Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > strange things are happening

strange things are happening

baglady

My computer runs normally...for a while...and then when I click on any icon
on the desktop the shortcuts seem dead and do not open the program, any
program, as per usual. What is going on? I am forced to reboot the computer
which fixes this for a while until it happens again and I have to reboot
again. Any ideas? Thanks.

philo

"baglady" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My computer runs normally...for a while...and then when I click on any

icon
> on the desktop the shortcuts seem dead and do not open the program, any
> program, as per usual. What is going on? I am forced to reboot the

computer
> which fixes this for a while until it happens again and I have to reboot
> again. Any ideas? Thanks.

could be a lot of things
but the first thing to do is a full virus scan with a *recently* updated
virus checker

baglady

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "baglady" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My computer runs normally...for a while...and then when I click on any

> icon
> > on the desktop the shortcuts seem dead and do not open the program, any
> > program, as per usual. What is going on? I am forced to reboot the

> computer
> > which fixes this for a while until it happens again and I have to reboot
> > again. Any ideas? Thanks.
> >

> could be a lot of things
> but the first thing to do is a full virus scan with a *recently* updated
> virus checker

Thanks, Yes I have just done that and it was ok. what else could it be?

Ingeborg

"baglady" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:41305c75$(E-Mail Removed):

> "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "baglady" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > My computer runs normally...for a while...and then when I click on
>> > any

>> icon
>> > on the desktop the shortcuts seem dead and do not open the program,
>> > any program, as per usual. What is going on? I am forced to reboot
>> > the

>> computer
>> > which fixes this for a while until it happens again and I have to
>> > reboot again. Any ideas? Thanks.
>> >

>> could be a lot of things
>> but the first thing to do is a full virus scan with a *recently*
>> updated virus checker

> Thanks, Yes I have just done that and it was ok. what else could it
> be?

Try adaware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware
and/or spybot
http://www.safer-networking.org

Ionizer

"baglady" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41305c75$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > could be a lot of things
> > but the first thing to do is a full virus scan with a *recently*

updated
> > virus checker

> Thanks, Yes I have just done that and it was ok. what else could it be?

If the adware/spyware scans Ingeborg mentioned don't turn anything up,
consider running the PC Pitstop full test at http://www.pcpitstop.com
It's a harmless battery of tests which make no adjustments to your system,
and it will offer recommendations when it finds problems. It will provide
a list of everything running on your system and identify whether those
items are necessary, optonal or even malicious.

If you create a free account there, you will be able to send a link to
your test results to others- and you could post it here if you like.

I just ran the test on my system prior to posting this. It takes just a
few minutes to complete.

Regards,
Ian.

°Mike°

Have you tried another/new mouse? How about
checking for sticky keys on the keyboard?

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 10:38:57 +0100, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
baglady scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

gangle7

sum kinda wite sticky goop is
all over my keebored thank
in advanse

"°Mike°" wrote
> Have you tried another/new mouse? How about
> checking for sticky keys on the keyboard?

°Mike°

Soak your head, I mean your keyboard in this:
http://www.officedepot.com/pictures/...7686_sk_md.jpg

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 08:15:31 -0700, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
gangle7 scrawled:

>sum kinda wite sticky goop is
> all over my keebored thank
> in advanse
>

>"°Mike°" wrote
>> Have you tried another/new mouse? How about
>> checking for sticky keys on the keyboard?

OldKenGoat

ROTFLMAO!! That made my day, Mike!
OldKenGoat

PS - In addition to all the other suggestions for baglady, I suspect a good
reg cleaning wouldn't hurt.

°Mike° wrote:
> Soak your head, I mean your keyboard in this:
> http://www.officedepot.com/pictures/...7686_sk_md.jpg
>

> On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 08:15:31 -0700, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> gangle7 scrawled:
>
>> sum kinda wite sticky goop is
>> all over my keebored thank
>> in advanse
>>

>> "°Mike°" wrote
>>> Have you tried another/new mouse? How about
>>> checking for sticky keys on the keyboard?

°Mike°

Yes, a registry cleanup would not hurt at all, and
could very well help.

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 10:41:58 -0700, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
OldKenGoat scrawled:

<snip>

>PS - In addition to all the other suggestions for baglady, I suspect a good
>reg cleaning wouldn't hurt.

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance