Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Dotnet versus Java-Applets

Dotnet versus Java-Applets

Eitan

Hello,

I know Java-Applet (written for JBuilder).
I would like to know about dotnet technology,
pros and cons in comparation to Java-Applet technololgy.
Can I write a program in dotnet, like Java-Applet, compile it, debug it, and
put it as a class on an HTML (like Java-Applet).

I would like to introduce to the dot net technology.
Give me some samples, please, and a comparation to Java-Applet technology.

Thanks

Morten Wennevik

Hi Eitan,

Short and simple answer:
Alas, there is no .net equivalent to java applets.

Happy Coding!
Morten Wennevik [C# MVP]

"Eitan" <no_spam_please@nospam_please.com> skrev i melding
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I know Java-Applet (written for JBuilder).
> I would like to know about dotnet technology,
> pros and cons in comparation to Java-Applet technololgy.
> Can I write a program in dotnet, like Java-Applet, compile it, debug it,
> and
> put it as a class on an HTML (like Java-Applet).
>
> I would like to introduce to the dot net technology.
> Give me some samples, please, and a comparation to Java-Applet technology.
>
> Thanks

Philipp Sumi

You can run WinForms user controls in IE. Of couse, this requires the
..NET framework on the client machine.

http://www.15seconds.com/issue/030610.htm

hth, Philipp

ps: Please don't crosspost - one newsgroup is definitely enough...

Eitan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I know Java-Applet (written for JBuilder).
> I would like to know about dotnet technology,
> pros and cons in comparation to Java-Applet technololgy.
> Can I write a program in dotnet, like Java-Applet, compile it, debug it, and
> put it as a class on an HTML (like Java-Applet).
>
> I would like to introduce to the dot net technology.
> Give me some samples, please, and a comparation to Java-Applet technology.
>
> Thanks

Eitan

"Morten Wennevik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Eitan,
>
> Short and simple answer:
> Alas, there is no .net equivalent to java applets.
>
> Happy Coding!
> Morten Wennevik [C# MVP]

Thanks,
Are you sure - What can I do instead ?
That means there is no substitude instead.

I want to see some of the documentation of Microsoft, that explains what's
beyond the dotnet in general.

Thanks again

Morten Wennevik

Well, you could write ActiveX controls, or follow the procedure Philipp
mentioned.
The former is considered unsafe, the latter requires that the client user
has a windows version running Internet Explorer 6+ with .net framework
installed. Then again, if the user is running Internet Explorer you can
detect if he has framework installed and tailor the web page accordingly.

Happy Coding!
Morten Wennevik [C# MVP]

"Eitan" <no_spam_please@nospam_please.com> skrev i melding
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Morten Wennevik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Eitan,
>>
>> Short and simple answer:
>> Alas, there is no .net equivalent to java applets.
>>
>> Happy Coding!
>> Morten Wennevik [C# MVP]

> Thanks,
> Are you sure - What can I do instead ?
> That means there is no substitude instead.
>
> I want to see some of the documentation of Microsoft, that explains what's
> beyond the dotnet in general.
>
> Thanks again

Michel Gallant

Embedded .NET controls are fairly close.
Regarding privileged Java applets (like RSA signed Java applets supported in Java 2 1.2+),
the next release of .NET (longhorn) has "ClickOnce" deployment functionality which provides
similar client convenience and permissions-enabling.

Cheers,
- Mitch Gallant
MVP Security
www.jensign.com

"Eitan" <no_spam_please@nospam_please.com> wrote in message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I know Java-Applet (written for JBuilder).
> I would like to know about dotnet technology,
> pros and cons in comparation to Java-Applet technololgy.
> Can I write a program in dotnet, like Java-Applet, compile it, debug it, and
> put it as a class on an HTML (like Java-Applet).
>
> I would like to introduce to the dot net technology.
> Give me some samples, please, and a comparation to Java-Applet technology.
>
> Thanks

Eitan

What I am searching right now is not the security abilities,
but functionalities and components as JBuilder has (mostly).
I am looking for IDE enviroment, that I can make classes, and simply put it
on an HTML form.

Thank

I didn't see the development on dotnet, and I would be glade, if I can
develop a class (or something like Java Applets, or flash pro - but flash
pro
"Michel Gallant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:SRKjd.5652$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Embedded .NET controls are fairly close.
> Regarding privileged Java applets (like RSA signed Java applets supported

in Java 2 1.2+),
> the next release of .NET (longhorn) has "ClickOnce" deployment

functionality which provides
> similar client convenience and permissions-enabling.
>
> Cheers,
> - Mitch Gallant
> MVP Security
> www.jensign.com
>
> "Eitan" <no_spam_please@nospam_please.com> wrote in message

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I know Java-Applet (written for JBuilder).
> > I would like to know about dotnet technology,
> > pros and cons in comparation to Java-Applet technololgy.
> > Can I write a program in dotnet, like Java-Applet, compile it, debug it,

and
> > put it as a class on an HTML (like Java-Applet).
> >
> > I would like to introduce to the dot net technology.
> > Give me some samples, please, and a comparation to Java-Applet

technology.

> > Thanks

Frank Hileman

I don't know why Morten said there is no equivalent. The equivalent is a
..net UserControl. Here is an example using vector graphics; it runs with the
default permissions, no installation is required.
http://weblogs.asp.net/frank_hileman...23/192509.aspx

Regards,
Frank Hileman

check out VG.net: www.vgdotnet.com
Animated vector graphics system
Integrated Visual Studio .NET graphics editor

"Eitan" <no_spam_please@nospam_please.com> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I know Java-Applet (written for JBuilder).
> I would like to know about dotnet technology,
> pros and cons in comparation to Java-Applet technololgy.
> Can I write a program in dotnet, like Java-Applet, compile it, debug it,
> and
> put it as a class on an HTML (like Java-Applet).
>
> I would like to introduce to the dot net technology.
> Give me some samples, please, and a comparation to Java-Applet technology.
>
> Thanks

Jeff Johnson [MVP: VB]

Please do not crosspost between .NET and non-.NET groups. The *.vb.* groups
are for VB6 and earlier.

=?Utf-8?B?bXNjZXJ0aWZpZWQ=?=

If you read the rules of these forums, there is no prohibition against
cross-posting. It is quite often necessary to post to multiple forums to get
a reply.