Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Category 5 Keystone Jack Wiring help

Category 5 Keystone Jack Wiring help

The Saint

Hello, Can some one help me out?
I'm trying to wire this type of jack for my LAN. I have 2 different
wiring options. 258A EIA-T568B, or, EIA-T568A. Which one do I use? I
don't know if you need any more info than that. If so, let me know.
Thanks so much,
TS

--
"The best defense against logic is stupidity". (unknown, but had to be
someone in the government)

Ralph W. Phillips

Howdy!

"The Saint" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello, Can some one help me out?
> I'm trying to wire this type of jack for my LAN. I have 2 different
> wiring options. 258A EIA-T568B, or, EIA-T568A. Which one do I use? I
> don't know if you need any more info than that. If so, let me know.
> Thanks so much,
> TS

Yes.

That is, as long as you stay with either A or B, no problem.

I personally have standardized on 568B, but 568A will also work -
they just switch what color wire is used for transmit and receive pairs B)

RwP

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

The Saint wrote:

> Hello, Can some one help me out?
> I'm trying to wire this type of jack for my LAN. I have 2 different
> wiring options. 258A EIA-T568B, or, EIA-T568A. Which one do I use? I
> don't know if you need any more info than that. If so, let me know.
> Thanks so much,
> TS

It's far more common for me to see the B standard than the A version.
It's not a matter of right or wrong, just different.

The Saint

Thanks guys. After looking it over, I kind of thought that that was
correct. After all electrons don't care on a straight through. Thanks
again!!

--
"The best defense against logic is stupidity". (unknown, but had to be
someone in the government)
ts
rev.12.004
rev.12.009
rev.13.016

Davii

I'm afraid I don't have any links for you but from research in the
past my impression was that which version you use will make absolutely
no difference whatsoever at the moment, but version B might make a
very small improvement to network reliability when speeds increase in
the future. Therefore I always wire with B - unless A is already
present of course.

Hope this helps

Davii

Email Corned-Beef only address

Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> The Saint wrote:
>
> > Hello, Can some one help me out?
> > I'm trying to wire this type of jack for my LAN. I have 2 different
> > wiring options. 258A EIA-T568B, or, EIA-T568A. Which one do I use? I
> > don't know if you need any more info than that. If so, let me know.
> > Thanks so much,
> > TS

> It's far more common for me to see the B standard than the A version.
> It's not a matter of right or wrong, just different.

why?

On 27 Sep 2004 07:57:15 -0700, Davii wrote:

That's a while in coming.... replying to a msg from 28 Aug 2004.

>I'm afraid I don't have any links for you but from research in the

There are several cable groups, and links to 568B/A wiring posted in
24HSHD before.

>past my impression was that which version you use will make absolutely
>no difference whatsoever at the moment, but version B might make a
>very small improvement to network reliability when speeds increase in

Prove it, how does the swapping of 2 colored wires (pairs) affect the
speed?

>the future. Therefore I always wire with B - unless A is already
>present of course.

You can run with cables as 568B and 568A with no problems. Our site was
a big DEC user and the pre-made patch cables were all 568A, the vertical
was done by a UK company so the panels were 568B. Later on patch cables
were bought in the UK so they were 568B. No difference.

The signal function on the pin doesn't change only the wire color it's
associated with.

The only thing you have to watch out for is check if it's A or B before
using a patch to convert into a xover. Then it's a swap of the 'wrong'
pair if you are used to A or B.