Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Win XP hangs at welcome screen!

Win XP hangs at welcome screen!

Brando

Please help! I was transferring my hard drive image to another (larger) hard
drive tonight when Western Digital's "Data LifeGuard" utility ceashed. Now
my c: drive thinks it's an f: drive (so scandisk tells me!), but worse still
is that I can't get past the welcome screen to get to my files! I tried to
select safe mode and "restore my system", etc., but it's stopping at the
same place all the time no matter which option I choose. It took me months
to get my programs installed and now it looks like I'm going to lose them.
What can I do?
BB

P.S.
My mouse pointer works, but that's all.
;o(
I'm using Win XP Pro.

why?

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 22:55:57 GMT, Brando wrote:

Another, BYer. Your antispam address munge is in the wrong place.

The aim is too not only not get spam but avoid it hitting your ISP
servers (hence tacking up bandwidth/storage and processing power). As
is, the BY server tries multiple times to deliver to
"BrandonBladesNOSHIT" , you don't get the spam but the server does and
tries to process it then gives up maybe 24 hours after.

http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyond...oting_howavoid
or

>Please help! I was transferring my hard drive image to another (larger) hard
>drive tonight when Western Digital's "Data LifeGuard" utility ceashed. Now

Get another disk / CD\DVD Writer, Get Norton Ghost image original disk
to one of those. This way you have a copy of everything as is. Check the
copy is okay.

>my c: drive thinks it's an f: drive (so scandisk tells me!), but worse still
>is that I can't get past the welcome screen to get to my files! I tried to

An NT class OS usually handles partition changes fairly well, you may
get a lot of errors but I have seen it run the OS in cases when C:
became D: or even E:

Any of the FAQ of any use?
http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....r/grid_alp.php

Without knowing what DLG did, (created a mini partition, altered mbr)
it's only a guess but if you can see the boot.ini file it's possible to
alter the partition number to point to where the OS (now) resides. I am
<bold>NOT<bold> suggesting you do anything like this, it could be **
very risky ** but here is a MS article to show you what I mean.

My 1st task would be a Norton Ghost Image, to CD/DVD writer to at least
save what you do have before trying any fix.

>select safe mode and "restore my system", etc., but it's stopping at the
>same place all the time no matter which option I choose. It took me months

The same place is?

>to get my programs installed and now it looks like I'm going to lose them.

If you fix it, make a safety disk image using Ghost.

>What can I do?

I usually install to a new HD, install apps off my custom CDs i.e. all
applications and licence keys together in 1 place. Copy any data off the
old HD which became a slave disk.

>BB
>
>P.S.
>My mouse pointer works, but that's all.
>;o(
>I'm using Win XP Pro.

Me

Duane Arnold

Brando wrote:

> Please help! I was transferring my hard drive image to another (larger)
> hard drive tonight when Western Digital's "Data LifeGuard" utility
> ceashed. Now my c: drive thinks it's an f: drive (so scandisk tells me!),
> but worse still is that I can't get past the welcome screen to get to my
> files! I tried to select safe mode and "restore my system", etc., but it's
> stopping at the same place all the time no matter which option I choose.
> It took me months to get my programs installed and now it looks like I'm
> going to lose them. What can I do?
> BB
>
> P.S.
> My mouse pointer works, but that's all.
> ;o(
> I'm using Win XP Pro.

I just got a copy of the CD from a guy at work. It has a lot of utilities. I
have not used it, but I did boot with it on the XP Pro machine just to see
how it works. Maybe, if nothing else, you can boot-up and can get to the HD
and do something to save your data.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

--
Duane

I run MS XP Pro and SuSE Linux Pro and I like both of them.

Reid Decker

Have you tried hitting DELETE when starting up? This should put you
into SETUP. Then maybe you could try booting up with a different drive.
That might allow you to get past the problem. I have done this, and it
worked for me.
news:1c50d.4271$(E-Mail Removed) ...