Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > USB External Hard drive problem

USB External Hard drive problem

Ray

Hi Guys,

Hope someone can help me out here. I just upgraded my laptop hard drive
from 20g to 40g. In doing so I bought a external USB hard drive case so I
can continue to use the 20g drive as portable storage. When it's installed,
I do not see the external drive in My Computer. The OS sees the USB device
and it configures it properly, but I do not see it in my computer. If I go
into the device manager, I do see the hard drive in the drives area and also
in the USB tab it's listed as USB Mass Storage Device. I'm running WinXP
Pro on my laptop which is a Dell latitude C600. BIOS is the latest version
A23, and WinXP has all of the latest patches with the exception of SP2.
I've tried uninstalling the dirve and reinstalling it but I still get the
same thing. Any help would GREATLY be appreciated.

Ray

Edward W. Thompson

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 05:33:35 GMT, "Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Guys,
>
>Hope someone can help me out here. I just upgraded my laptop hard drive
>from 20g to 40g. In doing so I bought a external USB hard drive case so I
>can continue to use the 20g drive as portable storage. When it's installed,
>I do not see the external drive in My Computer. The OS sees the USB device
>and it configures it properly, but I do not see it in my computer. If I go
>into the device manager, I do see the hard drive in the drives area and also
>in the USB tab it's listed as USB Mass Storage Device. I'm running WinXP
>Pro on my laptop which is a Dell latitude C600. BIOS is the latest version
>A23, and WinXP has all of the latest patches with the exception of SP2.
>I've tried uninstalling the dirve and reinstalling it but I still get the
>same thing. Any help would GREATLY be appreciated.
>
>Ray

Go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk
Management. Can you see the drive there, I think you will. It may
simply require you to assign a drive letter to the drive.