Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows XP Home: File Icons

Windows XP Home: File Icons

Paul Mack Cartney

OK, this may sound a little weird:

http://tzone.the-croc.com/sounds/tzone2.wav

We've combed over all kinds of settings, and all kinds of help files, and
run numerous searches and probably overlooked the obvious - so, here's
hoping someone in the newsgroup maybe knows what is happening over here.
Or has a link to a really good Exorcist.

The system is Windows XP Home recently updated with the SP2 file obtained
from the Microsoft website, the 266 MB network installer.

Everything has worked just fine. But one BIG difference that has
happened, and no-one can figure it out, is with these icons.

You know how the ISO files and the QuickSFV files have the nice round big
icons? Not the tiles; but the "View" setting is for "Icons." The ISO's
used to look like little CD's and the SFV's used to look like little
life-savers. There are others, but these are the very good examples.

Now, the icons are all like little rectangles, with the upper right-hand
corner bent over, and they have the same shape icon much smaller in the
center of the "page" styled icon. Ewww! That's really sooooooo Mandrake!

We'd like to get the old style Windows icons back, if possible, mostly
because they were much easier to find in a crowd of icons. You know,
easier to see very quickly.

Is there some setting which is hidden or some trick someone might
remember which could solve this major earth-shattering, life-threatening,
mood-altering, time-warping, mind-bending, head-scratching, catastrophic
event for all concerned?

LOL!

(It seemed important when I started the inquiry.)

In a way it really is, but we'll understand if ya'll have to cure cancer,
upright the economy, solve the ozone leaks, or save some baby seals
first!

Many thanks!

°Mike°

Windows Explorer / Tools / Folder Options / File Types.
Select the file type, select 'Advanced' and 'Change
Icon'.

On 08 Sep 2004 15:07:39 GMT, in
<413f203a$0$31550$(E-Mail Removed)>
Paul Mack Cartney scrawled: