Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Maxtor SATA hard drive

Maxtor SATA hard drive

Rubix

I've just purchased a new Maxtor 160 GB drive and used Maxblast 3 to
created 3 partitions (no formatting was done at that point). I
installed the OS obviously on the first partition formatting it first.
However after installing the OS I noticed the other two partitions
created D: and E: did not require formatting prior to placing files in
either of the extended partitions. In the past with brand new HD's
I've always formatted the partition before placing files and folders
in them. Does the drive not require formatting before first use?

Rubix

Dean C

Of course the boot partition needs to be formatted to allow first use
however it's not a mandatory requirement to format the non-boot partitions.
You can either format these other partitions when you format the boot
partition initially, or do it afterwards from within the OS itself (eg.
using the disk management tool from within WinXP). In your case it seems the
non-boot partitions must have been formatted sometime otherwise you would
not have been able to copy any files to them. Suspect Maxblast 3 has done
the formatting already.

"Rubix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've just purchased a new Maxtor 160 GB drive and used Maxblast 3 to
> created 3 partitions (no formatting was done at that point). I
> installed the OS obviously on the first partition formatting it first.
> However after installing the OS I noticed the other two partitions
> created D: and E: did not require formatting prior to placing files in
> either of the extended partitions. In the past with brand new HD's
> I've always formatted the partition before placing files and folders
> in them. Does the drive not require formatting before first use?
>
> Rubix

Adam

Cant help that much Rubix ,but suffice to say that I have just bough the
exact same HD but didn't bother to partion it. Win XP Pro needed to format
the entire drive before I could proceed with loading the OS.

Adam

"Rubix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've just purchased a new Maxtor 160 GB drive and used Maxblast 3 to
> created 3 partitions (no formatting was done at that point). I
> installed the OS obviously on the first partition formatting it first.
> However after installing the OS I noticed the other two partitions
> created D: and E: did not require formatting prior to placing files in
> either of the extended partitions. In the past with brand new HD's
> I've always formatted the partition before placing files and folders
> in them. Does the drive not require formatting before first use?
>
> Rubix

Rubix

All Maxblast 3 did was create the 3 partitions. It took maybe 15
seconds. Only the first partition 25 GB was formatted prior to OS
install.

Strange.

Rubix

DevilsPGD

In message <(E-Mail Removed)> Rubix
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>All Maxblast 3 did was create the 3 partitions. It took maybe 15
>seconds. Only the first partition 25 GB was formatted prior to OS
>install.
>
>Strange.

There is no requirement for a format to take more then a couple seconds.
All that is really needed is to write the file structure to the
beginning of the disk.

The typical delay is for the format program to read the entire disk to
see if any CRC errors occur, and if so mark those sectors and unusable,
but it's an optional part of the process.

--
You're not as stupid as you look, or sound, or our best testing indicates.

Plato

Rubix wrote:

> I've just purchased a new Maxtor 160 GB drive and used Maxblast 3 to
> created 3 partitions (no formatting was done at that point). I
> installed the OS obviously on the first partition formatting it first.
> However after installing the OS I noticed the other two partitions
> created D: and E: did not require formatting prior to placing files in
> either of the extended partitions. In the past with brand new HD's
> I've always formatted the partition before placing files and folders
> in them. Does the drive not require formatting before first use?

Yes hard drive partitions require formatting before they can accomodate
files. Maxblast did this for you automagically it seems since you are
writing to the logical drives in the extended partition.