Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > What programming language

What programming language

Daniel O'Connell [C# MVP]

"Jared" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Thanks to all for your responses.
>
> One last question regarding .Net. What are the chances that MS would
> through in a curve ball and start charging the developers a distro fee
> for running there program on the .NET framework? This would obviously
> hugely degrade the desirability to both the developer and the end
> user.

I'd say between unlikely and non-existant. It do anyone any good.

Leon Mayne [MVP]

Jared wrote:
> What technology would be a good fit with my background and experience
> that would enable me to make a go at trying to go on my own?

Depends what the end product and the client base will be:

1) Windows-only desktop apps for any company type:
Stick with .NET. You can just have them installed on the users machines and
run without having to worry about JDK / JVM versions etc.

2) Platform independent desktop apps for any company type:
Java

3) Web applications for large corporations:
Ask what they support first, as they will either have a Windows setup or,
most likely a Java (e.g. Tomcat) setup, so either .NET or Servlets / JSP.

4) Web applications for small companies / single people
PHP / Perl, because they will probably be hosting their site on a cheap
commercial shared server running Linux with something like cPanel.

In the end, I think the answer is to not limit yourself to one technology.
Learn the important ones which will cover you for any eventuality (Any .NET
language, Java & Perl will cover you for most situations).

Jared

This is an excellent point. I think you are right. The key is to know
the most powerful and popular technologies well. I've decided to go
with C#.Net and a Java mix depending on my client base. This will give
me a large market share and RAD abilities.

Thanks to all for your input.

Mahesh Devjibhai Dhola

Jared,
1. Forget VB6.0 if you want to enter in the world of OOP. You have worked
with non OOP and OOP languages so you may know this exactly.
2. If you like to work with Microsoft products then i will suggest to choose
..Net rather than VB. The reason you might know.
3. .Net has rich API like in Java. Both of these platforms are for the same
purpose. But if you want to develop Platform independent application then go
for Java. Java is rich by APIs and also you will get now Eclipse (opensource
platform) free which gives RAD like VS.Net with debugging and each kind of
facitilty so you can develop faster console app to J2EE apps using Eclipse
(cost: ITS FREE).
And if you want to develop an application that supports multiple languages
like VB.Net, C#, J#, COBOL.NET etc... then go for .Net...
Performance wise,
..Net and Java, both has some of its pros and cons.
But i found that Resources required to start up of the application is more
consumed by Java compared to .Net but as well running time resources
consumed by Java is less than .Net base app. (But for .Net you have to pay a
lot compare to Java)

I hope, this answer satisfy you.
If anything perticular, Please ask...

Regards,
Mahesh Devjibhai Dhola
"Empower yourself...."

"Jared" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> This is going to seem like a generic question that has been posed 1001
> times and is probably very subjective, but I need some real world
> answers, rather than textbook answers.
>
> Let me give my background in 2-3 sentences:
> 1. I am a developer who has been programming for about 3 years and
> have done the following:
> - Java (1 year experience)
> - Visual Basic 6 (Done quite a few in house utility and add on
> programs)
> - 4th Dimension (1 1/2 years worth of work doing client server
> programming)
> - ASP (not ASP.NET) using vbscript and MYSQL
> I currently work for a company doing advanced 4D programming and am
> quite good at it.
> 2. I own Visual Studio 6.0 PRO, Visual Studio .NET 2003 Ent. and
> JBuilder 6
> I have done my homework on the "advantages" to all approaches, but I
> want the real world answer....AND HERE IS MY QUESTION:
>
> What technology would be a good fit with my background and experience
> that would enable me to make a go at trying to go on my own? I need
> something that is going to be RAD, but still be efficient and
> professional looking (not Java), while not cositng me a bunch of money
> to get started. I would also like to note that the only .NET apps that
> I've seen seemed slow and bloated like a Java app compared to a
> compiled VB 6 or VC++ app.
>
> Thanks in advance for your responses.
>
> Jared

=?Utf-8?B?bWVsYWphcmEgKG1lbGFqYXJhQGhvdG1haWwuY29tKQ==?=

Hello Jared,

Did you have a look at the latest Eclipse V3 Framework, coupled with their
visual studio designer?

Main advantages are:
Free and extensible IDE, of BEST quality (Erich Gamma and Kent Beck are
behind and IBM is paying

Competitive GUI designer based on Eclipse plugins , e.g. besides the
Instantiations WindowBuilder(commercial) you have now the Eclipse Visual
Designer project (free), this provides for healthy competition.
If you are concerned by the (relative) unresponsiveness of the Swing GUI,
have a look to the SWT widgets. Eclipse itself is written with SWT and its by
no way slow. Now consider that well written Java app are quite fast. Did you
have a look to JEdit (a GPL programming Editor) ?

And regarding startup time, this was a main concern addressed now by Java SE
5.

Hope that's help

Regards,

Mel ((E-Mail Removed))

"Jared" wrote:

> I don't want to make this a .NET or MS vs Java question. I am simply
> after a cost effective solution to go with when starting my own
> business. I found Java to be very clunky in the interface. I really
> enjoyed my year programming in Java, but hated writing Interface code.
> Besides my limited experience, which it seems that I would need a lot
> more of to create a competitive app, I have never yet seen a Java app
> that flows nicely. If this is possible and you don't want to turn this
> into a big and unneccessary debate please feel free to email me and
> give me some suggestions.
>
> To everyone else that reads this post and is replying, please remember
> that this post is intended to help me and others like me understand
> what technology has worked for the small or single person business out
> there.
>
> Thanks again for everyones response so far.

Jared

"Mahesh Devjibhai Dhola" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
[.......]
> Performance wise,
> .Net and Java, both has some of its pros and cons.
> But i found that Resources required to start up of the application is more
> consumed by Java compared to .Net but as well running time resources
> consumed by Java is less than .Net base app. (But for .Net you have to pay a
> lot compare to Java)
>
> I hope, this answer satisfy you.
> If anything perticular, Please ask...
>
> Regards,
> Mahesh Devjibhai Dhola
> "Empower yourself...."

Thanks Mahesh,

Sorry, but could you elaborate on the performance differences that you
have found between .NET and Java. I am interested in both. What I
understand from what you've said is the initial start up is slowerin
Java, but overall performance is better post startup??????

Thanks!

OpenBSD_Inquiry@yahoo.com

I am not a developer but have done a some small development work on my
own...hacking together Perl and Linux shell commands to solve a few
Linux problems. I even have one small app online...not the full
application but you can see what I have beewn involved in. Follow the
URL below if you are interested.

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/showflash/index.html

I want to move up the system administrative path to a systems
engineering position within the administrative path. I should have
one or more scripting languages under my belt. Although the following
link speaks with regard to Unix/Linux administration you of course
know that to become a more capable admin a development language is
necessary.

http://www.sage.org/pubs/8_jobs/core.mm

I need to know what language to use in the Microsoft programming
domain for system administration. Would I use, C, C++, C#, .Net,...?
Which .Net...what books, etc.

I say Microsoft because I am now trying to use system administrative
tools on the Microsoft platform and being able to administrate, push
out security and better understand what a secure Microsoft system
entails the better defined language for that problem I would think
whould be a Microsoft language.

The sytems may or may not be in a domain, hence they may or may not
have Domain Controllers through which policy is implemented but I
would like to use the shell tools and applications that are included
in the Microsoft Server 2003 and XP Pro systems.

Thanks

William Main

You could check out the scripting section on MSDN.COM and TECHNET.COM. There
are lots of really good ADMIN scripts there and some tutorials.

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...