Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Compile linux, aix4, sgi, or sun on Mac OS X?

Reply
Thread Tools

Compile linux, aix4, sgi, or sun on Mac OS X?

 
 
Bill Mazlar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-11-2004
Hi,

I'm trying to get a unix/linux distibution to compile on my Mac OS X
10.3 machine and I have the following 4 types to choose from: linux,
aix4, sgi, sun. Does anyone know if compiling any of these types of
files is possible? Do I need the Apple Developer CD or some other
software packages before I can start to compile?

The software I'm trying to compile is for a class I'm taking. Details
in the url:
http://www.physics.cornell.edu/sss/download.html

Thanks,
--

-Bill

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Michael Vilain
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-11-2004
In article <2004091102242616807%cookyourspam@yourhome>,
Bill Mazlar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get a unix/linux distibution to compile on my Mac OS X
> 10.3 machine and I have the following 4 types to choose from: linux,
> aix4, sgi, sun. Does anyone know if compiling any of these types of
> files is possible? Do I need the Apple Developer CD or some other
> software packages before I can start to compile?
>
> The software I'm trying to compile is for a class I'm taking. Details
> in the url:
> http://www.physics.cornell.edu/sss/download.html
>
> Thanks,


You may have to customize the installation files and perhaps the
sources. MacOS X is closest to BSD's APIs but none of the ports they
have match that API. If this is important to you, you'll have to port
this package to MacOS X.

If you've done porting projects before, great. If you're more of a
Solid State Physicist, I'd buy a system this package runs on instead of
porting it. But, you're time is your own.

--
DeeDee, don't press that button! DeeDee! NO! Dee...



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
why?
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-11-2004

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 06:24:26 GMT, Bill Mazlar wrote:

x-post with no followup set trimmed to 24HSHD from
comp.sys.mac.system, comp.os.linux.advocacy, comp.sys.mac.advocacy,
24hoursupport.helpdesk

>Hi,
>
>I'm trying to get a unix/linux distibution to compile on my Mac OS X
>10.3 machine and I have the following 4 types to choose from: linux,
>aix4, sgi, sun. Does anyone know if compiling any of these types of
>files is possible? Do I need the Apple Developer CD or some other


Always, depends if you have an IBM(aix), Silicon Graphics(sgi) or Sun
hardware. Try the general Linux distro but first try the Linux exe to
see if it even runs.

<snip>

Me
 
Reply With Quote
 
Parko
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-11-2004
On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:09:50 +0000, why? wrote:

> try the Linux exe

Yeah.
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-Building-HOWTO.html
http://www.rpm.org/
http://urpmi.org/easyurpmi/index.php
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ap.../index.en.html
http://www.hut.fi/~tkarvine/yum-package-manager.html
--
Parko
Registered Linux User #339345
And now for something completely different...software management.

 
Reply With Quote
 
why?
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-11-2004

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 11:35:50 GMT, Parko wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:09:50 +0000, why? wrote:
>
>> try the Linux exe

>Yeah.


What?

>http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-Building-HOWTO.html
>http://www.rpm.org/

<snip>

Me
 
Reply With Quote
 
sqool
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-11-2004
It is alleged that sometime during Sat, 11 Sep 2004 11:35:50 +0000, Parko
wrote this:

> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:09:50 +0000, why? wrote:
>
>> try the Linux exe


AFAIK "linux.exe" is Mono -
http://arstechnica.com/news/posts/20040714-3994.html
Normally Linux doesn't use file extensions.
Have you seen this "Linux exe" before?

> Yeah.
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-Building-HOWTO.html http://www.rpm.org/
> http://urpmi.org/easyurpmi/index.php
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ap.../index.en.html
> http://www.hut.fi/~tkarvine/yum-package-manager.html


--
SuSE 9.1 Pro
KDE 3.3.0
linux 2.6.5-7.108 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
Reclaim your computer!- http://linuxnotjustforgeeks.org/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Mazlar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-11-2004
Apparently I couldn't execute the linux port (or any of the others) in
my Terminal or X11, getting the following message:

-bash: /Users/myusername/Desktop/sss/linuxbin/drude: cannot execute binary file
logout
[Process completed]

How do I recompile a linux on my Mac OS X to make it work? I heard
that I might need something called 'gcc'...this could be complete
horseshit so does any one know for sure?

Thanks!

On 2004-09-11 09:26:48 -0400, sqool <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> It is alleged that sometime during Sat, 11 Sep 2004 11:35:50 +0000, Parko
> wrote this:
>
>> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:09:50 +0000, why? wrote:
>>
>>> try the Linux exe

>
> AFAIK "linux.exe" is Mono -
> http://arstechnica.com/news/posts/20040714-3994.html
> Normally Linux doesn't use file extensions.
> Have you seen this "Linux exe" before?
>
>> Yeah.
>> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-Building-HOWTO.html http://www.rpm.org/
>> http://urpmi.org/easyurpmi/index.php
>> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ap.../index.en.html
>> http://www.hut.fi/~tkarvine/yum-package-manager.html



--

-Bill

 
Reply With Quote
 
sqool
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-11-2004
It is alleged that sometime during Sat, 11 Sep 2004 13:41:48 +0000, Bill
Mazlar wrote this:

> Apparently I couldn't execute the linux port (or any of the others) in my
> Terminal or X11, getting the following message:
>
> -bash: /Users/myusername/Desktop/sss/linuxbin/drude: cannot execute binary
> file logout
> [Process completed]
>
> How do I recompile a linux on my Mac OS X to make it work? I heard that I
> might need something called 'gcc'...this could be complete horseshit so
> does any one know for sure?
>
> Thanks!


If you want to recompile a linux distro from scratch, you'll need it &
this is the homepage. http://gcc.gnu.org/

This may help -
http://ppc.linux.or.jp/~aoshimak/install.html

OTOH if you want a linux distribution to download & install on a PPC,
there is
Yellowdog - http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/ydl_home.shtml
Mandrake - http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/ppc.php3
& this other - http://cruxppc.sunsite.dk/


Some information about porting linux to Apple -
http://www.mklinux.org/
http://penguinppc.org/
http://www.desertsol.com/~kevin/ppc/



> On 2004-09-11 09:26:48 -0400, sqool <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> It is alleged that sometime during Sat, 11 Sep 2004 11:35:50 +0000,
>> Parko wrote this:
>>
>>> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:09:50 +0000, why? wrote:
>>>
>>>> try the Linux exe

>>
>> AFAIK "linux.exe" is Mono -
>> http://arstechnica.com/news/posts/20040714-3994.html Normally Linux
>> doesn't use file extensions. Have you seen this "Linux exe" before?
>>
>>> Yeah.
>>> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-Building-HOWTO.html
>>> http://www.rpm.org/ http://urpmi.org/easyurpmi/index.php
>>> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ap.../index.en.html
>>> http://www.hut.fi/~tkarvine/yum-package-manager.html


--
SuSE 9.1 Pro
KDE 3.3.0
linux 2.6.5-7.108 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
Reclaim your computer!- http://linuxnotjustforgeeks.org/
 
Reply With Quote
 
sqool
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-11-2004
It is alleged that sometime during Sat, 11 Sep 2004 15:20:46 +0100, sqool
wrote this:

> It is alleged that sometime during Sat, 11 Sep 2004 13:41:48 +0000, Bill
> Mazlar wrote this:


Additional to my previous message, I just found this -
http://users.bestweb.net/~john3g/ppc.../ppc_help.html

--
SuSE 9.1 Pro
KDE 3.3.0
linux 2.6.5-7.108 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
Reclaim your computer!- http://linuxnotjustforgeeks.org/
 
Reply With Quote
 
why?
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-11-2004

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:26:48 +0100, sqool wrote:

>It is alleged that sometime during Sat, 11 Sep 2004 11:35:50 +0000, Parko
>wrote this:
>
>> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:09:50 +0000, why? wrote:
>>
>>> try the Linux exe


You seem to be replying to my text quoted in the Parko post, and not my
post directly. It's a bit confusing.

>AFAIK "linux.exe" is Mono -
>http://arstechnica.com/news/posts/20040714-3994.html
>Normally Linux doesn't use file extensions.
>Have you seen this "Linux exe" before?


See the link in the OP post.
http://www.physics.cornell.edu/sss/download.html

Unix
If you wish only the executable files, choose the appropriate one of:
executable linux (6.7 MB)

Which links to a file
http://www.physics.cornell.edu/sss/d...exe_new.tar.gz



>> Yeah.
>> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-Building-HOWTO.html http://www.rpm.org/

<snip>

Me
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cant compile on linux system.cant compile on cant compile onlinux system. Nagaraj C++ 1 03-01-2007 11:18 AM
Sun Updates Sun Java Availability Suite, Adds Sun Cluster Advanced Edition for Oracle Real Application Clusters Deployments technology_post@yahoo.com Java 0 04-05-2006 04:29 AM
[SUN] Take Sun Security Course and Get a Digital Camera Joan MacEachern Java 0 10-01-2003 03:14 PM
Sun ONE, The xerces problem (Sun One Oh my) Roy Benjamin Java 3 07-23-2003 08:32 PM
[SUN] Discounts from Sun Developer Network bookstore James Cham Java 0 07-21-2003 03:24 PM



Advertisments