Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > PAR2?

PAR2?

Caagh

Hi
I have just got a newsreader (Agent) and am trying to understand
binaries.

I have just got a file from alt.binaries.tv.simpson which has
downloaded as a PAR2 file. I googled this and downloaded something
called QuickPar but I still can't get it to open.

Can anybody give me easy-to-follow guideline as to how this all works?
Many thanks
Caagh

Caaagh

Thank you so much! I was really lost
Caagh
"mentalguy2004" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsvA0d.48$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Caagh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>> I have just got a newsreader (Agent) and am trying to understand
>> binaries.
>>
>> I have just got a file from alt.binaries.tv.simpson which has
>> downloaded as a PAR2 file. I googled this and downloaded something
>> called QuickPar but I still can't get it to open.
>>
>> Can anybody give me easy-to-follow guideline as to how this all works?
>> Many thanks
>> Caagh

> You need to download the original file parts, as well as none, some, or
> all, of the par2 files. The par2 files are there just to fill in any
> missing parts of the original files, but you can't get anything out of a
> par2 file on it's own. Download as many parts of the original file as
> possible, then use the par2 files to recreate any missing parts in those
> files (if there ~are~ any missing parts). Bearing in mind that although
> you may download what appears to be a complete set of files (eg
> simpsons1of7.rar, simpsons2of7.rar etc), these parts are also made up of
> smaller parts, and some of these can be missing or corrupted. I prefer
> SmartPar:
>
> http://www.smr-usenet.com/download/smartpar13d1.exe
>
> A good tutorial is here:
>
> http://www.slyck.com/ng.php?page=6

Sano

We all are. TINW

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 12:06:33 +0100, Caaagh wrote:

> Thank you so much! I was really lost
> Caagh
> "mentalguy2004" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsvA0d.48$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Caagh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi
>>> I have just got a newsreader (Agent) and am trying to understand
>>> binaries.

The problem is the fools excluding myself that post binaries don't know how
to post rar recovery files that's why you're asking this question. All you
people out there start using rar recovery files not PAR2 files. I'd like to
know how this PAR2 crap got started? Maybe i'll post a tutorial on how to
post rar recovery files.
"Caagh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> I have just got a newsreader (Agent) and am trying to understand
> binaries.
>
> I have just got a file from alt.binaries.tv.simpson which has
> downloaded as a PAR2 file. I googled this and downloaded something
> called QuickPar but I still can't get it to open.
>
> Can anybody give me easy-to-follow guideline as to how this all works?
> Many thanks
> Caagh

gangle

Par and Par2 are, essentially, the same sort of wild card system
as Rar recovery. However, he simple truth is that the Par and
Par2 systems are easier to learn to use and more intuitive than
the Rar recovery system. That's why THEY are flourishing, while
Rar recovery is not.

<Plenty> wrote
> The problem is the fools excluding myself that post binaries don't know how
> to post rar recovery files that's why you're asking this question. All you
> people out there start using rar recovery files not PAR2 files. I'd like to
> know how this PAR2 crap got started? Maybe i'll post a tutorial on how to
> post rar recovery files.
> "Caagh" wrote
> > Hi
> > I have just got a newsreader (Agent) and am trying to understand
> > binaries.
> >
> > I have just got a file from alt.binaries.tv.simpson which has
> > downloaded as a PAR2 file. I googled this and downloaded something
> > called QuickPar but I still can't get it to open.
> >
> > Can anybody give me easy-to-follow guideline as to how this all works?
> > Many thanks
> > Caagh

Sano

Uh, rar recovery is proprietary:
http://abma.x-maru.org/faq/plain/archive.php/#par

Pars, preferably Par2 work with just about anything.