Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Faulty Power Supply Unit?

Reply
Thread Tools

Faulty Power Supply Unit?

 
 
Emrys Davies
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-04-2004
My daughter has come home on holiday with her 'dead' computer hoping
that I can fix it.

I find that the monitor works perfectly and that there is not any life
whatsoever in the system unit. No LED or fan movement or anything else.
I am using my power lead and it works perfectly on my PC. The power
switches appear to be operating OK on the dead unit.

The computer is an Unika, Model SYS3A00IC Serie: AEF 14899117483 and is
about six years old. It has a King Year Power Supply Unit, Model
KYP-230ATX. No MB manual available.

I have removed the Power Supply Unit with a view to having it tested by
PC World, but I am minded to test the system unit with my PSU and I
would appreciate your views as to the merits of this proposed action. I
am thinking of compatibility re- the two units. My PC is a Pentium 111,
550MHZ CPU.

I would add that the offending unit was badly infested with dust, but I
have removed that as best I can with the proper tools.

Thanks,
Emrys Davies.





 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Toolman Tim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-04-2004
>| My daughter has come home on holiday with her 'dead' computer hoping
>| that I can fix it.
>|
>| I find that the monitor works perfectly and that there is not any
>| life whatsoever in the system unit. No LED or fan movement or
>| anything else. I am using my power lead and it works perfectly on my
>| PC. The power switches appear to be operating OK on the dead unit.
>|
>| The computer is an Unika, Model SYS3A00IC Serie: AEF 14899117483
>| and is about six years old. It has a King Year Power Supply Unit,
>| Model KYP-230ATX. No MB manual available.
>|
>| I have removed the Power Supply Unit with a view to having it tested
>| by PC World, but I am minded to test the system unit with my PSU and
>| I would appreciate your views as to the merits of this proposed
>| action. I am thinking of compatibility re- the two units. My PC is
>| a Pentium 111, 550MHZ CPU.
>|
>| I would add that the offending unit was badly infested with dust,
>| but I have removed that as best I can with the proper tools.
>|
>| Thanks,
>| Emrys Davies.


There are two ways to test a PSU. One is parts substitution, the other is
technical testing of the device. The safest is the technical testing -
voltage meter (DVM). But, many power supplies won't start unless they are
connected to a motherboard.

Part substitution (i.e., putting the unit in a different PC) presents some
risk. If the supply is defective but not totally dead, it could be sending
out incorrect voltages or surges, which would fry any equipment it was
plugged into. And, the other way around, putting a working PSU into a dead
computer, could also present problems. I've only had that happen once. I put
a brand new PSU into a computer that had died. Apparently, something on the
motherboard had gone out so severly that it immediately fried the new PSU.
So, now I was out TWO new power supplies & a motherboard.

So, if I were you, I'd proceed with caution. Considering the rather low cost
of power supplies, I'd risk it - put a WORKING unit into your daughters
computer (don't put HER dead PSU into YOUR computer!) That way, worst case,
you're only out another PSU, not another system.

--
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where
THEY went." ~Will Rogers~


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Emrys Davies
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-04-2004
'Toolman Tim',

You have been most helpful with your well reasoned answer. Consequently,
I have decided that I will have the PSU checked at PC World on the
understanding that if it is faulty we will buy a new one. My daughter
is anxious that I do not risk my PSU in any way.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

"Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >| My daughter has come home on holiday with her 'dead' computer

hoping
> >| that I can fix it.
> >|
> >| I find that the monitor works perfectly and that there is not any
> >| life whatsoever in the system unit. No LED or fan movement or
> >| anything else. I am using my power lead and it works perfectly on

my
> >| PC. The power switches appear to be operating OK on the dead unit.
> >|
> >| The computer is an Unika, Model SYS3A00IC Serie: AEF 14899117483
> >| and is about six years old. It has a King Year Power Supply Unit,
> >| Model KYP-230ATX. No MB manual available.
> >|
> >| I have removed the Power Supply Unit with a view to having it

tested
> >| by PC World, but I am minded to test the system unit with my PSU

and
> >| I would appreciate your views as to the merits of this proposed
> >| action. I am thinking of compatibility re- the two units. My PC

is
> >| a Pentium 111, 550MHZ CPU.
> >|
> >| I would add that the offending unit was badly infested with dust,
> >| but I have removed that as best I can with the proper tools.
> >|
> >| Thanks,
> >| Emrys Davies.

>
> There are two ways to test a PSU. One is parts substitution, the other

is
> technical testing of the device. The safest is the technical testing -
> voltage meter (DVM). But, many power supplies won't start unless they

are
> connected to a motherboard.
>
> Part substitution (i.e., putting the unit in a different PC) presents

some
> risk. If the supply is defective but not totally dead, it could be

sending
> out incorrect voltages or surges, which would fry any equipment it was


> plugged into. And, the other way around, putting a working PSU into a

dead
> computer, could also present problems. I've only had that happen once.

I put
> a brand new PSU into a computer that had died. Apparently, something

on the
> motherboard had gone out so severly that it immediately fried the new

PSU.
> So, now I was out TWO new power supplies & a motherboard.
>
> So, if I were you, I'd proceed with caution. Considering the rather

low cost
> of power supplies, I'd risk it - put a WORKING unit into your

daughters
> computer (don't put HER dead PSU into YOUR computer!) That way, worst

case,
> you're only out another PSU, not another system.
>
> --
> "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where
> THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Toolman Tim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-05-2004

>| 'Toolman Tim',
>|
>| You have been most helpful with your well reasoned answer.
>| Consequently, I have decided that I will have the PSU checked at PC
>| World on the understanding that if it is faulty we will buy a new
>| one. My daughter is anxious that I do not risk my PSU in any way.
>|
>| Thanks a lot.
>|
>| Regards,
>| Emrys Davies.



You're welcome. (Fortunately the one I had that was defective was at work,
so they bought the new motherboard and PSUs, not me <g>!)


 
Reply With Quote
 
Trai' La' Trash
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-05-2004
Toolman Tim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> My daughter has come home on holiday with her 'dead' computer hoping
>>> that I can fix it.
>>>
>>> I find that the monitor works perfectly and that there is not any
>>> life whatsoever in the system unit. No LED or fan movement or
>>> anything else. I am using my power lead and it works perfectly on my
>>> PC. The power switches appear to be operating OK on the dead unit.
>>>
>>> The computer is an Unika, Model SYS3A00IC Serie: AEF 14899117483
>>> and is about six years old. It has a King Year Power Supply Unit,
>>> Model KYP-230ATX. No MB manual available.
>>>
>>> I have removed the Power Supply Unit with a view to having it tested
>>> by PC World, but I am minded to test the system unit with my PSU and
>>> I would appreciate your views as to the merits of this proposed
>>> action. I am thinking of compatibility re- the two units. My PC is
>>> a Pentium 111, 550MHZ CPU.
>>>
>>> I would add that the offending unit was badly infested with dust,
>>> but I have removed that as best I can with the proper tools.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Emrys Davies.

>
> There are two ways to test a PSU. One is parts substitution, the
> other is technical testing of the device. The safest is the technical
> testing - voltage meter (DVM). But, many power supplies won't start
> unless they are connected to a motherboard.
>
> Part substitution (i.e., putting the unit in a different PC) presents
> some risk. If the supply is defective but not totally dead, it could
> be sending out incorrect voltages or surges, which would fry any
> equipment it was plugged into. And, the other way around, putting a
> working PSU into a dead computer, could also present problems. I've
> only had that happen once. I put a brand new PSU into a computer that
> had died. Apparently, something on the motherboard had gone out so
> severly that it immediately fried the new PSU. So, now I was out TWO
> new power supplies & a motherboard.
>
> So, if I were you, I'd proceed with caution. Considering the rather
> low cost of power supplies, I'd risk it - put a WORKING unit into
> your daughters computer (don't put HER dead PSU into YOUR computer!)
> That way, worst case, you're only out another PSU, not another system.


Why not use a psu tester? I bought one and it has paid for itself 10 times
over! (Ok actually I got it free from a supplier but I'm sure I paid for it
somehow)
Tonight I was building a new pc and the psu in the new case was DOA and it
took 1 minute to figure out what was going on.

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...262&pfp=SEARCH


http://www.dansdata.com/quickshot018.htm

http://www.monster-hardware.com/modu...wcontent&id=96


 
Reply With Quote
 
norfolk.in.chance
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-05-2004
I would think that PC World would probably charge more for testing a PSU
than buying a new one.

"Emrys Davies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My daughter has come home on holiday with her 'dead' computer hoping
> that I can fix it.
>
> I find that the monitor works perfectly and that there is not any life
> whatsoever in the system unit. No LED or fan movement or anything else.
> I am using my power lead and it works perfectly on my PC. The power
> switches appear to be operating OK on the dead unit.
>
> The computer is an Unika, Model SYS3A00IC Serie: AEF 14899117483 and is
> about six years old. It has a King Year Power Supply Unit, Model
> KYP-230ATX. No MB manual available.
>
> I have removed the Power Supply Unit with a view to having it tested by
> PC World, but I am minded to test the system unit with my PSU and I
> would appreciate your views as to the merits of this proposed action. I
> am thinking of compatibility re- the two units. My PC is a Pentium 111,
> 550MHZ CPU.
>
> I would add that the offending unit was badly infested with dust, but I
> have removed that as best I can with the proper tools.
>
> Thanks,
> Emrys Davies.
>
>
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Emrys Davies
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-05-2004
No. They did not charge anything. They tested it on the understanding
that if it proved to be faulty I would probably buy a new one. It was
'dead' and they showed me a new one (300 watts) which costs 27.00, but
I decided not to purchase because my daughter is trying to make her mind
up as to whether to buy a new computer.

Will probably shop around and get a new PSU tomorrow and see whether it
breathes life into her system unit. If all fails I will keep the PSU as
a possible replacement for mine, which is five years old.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.






"norfolk.in.chance" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%IC_c.134$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I would think that PC World would probably charge more for testing a

PSU
> than buying a new one.
>
> "Emrys Davies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My daughter has come home on holiday with her 'dead' computer hoping
> > that I can fix it.
> >
> > I find that the monitor works perfectly and that there is not any

life
> > whatsoever in the system unit. No LED or fan movement or anything

else.
> > I am using my power lead and it works perfectly on my PC. The power
> > switches appear to be operating OK on the dead unit.
> >
> > The computer is an Unika, Model SYS3A00IC Serie: AEF 14899117483

and is
> > about six years old. It has a King Year Power Supply Unit, Model
> > KYP-230ATX. No MB manual available.
> >
> > I have removed the Power Supply Unit with a view to having it tested

by
> > PC World, but I am minded to test the system unit with my PSU and I
> > would appreciate your views as to the merits of this proposed

action. I
> > am thinking of compatibility re- the two units. My PC is a Pentium

111,
> > 550MHZ CPU.
> >
> > I would add that the offending unit was badly infested with dust,

but I
> > have removed that as best I can with the proper tools.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Emrys Davies.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Dan Evans
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-05-2004

"Emrys Davies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have removed the Power Supply Unit with a view to having it tested by
> PC World, but I am minded to test the system unit with my PSU and I
> would appreciate your views as to the merits of this proposed action.


It takes less than 5 minutes, so what's the harm in trying?

Dan





.................................................. ...............
Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
>>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<

-=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Faulty Camera or Faulty Photographer? Graham Fountain Digital Photography 40 09-21-2006 04:55 AM
PLATFORM_ENV 1 PWR Faulty internal power supply detected k86698@yahoo.com Cisco 3 09-18-2006 03:08 AM
HEC Ace Power 580UB 580Watt power supply Silverstrand Front Page News 0 07-23-2005 03:04 PM
RCA 030 Camera Power supply RCA CPS02 Power Supply nick Digital Photography 0 01-22-2004 10:27 PM
Faulty disk or faulty player? Gavin23601 DVD Video 4 10-22-2003 04:13 AM



Advertisments