Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Tiny & Supanet!

Tiny & Supanet!

Cleb

I just spent £1200 on a new PC from Tiny and discovered that it is
locked into Supanet for Internet access, including its own version of
Internet Explorer.

I found this site which pretty well sorted it all out because Tiny
wanted £1 per minute to do it:
http://inq1.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/time.html

However, I still couldn't get rid of the IE bit so rather in temper I
attempted to install Windows XP Professional over the already
installed XP Home. It cocked up with 13 minutes to go, saying there
was a .dll file missing, and now I am stuck, as it wont cancel the
install.

I would be grateful for any help to sort the thing out so that I can
use it as I have probably breached Tiny's conditions, or they will
want another £60 for their restart disk.

°Mike°

How Do I Do a Repair Installation:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 23:56:42 +0100, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Cleb scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

sqool

It is alleged that sometime during Thu, 09 Sep 2004 23:56:42 +0100, Cleb
wrote this:

> I just spent £1200 on a new PC from Tiny and discovered that it is locked
> into Supanet for Internet access, including its own version of Internet
> Explorer.
>
> I found this site which pretty well sorted it all out because Tiny wanted
> £1 per minute to do it:
> http://inq1.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/time.html
>
> However, I still couldn't get rid of the IE bit so rather in temper I
> attempted to install Windows XP Professional over the already installed XP
> Home. It cocked up with 13 minutes to go, saying there was a .dll file
> missing, and now I am stuck, as it wont cancel the install.
>
> I would be grateful for any help to sort the thing out so that I can use
> it as I have probably breached Tiny's conditions, or they will want
> another £60 for their restart disk.

IIRC, Time (which owns Supanet) bought out Tiny when they went bust. hence
why you're locked into Supanet.

--
Author of:-
Self-help video: Get Confident-Stupid!

Scrote

Cleb wrote:
>> I just spent £1200 on a new PC from Tiny and discovered that it is
>> locked into Supanet for Internet access, including its own version of
>> Internet Explorer.
>>
>> I found this site which pretty well sorted it all out because Tiny
>> wanted £1 per minute to do it:
>> http://inq1.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/time.html
>>
>> However, I still couldn't get rid of the IE bit so rather in temper I
>> attempted to install Windows XP Professional over the already
>> installed XP Home. It cocked up with 13 minutes to go, saying there
>> was a .dll file missing, and now I am stuck, as it wont cancel the
>> install.
>>
>> I would be grateful for any help to sort the thing out so that I can
>> use it as I have probably breached Tiny's conditions, or they will
>> want another £60 for their restart disk.

It has been my experience, with Tiny machines bought via Tesco, that
only the low end ones were "locked," not so with the high end.

YMMV
--
Twas a woman who drove me to drink.
I never had the courtesy to thank her.

The reason that you are locked into using Supanet is because Tiny use a
custom modem driver. You can obtain a generic modem driver from
http://www.conexant.com/support/md_d...ssistance.html which doesn't have
this "feature". If this fails Dabs value modems work well, I have fitted
several and not had a problem
http://www.dabs.com/uk/Search2/Produ...chphrase=modem
only 9.98 Pounds plus postage!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...