Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > norton anti virus

norton anti virus

P_J_G

I have recently installed linux on my system and am doing a dual boot
with windows xp. The problem is norton anti virus keeps telling me
that my bootloader is a virus and tries to repair it (bloodhound.mbr)
problem is that the anti virus keeps killing the MBR so that my
computer will not boot (although I know how get my computer to boot
again), Is there any way of stoping the anti virus damaging my boot
record. I don't want to stop bloodhound virus reconition unless I
relly have to.

thanks in advance.

°Mike°

Get rid of the Norton virus that you've installed.

KAV (Kaspersky)
http://www.kaspersky.com/

On 8 Sep 2004 14:16:12 -0700, in
<(E-Mail Removed) >
P_J_G scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Smoker

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Get rid of the Norton virus that you've installed.

Agreed, Norton is the worst virus you will ever pay for.

> KAV (Kaspersky)
> http://www.kaspersky.com/
>

> On 8 Sep 2004 14:16:12 -0700, in
> <(E-Mail Removed) >
> P_J_G scrawled:
>
> >I have recently installed linux on my system and am doing a dual boot
> >with windows xp. The problem is norton anti virus keeps telling me
> >that my bootloader is a virus and tries to repair it (bloodhound.mbr)
> >problem is that the anti virus keeps killing the MBR so that my
> >computer will not boot (although I know how get my computer to boot
> >again), Is there any way of stoping the anti virus damaging my boot
> >record. I don't want to stop bloodhound virus reconition unless I
> >relly have to.
> >
> >thanks in advance.

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

Buffalo

"P_J_G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I have recently installed linux on my system and am doing a dual

boot
> with windows xp. The problem is norton anti virus keeps telling me
> that my bootloader is a virus and tries to repair it

(bloodhound.mbr)
> problem is that the anti virus keeps killing the MBR so that my
> computer will not boot (although I know how get my computer to boot
> again), Is there any way of stoping the anti virus damaging my boot
> record. I don't want to stop bloodhound virus reconition unless I
> relly have to.
>
> thanks in advance.

Hopefully someone will answer your question properly.
Have you tried emailing Symantec?
Try going to the Symantec website and using their FAQs.
It should workable.
Have you tried setting it so that Norton first asks you what to do
(Options) before it does anything?
Hopefully someone who has had the same experience will have the
answer.
PS: Answers like Get rid of Norton really suck
(although it may be reasonable advice).

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Buffalo wrote:

<snip>
> PS: Answers like Get rid of Norton really suck
> (although it may be reasonable advice).

"may be reasonable" but "really suck"? What's wrong with letting someone
who doesn't know better than all the marketing hype that Norton
Antivirus is a piece of ****?

Old Gringo

Rôgêr wrote:
> Buffalo wrote:
>

> <snip>
>
>> PS: Answers like Get rid of Norton really suck
>> (although it may be reasonable advice).

> "may be reasonable" but "really suck"? What's wrong with letting someone
> who doesn't know better than all the marketing hype that Norton
> Antivirus is a piece of ****?

Who does have the best Anti Virus protection program?

--
Old Gringo George
Just West Of Nowhere

roach

"Old Gringo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uTM%c.17994$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Rôgêr wrote:
>> Buffalo wrote:
>>

>> <snip>
>>
>>> PS: Answers like Get rid of Norton really suck
>>> (although it may be reasonable advice).

>> "may be reasonable" but "really suck"? What's wrong with letting someone
>> who doesn't know better than all the marketing hype that Norton
>> Antivirus is a piece of ****?
>>

> Who does have the best Anti Virus protection program?
>
> --

I find mcafees security suite 8 has everything norton has and more
with hardly any resource loss

roach

Zebud

"Old Gringo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uTM%c.17994$(E-Mail Removed) m...

> Who does have the best Anti Virus protection program?

I have found AVG to be a good program have not been infected since
installing it 2 years now.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Old Gringo wrote:

> Who does have the best Anti Virus protection program?

My opinion is eTrust is still top dog, although there's a few things
about the newest version I'm not exactly thrilled with. Kaspersky looks
awfully good too. For a free check up from time to time I really like
Trend Housecall.

°Mike°

Answers like yours suck even more and are,
frankly, laughable. BWAHAHAHA.....etc.

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 22:37:29 GMT, in
<JQL%c.1211$MQ5.1164@attbi_s52>
"Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> scrawled: