Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > connecting winxp to win95 for internet

connecting winxp to win95 for internet

Toolman Tim

>| I was thinking of networking my new p4 2.4G winxppro computer
>| with my son's old p1 win95 computer in order for him (win95)
>| to get an internet connection from my computer
>| because the lady from the cable company told me that it would be much
>| cheaper this way rather than adding a second internet connection
>| (wall television socket) from the company because I would then have
>| to pay double for both connections to the internet.
>| my question is will this work?
>| what hardware/software will I need to install?
>| and is this home-networking feasible?
>| thank you for your supporting tips!

Sure...just ask Microsoft...
http://support.microsoft.com/default...2Fhnetwork.asp

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

Toolman Tim

>| Sure...just ask Microsoft...

http://support.microsoft.com/default...2Fhnetwork.asp

Oh - you'll have to set up the Win95 networking manually - the XP Home
Network Setup Wizard doesn't run on XP.

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

Scraggy

Toolman Tim wrote:
Snip
the XP Home
> Network Setup Wizard doesn't run on XP.

PBKAC
--
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick
boxing. -- Emo Philips

PC

"Eli Aran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was thinking of networking my new p4 2.4G winxppro computer
> with my son's old p1 win95 computer in order for him (win95)
> to get an internet connection from my computer
> because the lady from the cable company told me that it would be much
> cheaper this way rather than adding a second internet connection (wall
> television socket) from the company because I would then have to pay
> double
> for both connections to the internet.
> my question is will this work?
> what hardware/software will I need to install?
> and is this home-networking feasible?
> thank you for your supporting tips!

Eli

What you want is "Internet Connection Sharing"

The hardware you will need is a Network card in each PC (probably already
one in your XP box) and a 'Crossover' network cable.

Then go Start,'Help and Support on your XP machine and enter 'ICS' into the
search facility and have a good read. You should find all you need there.

Cheers
Paul.

Eli Aran

I was thinking of networking my new p4 2.4G winxppro computer
with my son's old p1 win95 computer in order for him (win95)
to get an internet connection from my computer
because the lady from the cable company told me that it would be much
cheaper this way rather than adding a second internet connection (wall
television socket) from the company because I would then have to pay double
for both connections to the internet.
my question is will this work?
what hardware/software will I need to install?
and is this home-networking feasible?
thank you for your supporting tips!

Eli Aran

thank you very much.
that was very helpful.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >| I was thinking of networking my new p4 2.4G winxppro computer
> >| with my son's old p1 win95 computer in order for him (win95)
> >| to get an internet connection from my computer
> >| because the lady from the cable company told me that it would be much
> >| cheaper this way rather than adding a second internet connection
> >| (wall television socket) from the company because I would then have
> >| to pay double for both connections to the internet.
> >| my question is will this work?
> >| what hardware/software will I need to install?
> >| and is this home-networking feasible?
> >| thank you for your supporting tips!

> Sure...just ask Microsoft...

http://support.microsoft.com/default...2Fhnetwork.asp

> --
> "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where
> THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

Eli Aran

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >| Sure...just ask Microsoft...

http://support.microsoft.com/default...2Fhnetwork.asp

> Oh - you'll have to set up the Win95 networking manually - the XP Home
> Network Setup Wizard doesn't run on XP.
>
> --
> "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where
> THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

how do I set up the Win95 networking manually ?

Eli Aran

"Scraggy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Toolman Tim wrote:
> Snip
> the XP Home
> > Network Setup Wizard doesn't run on XP.

> PBKAC
> --
> A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick
> boxing. -- Emo Philips

what is PBKAC?

samuel

"Eli Aran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:2q1i0dFq2ljmU1@uni-
berlin.de:

> "Scraggy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Toolman Tim wrote:
>> Snip
>> the XP Home
>> > Network Setup Wizard doesn't run on XP.

>> PBKAC
>> --
>> A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick
>> boxing. -- Emo Philips
>>

> what is PBKAC?

http://www.acronymfinder.com/

madmax

Eli Aran wrote:

> I was thinking of networking my new p4 2.4G winxppro computer
> with my son's old p1 win95 computer in order for him (win95)
> to get an internet connection from my computer
> because the lady from the cable company told me that it would be much
> cheaper this way rather than adding a second internet connection (wall
> television socket) from the company because I would then have to pay double
> for both connections to the internet.
> my question is will this work?
> what hardware/software will I need to install?
> and is this home-networking feasible?
> thank you for your supporting tips!

Here is a good place for info
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
-max

--
To help you stay safe see: http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/madmax.html
Change nomail.afraid.org to neo.rr.com so you can reply by e-mail