I have nothing wireless to utilize this.

Thanks.

CB

Ron Martell

Cloud Burst <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi.
>
>I have a relatively low speed (350MHz) Dell that I'm trying to
>optimize. After installing XP SP2 I noticed Security Center in
>the System Tray so I decided to get rid of any services I didn't
>think I needed. I don't use Windows Firewall.
>
>I wonder if someone could let me know if there is any good reason
>to leave the following services enabled. I've already disabled
>Security Center since I don't think I need it. I use ZoneAlarm,
>Norton AntiVirus, and I don't share anything over the network.
>
>Also, can you think of any other services that I can disable?
>
>Remote Registry
> Sounds dangerous to me.
>
>Server
> I don't see why I need this.
>
>Wireless Zero Configuration
> I have nothing wireless to utilize this.
>
>Thanks.
>
>CB

See http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm for detailed advice
on reconfiguring services, and the potential consequences or risks (if
any) of doing so.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--