Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > home networking problem

home networking problem

Smith

I have 2 network cards, and one of them is used to connect to the
internet. As soon as I so much as enable the other LAN connection, the
internet connection immediately stops working.

What's going on here? thanks.

127.0.0.1

"Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have 2 network cards, and one of them is used to connect to the
> internet. As soon as I so much as enable the other LAN connection, the
> internet connection immediately stops working.
>
> What's going on here? thanks.

make sure the other nic doesn't have the same IP as the primary.

-a|ex

Smith

>>I have 2 network cards, and one of them is used to connect to the
>>internet. As soon as I so much as enable the other LAN connection, the
>>internet connection immediately stops working.
>>
>>What's going on here? thanks.

> make sure the other nic doesn't have the same IP as the primary.

It doesn't.

Dave Stanton

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 12:52:15 +1000, Smith wrote:

> I have 2 network cards, and one of them is used to connect to the
> internet. As soon as I so much as enable the other LAN connection, the
> internet connection immediately stops working.
>
> What's going on here? thanks.

Firewall blocking local lan ?

Dave

Jimmy Dean

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 12:52:15 +1000, Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have 2 network cards, and one of them is used to connect to the
>internet. As soon as I so much as enable the other LAN connection, the
>internet connection immediately stops working.
>
>What's going on here? thanks.

Probably help if you give more detail.

What OS?

What NICs?

What IPs?

You're using DSL?

jd

Smith

Dave Stanton wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 12:52:15 +1000, Smith wrote:
>

>>I have 2 network cards, and one of them is used to connect to the
>>internet. As soon as I so much as enable the other LAN connection, the
>>internet connection immediately stops working.
>>
>>What's going on here? thanks.

> Firewall blocking local lan ?

Both connections work, but only separately, not at the same time. All
firewalls switched off.

Phil Thompson

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 20:24:35 +1000, Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Both connections work, but only separately, not at the same time. All
>firewalls switched off.

Operating system ?
IP addresses (ipconfig /all from a cmd prompt in the Run box of start
if its windows XP) ?
fixed addresses or DHCP allocated, if so by what ?
outline of LAN structure - what is the internet connectivity etc ?

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !

Bernard Peek

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>I have 2 network cards, and one of them is used to connect to the
>internet. As soon as I so much as enable the other LAN connection, the
>internet connection immediately stops working.
>
>What's going on here? thanks.

What Operating System are you using?

--
Bernard Peek

Smith

I've given up trying to network XP. Even when the network did work, it
was slow and often crashed.

I never had any problems networking with win98.

Duane Arnold

Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I've given up trying to network XP. Even when the network did work, it
> was slow and often crashed.
>
> I never had any problems networking with win98.

I have never had a problem networking XP. The one thing you don't want to
do is use the Wizard and you should use the classic method of setting up
the XP machine to share files. I use wireless B on the XP laptop on the
network with sharing resources and it clips along very well with sharing.
And even with a Win 2K machine and now a Linux machine on the network, XP
has no problems in sharing resources with any of them and nothing is
crashing.

Duane