Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > port problem? lost connection

port problem? lost connection

KC

My sister and her 'puter are 200 mi. away so I'm trying to help via
messenger. She was trying to upload her resume to the Coca-Cola site
when her computer froze and since then she can't get online. One error
message said something about ports and after trying to delete her
connection and re-entering everything, then installing a whole new
modem the latest message says: I have ME and the most current message
is "the modem is not responding properly, please verifythe the modem is
plugged into the computer and the telephone line". Which it is!!!
I suspect some kind of hijack but she wants to just go buy another
computer (must be nice! to be able to do that). I'm hoping someone here
can give us a clue
TIA
KC

KC

KC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My sister and her 'puter are 200 mi. away so I'm trying to help via
> messenger. She was trying to upload her resume to the Coca-Cola site
> when her computer froze and since then she can't get online. One

error
> message said something about ports and after trying to delete her
> connection and re-entering everything, then installing a whole new
> modem the latest message says: I have ME and the most current message
> is "the modem is not responding properly, please verifythe the modem

is
> plugged into the computer and the telephone line". Which it is!!!
> I suspect some kind of hijack but she wants to just go buy another
> computer (must be nice! to be able to do that). I'm hoping someone

here
> can give us a clue
> TIA
> KC

Sorry, it's a winME box and that's all I know about it

samuel

"KC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> My sister and her 'puter are 200 mi. away so I'm trying to help
> via messenger. She was trying to upload her resume to the
> Coca-Cola site when her computer froze and since then she can't
> get online. One error message said something about ports and
> after trying to delete her connection and re-entering everything,
> then installing a whole new modem the latest message says: I have
> ME and the most current message is "the modem is not responding
> properly, please verifythe the modem is plugged into the computer
> and the telephone line". Which it is!!! I suspect some kind of
> hijack but she wants to just go buy another computer (must be
> nice! to be able to do that). I'm hoping someone here can give us
> a clue TIA
> KC

reinstall the drivers for the modem ?
did she try system restore ?

KC

samuel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "KC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > My sister and her 'puter are 200 mi. away so I'm trying to help
> > via messenger. She was trying to upload her resume to the
> > Coca-Cola site when her computer froze and since then she can't
> > get online. One error message said something about ports and
> > after trying to delete her connection and re-entering everything,
> > then installing a whole new modem the latest message says: I have
> > ME and the most current message is "the modem is not responding
> > properly, please verifythe the modem is plugged into the computer
> > and the telephone line". Which it is!!! I suspect some kind of
> > hijack but she wants to just go buy another computer (must be
> > nice! to be able to do that). I'm hoping someone here can give us
> > a clue TIA
> > KC

> reinstall the drivers for the modem ?
> did she try system restore ?

Hi--
She put in a brand new modem so I don't think it's a driver problem, but
will mention it to her. She hasn't tried system restore as far as I
know---I myself run 98se so how do you do that in ME??
I suspect something happened while she was 'bare-assed' uploading, but I
could be wrong. Evidence seems to be pointing to port settings since
the computer itself is fine and her son's computer has no problem
connecting to the same ISP.
Thanks for your thoughts.