Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > What is the best product to Clean Toilet bowl ring from Hard Water Stain?

What is the best product to Clean Toilet bowl ring from Hard Water Stain?

DevilsPGD

In message <(E-Mail Removed)> Unk
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Chlorine gas (Cl2) (cl2)
>A yellowish green gas with an unpleasant and irritating smell.
>Attacks the eyes and mucous membranes.
>Contact with the skin causes severe burns.
>Causes fatal lung damage.
>Considered a weapon of mass distruction.

So what's the problem?

--
Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.

BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ

Arawak wrote:

> What is the best product to Clean Toilet bowl ring from Hard Water
> Stain?
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
> Arawak

(Invest the $1500 in a water softening system - it'll save LOTS of
headaches in the future.)

Two systems seem to work REALLY well:
1) CLR / Lime Away - roughly the same product overall. Check to see if
it would be bad for your type of plumbing.
2) Good old fashioned White Vinegar! Just pour a bunch into the holding
tank while it's filling with regular water. Don;t use it again for about
1/2 hr.. then when you do, just flush once... About 30 mins after that
you should be able to simply brush the stains / build up away. (It may
take a few times, but vinegar is cheap.)
BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
(BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

knowsomething knowsomething is offline
Junior Member

Several people have commented about mixing hydrochloric acid and bleach. OMG!! This
will cause a gas that can be inhaled and is very toxic. Please for god sake do not do this.
Hydrochloric acid by itself will work but it also exudes a toxic gas which will cause etching on almost all products. Adding chlorine only increase the toxicity. If hydrochloric acid is diluted down to 10% or less you will reduce etching on concrete, metals or porcelain. The safest product to use is hydrogen peroxide. If the standard 3% available at most stores is not strong enough you can get up to 33% on the internet. Please dilute down to at least 10%. And wear gloves so you do not burn your hands!! Specific products sold at the store will work but they are so diluted that it will either take forever or will not fully do the job.