Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > USB2 or Firewire?

Reply
Thread Tools

USB2 or Firewire?

 
 
Bob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2004
Just got a new external drive which gives the option of using USB2 or
Firewire. My comp has both so which would be the best choice?

Thanks

Bob


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ingeborg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2004
"Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:41386646$0$20253$cc9e4d1f@news-
text.dial.pipex.com:

> Just got a new external drive which gives the option of using USB2 or
> Firewire. My comp has both so which would be the best choice?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bob
>
>
>


Firewire. It will have a lower processor load while accessing the disk.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2004

"Ingeborg" <-> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:41386646$0$20253$cc9e4d1f@news-
> text.dial.pipex.com:
>
> > Just got a new external drive which gives the option of using USB2 or
> > Firewire. My comp has both so which would be the best choice?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Bob
> >
> >
> >

>
> Firewire. It will have a lower processor load while accessing the disk.


Firewall it is, thanks for that.

Bob


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jerry G.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2004
The firewire is the fastest, and least loading on the system resources!

--

Jerry G.
==========================


"Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41386646$0$20253$(E-Mail Removed)...
Just got a new external drive which gives the option of using USB2 or
Firewire. My comp has both so which would be the best choice?

Thanks

Bob



 
Reply With Quote
 
Silent Bob.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2004
actually usb2 is 440 mb from memory while 1394 is 400, but you are right,
the latency is better and overall id stick with firewire.



"Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The firewire is the fastest, and least loading on the system resources!
>
> --
>
> Jerry G.
> ==========================
>
>
> "Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:41386646$0$20253$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just got a new external drive which gives the option of using USB2 or
> Firewire. My comp has both so which would be the best choice?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bob
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Jim Berwick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2004
"Silent Bob." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:7Q%Zc.18287$D7.6548@news-
server.bigpond.net.au:

> actually usb2 is 440 mb from memory while 1394 is 400, but you are right,
> the latency is better and overall id stick with firewire.
>


USB2 is 480mbit/sec, firewire-400 is 400mbit, but requires much less CPU
usage.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Edward W. Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-04-2004
On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 13:40:50 +0100, "Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Just got a new external drive which gives the option of using USB2 or
>Firewire. My comp has both so which would be the best choice?
>
>Thanks
>
>Bob
>

In practical terms it maskes no difference whatsoever.
 
Reply With Quote
 
DevilsPGD
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-04-2004
In message <(E-Mail Removed)> Edward W.
Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>Just got a new external drive which gives the option of using USB2 or
>>Firewire. My comp has both so which would be the best choice?
>>

>
>In practical terms it maskes no difference whatsoever.


Sure it makes a difference. The connectors are shaped differently, so
use whichever cable you have handy, or whichever port you have free.




--
Men are from Earth. Women are from Earth. Deal with it.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Cheryl
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-04-2004
When I used my new usb2 firewire in Ghost I configured it for both, as it is
both and it worked, do not clone it do ghost image to file( only I am dumb)
Cheryl
"DevilsPGD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:t2e_c.723471$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)> Edward W.
> Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >>Just got a new external drive which gives the option of using USB2 or
> >>Firewire. My comp has both so which would be the best choice?
> >>

> >
> >In practical terms it maskes no difference whatsoever.

>
> Sure it makes a difference. The connectors are shaped differently, so
> use whichever cable you have handy, or whichever port you have free.
>
>
>
>
> --
> Men are from Earth. Women are from Earth. Deal with it.



 
Reply With Quote
 
DevilsPGD
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-04-2004
In message <(E-Mail Removed)> "Cheryl" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>When I used my new usb2 firewire in Ghost I configured it for both, as it is
>both and it worked, do not clone it do ghost image to file( only I am dumb)


Hmm, that's actually an interesting point -- Some BIOSes might not
support booting from USB2 and/or FireWire, and ghost might not either --
So depending on what you're doing it might matter.

However, if you're just accessing the drive from Windows as a drive
letter (extra storage, portable storage, whatever) then either would
work.


--
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vantec NexStar GX USB2.0 Hub & HDD Enclosure Review Silverstrand Front Page News 0 11-24-2005 04:02 PM
OCZ Rally High Performance USB2 (Dual Channel) Flash Memory Silverstrand Front Page News 0 09-20-2005 03:35 AM
Vantec Portable USB2 Docking Station Video Review #599: Silverstrand Front Page News 0 09-15-2005 02:59 AM
Vantec NexStar 3 USB2.0 HDD Enclosure Review Silverstrand Front Page News 0 08-31-2005 10:11 PM
Wireless usb2 adapter PhotoDan Wireless Networking 3 07-31-2005 05:39 PM



Advertisments