Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > HD sounds like its revving for a race

HD sounds like its revving for a race

Totally Serious

All of a sudden my HDD sounds like it is revving at a stop light for a race.
I can hear it go "RRRRREEEVVVV...... RRRRREEEEVVV.... RRRRREEEEEVVVV."

Any ideas what this means? Is it getting ready to take a dump?

Its an IBM 7200RPM ATA-133 IDE drive... about 4 years old.

Scraggy

Totally Serious wrote:
> All of a sudden my HDD sounds like it is revving at a stop light for
> a race. I can hear it go "RRRRREEEVVVV...... RRRRREEEEVVV....
> RRRRREEEEEVVVV."
>
> Any ideas what this means? Is it getting ready to take a dump?
>
> Its an IBM 7200RPM ATA-133 IDE drive... about 4 years old.

Back it up now, if you have not already done so. Go to IBM site & download
relevent diagnostic tool. I fear the news may not be good.
--
Most fools think they are only ignorant.
-- Benjamin Franklin

Allen Balthrop

Scraggy wrote:
> Totally Serious wrote:
>> All of a sudden my HDD sounds like it is revving at a stop light for
>> a race. I can hear it go "RRRRREEEVVVV...... RRRRREEEEVVV....
>> RRRRREEEEEVVVV."
>>
>> Any ideas what this means? Is it getting ready to take a dump?
>>
>> Its an IBM 7200RPM ATA-133 IDE drive... about 4 years old.

> Back it up now, if you have not already done so. Go to IBM site &
> download relevent diagnostic tool. I fear the news may not be good.

I could fix that with a floppy.

Can you help me with this problem? Below is what I
posted once before, but I can't remember where.

Hello,

Sorry for the x post but I need help big time...

I installed a new motherboard and cpu in my system as I fried the old ones.

I did not do a clean install of Windows XP as my HP Pavilion system did not
come with any recovery cd's so I hooked my existing hard drive up to the
system and powered up.

Anyway, it powers up ok but the first time I switched it on there was a blue
error screen that flashed on for a second and then the system rebooted
itself.

Now when I power on I can get past the bios screen ok but before the windows
logo appears I get the boot menu offering safe mode , safe mode with
networking, normal mode etc. A message appears on this screen saying that
the options appear as windows xp did not shut down correctly etc etc

If I choose normal mode then a white progress bar at the bottom of the
screen appears, it gets to the end of it and sits there.....for ever. If I
choose safe mode then it shows it loading all the files from the hard drive
and it gets to a file agp440.sys and it sits there...forever. So whatever
this file is it is causing the system to hang,

Various fixes I have seen include getting into Windows and disabling the
agp440.sys service. But I cannot get into xp at all as my system did not
come with boot cd's.

I can boot to a win98 floppy ok but I cannot access drive c: as it is ntfs,
I thought maybe I could rename agp440.sys to something else.

Any ideas on how to get round this agp440.sys problem? I really don't
want to do a clean install as I have no win xp cd's. My hp pavilion system
contains it's setup files on some hidden partition on the drive.
But I can print.

Thanks

Totally Serious

"Scraggy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Totally Serious wrote:
>> All of a sudden my HDD sounds like it is revving at a stop light for
>> a race. I can hear it go "RRRRREEEVVVV...... RRRRREEEEVVV....
>> RRRRREEEEEVVVV."
>>
>> Any ideas what this means? Is it getting ready to take a dump?
>>
>> Its an IBM 7200RPM ATA-133 IDE drive... about 4 years old.

> Back it up now, if you have not already done so. Go to IBM site & download
> relevent diagnostic tool. I fear the news may not be good.
> --

I have 2 HDD in my computer. Is backing up HDD #1 as simple as highlighting
the HDD and selecting COPY, and then PASTING it onto HDD #2?

There is plenty of room on HDD #2 (slave). I started to do that, but stopped
because I was uncertain. Also, after I had stopped it did already copy some
files and I have a file on my HDD #2 that said "LOCAL DISC C"

If I "back it up" this way, can I just open my computer and switch #2 to
MASTER and then get rid of #1?

Andy Kelly

> I have 2 HDD in my computer. Is backing up HDD #1 as simple as

highlighting
> the HDD and selecting COPY, and then PASTING it onto HDD #2?

yes, but don't do the whole lot in one go. Every time I've tried something
like that it has stopped half way through. Limit yourself to 50MB at a time.

> If I "back it up" this way, can I just open my computer and switch #2 to
> MASTER and then get rid of #1?

Hmm, you would need to have an operating system loaded on the second drive.
Theory is that you could load the OS and it wouldn't affect your data but I
wouldn't trust it.