Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How do I get taskbar back?

How do I get taskbar back?

Henrik

I was experimenting around and I think I deselected "always show taskbar on
top." Well, now its gone and I cannot see how to get it back. I cannot find
the START button and I cannot right-click where the taskbar used to be in
order to "reselect" it back on top.

I know this is probably a very simple fix, but for now it is eluding me. Any
ideas?

BTW, I have WinXP Home.

Thanks!

Pennywise

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 19:30:07 -0700, "Henrik" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

|>I was experimenting around and I think I deselected "always show taskbar on
|>top." Well, now its gone and I cannot see how to get it back. I cannot find
|>the START button and I cannot right-click where the taskbar used to be in
|>order to "reselect" it back on top.
|>
|>I know this is probably a very simple fix, but for now it is eluding me. Any
|>ideas?

Run Taskmgr

Pennywise

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 20:13:32 -0700, Pennywise <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

|>Run Taskmgr

Darn I gotta read these things better.

Taskbar not taskmanager got it.

This was addressed earlier, No fix as of yet, reboot.

Henrik

"Pennywise" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 20:13:32 -0700, Pennywise <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

taskbar on

find

in

me. Any

> |>Run Taskmgr
>
> Darn I gotta read these things better.
>
> Taskbar not taskmanager got it.
>
> This was addressed earlier, No fix as of yet, reboot.

I have rebooted and it doesn't fix the problem. I still do not have the
taskbar.

Pennywise

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 20:27:26 -0700, "Henrik" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

|>"Pennywise" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
|>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

|>taskbar on
|>find
|>in

|>me. Any

|>> Darn I gotta read these things better.
|>>
|>> Taskbar not taskmanager got it.
|>>
|>> This was addressed earlier, No fix as of yet, reboot.
|>
|>I have rebooted and it doesn't fix the problem. I still do not have the
|>taskbar.

Still didn't understand did I

Take you mouse and go to the bottom of the screen (or where ever your
bar is suppose to be) When it turns into an arrow left click and drag
it back into place.

Henrik

"Pennywise" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 20:27:26 -0700, "Henrik" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> |>"Pennywise" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> |>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> |>taskbar on

cannot
> |>find

to be
> |>in

eluding
> |>me. Any

> |>I have rebooted and it doesn't fix the problem. I still do not have the
> |>taskbar.
> |>

> Still didn't understand did I
>
> Take you mouse and go to the bottom of the screen (or where ever your
> bar is suppose to be) When it turns into an arrow left click and drag
> it back into place.

It doesn't turn into the arrow to allow me to do so. It is as if nothing is
there. It is completely gone. But, if I right-click in the space where it
used to be then it doesn't even give me my option menu. It is acting as if
the whole area is dead.

Pennywise

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 20:50:03 -0700, "Henrik" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

|>> Take you mouse and go to the bottom of the screen (or where ever your
|>> bar is suppose to be) When it turns into an arrow left click and drag
|>> it back into place.
|>
|>It doesn't turn into the arrow to allow me to do so. It is as if nothing is
|>there. It is completely gone. But, if I right-click in the space where it
|>used to be then it doesn't even give me my option menu. It is acting as if
|>the whole area is dead.

Ahh.. shoot.

Try this: press your Win key (it's got a flag on it) this will drop
down/up the menu.
settings > taskbar and start menu
see if it's locked, unlock it and see if that works.

You might also have your bar elsewhere with your mouse check all four
sides of you monitor and look for that arrow.

After that I'm out of suggestions and I've had my fair share...

SonoranDude

I'm not a rocket scientist but have you tried pressing the Windows Key on
your keyboard?
If your task bar is still around or hidden off the screen that should shoot
your start menu out into the open. The Windows key is the little flag icon
between your Ctrl and Alt key near the space bar. Once you know where it
disappeared to you can try and grab it and pull it back up

"Henrik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Pennywise" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> cannot

> to be

> eluding

the

> > Still didn't understand did I
> >
> > Take you mouse and go to the bottom of the screen (or where ever your
> > bar is suppose to be) When it turns into an arrow left click and drag
> > it back into place.

> It doesn't turn into the arrow to allow me to do so. It is as if nothing

is
> there. It is completely gone. But, if I right-click in the space where it
> used to be then it doesn't even give me my option menu. It is acting as if
> the whole area is dead.

Stevo

Henrik wrote:
> I was experimenting around and I think I deselected "always show
> taskbar on top." Well, now its gone and I cannot see how to get it
> back. I cannot find the START button and I cannot right-click where
> the taskbar used to be in order to "reselect" it back on top.
>
> I know this is probably a very simple fix, but for now it is eluding
> me. Any ideas?
>
> BTW, I have WinXP Home.
>
> Thanks!

If you have a 'Windows' button on your keyboard, use that to activate the
start menu, then go to Settings | Control Panel and you can access the Start
Menu/Taskbar stuff there..

--
Stevo
(pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

Henrik

"SonoranDude" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm not a rocket scientist but have you tried pressing the Windows Key on
> your keyboard?
> If your task bar is still around or hidden off the screen that should

shoot
> your start menu out into the open. The Windows key is the little flag icon
> between your Ctrl and Alt key near the space bar. Once you know where it
> disappeared to you can try and grab it and pull it back up

Yes, I know about the Windows key and I tried that as one of my first
options. It does absolutely nothing. I am fairly savvy with computers, but
this one has me perplexed.