Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > 56k modem help needed...

56k modem help needed...

Tony Cianfaglione

I upgraded my internal modem from a USR33.6 to a Hayes 56k v90. I'm
running a P2-333/Win98SE setup. My 33.6 was connecting at 28.8R/31.6T.
My 56k connects at 28.8R/28.8T. I can't figure out why my Transmit is
lower with the 56k than 33.6.

My ISP says most of their other clients are averaging 44-49R with some
reporting 51kR. How can I tweak better numbers from my 56k? Is there a
way to edit the registry to set the MTU, MSS, RWIN etc to improve DUN?

Any and all help appreciated...

WormWood

This sounds familiar. Didn't you read the responses to your other post
on this same matter?

"Tony Cianfaglione" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)
..ca...

> I upgraded my internal modem from a USR33.6 to a Hayes 56k v90.

I'm
> running a P2-333/Win98SE setup. My 33.6 was connecting at

28.8R/31.6T.
> My 56k connects at 28.8R/28.8T. I can't figure out why my Transmit is
> lower with the 56k than 33.6.
>
> My ISP says most of their other clients are averaging 44-49R with

some
> reporting 51kR. How can I tweak better numbers from my 56k? Is there

> way to edit the registry to set the MTU, MSS, RWIN etc to improve DUN?
>
> Any and all help appreciated...

Tony Cianfaglione

I just got the 56k tonight. I never had one before.

-------------------------------

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, it was written:

> This sounds familiar. Didn't you read the responses to your other post
> on this same matter?

Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Thu,
26 Aug 2004 23:39:22 -0300, Tony Cianfaglione <(E-Mail Removed)>
screamed from behind the mulberry bush:

> I upgraded my internal modem from a USR33.6 to a Hayes 56k v90. I'm
>running a P2-333/Win98SE setup. My 33.6 was connecting at 28.8R/31.6T.
>My 56k connects at 28.8R/28.8T. I can't figure out why my Transmit is
>lower with the 56k than 33.6.
>
> My ISP says most of their other clients are averaging 44-49R with some
>reporting 51kR. How can I tweak better numbers from my 56k? Is there a
>way to edit the registry to set the MTU, MSS, RWIN etc to improve DUN?
>
>Any and all help appreciated...

There are some major differences between your new modem and old modem
that may acccount for the slower connectivity. The older 33.6 was more
than likely a "hardware" modem and actually performed all the
functions required to set up and maintain an analogue Internet
connection on the card itself. The new modem is what is known as a
"Win modem" and many of the functions that used to be performed on the
old modem are now performed by software and your CPU. Win modems, when
they first came out were frowned upon by a lot of users because they
took up CPU cycles and actually had degraded service because of it.
Since your CPU is actually pretty ancient and the new modem is
optimized for a P3 and P4, this can cause some of the problems you are
getting. Another problem is the V .90/.92 protocol tends to be more
picky about the phone lines than the old V .34 bis protocol. The V.34
protocol was much more stable and able to endure staticy phone lines
than the v.90/.92 standard. Plus, if your phone connection has to go
over 3 repeaters/boosters before it reaches your ISP, the V.90/.92
modem will automatically fall back to the older 28.8 standard. So the
answer to your question is you probably can't do much to improve your
connection with this new modem. I guess you could start modem strings
to change how the modem fucntions but usually (at least when I used to
do tech support for dial up accounts) didn't do much except force the
modem to function using the 33.6 protocol.
My advice would be to get an external modem if you want to insist on
trying to upgrade to a V.90 modem. The functionality is completely
handled on the modem itself and they tend to be more stable than a
cheap internal win modem. However, if the problem is with your phone
lines, you still won't be able to connect any faster than 31.6.

Tony Cianfaglione

Ok, some more data here. Digging out the modem from the computer...

My old modem was a PnP USR33.6. The 'new' modem is actually old stock
from a defunct store. Looking closer at it, I think it might be a KFlex
and not v90. It's a hardware modem set to COM2. It has a tiny (and I do
mean tiny) sticker on the inside flange that reads: Hayes 5609 AM v.34bis.
It's an ISA card, not PCI. It, unfortunately, didn't come with an install
disk so I was hoping Win98 would install a proper driver for it. I guess
it didn't.

I know my phone line can handle 56k because when I set up a friend's
computer a couple of years ago, his internal 56k would connect to his ISP
at 49k Receive. I was hoping to duplicate that feat with this modem but
maybe not.

Thanks again for your help...

-----------------

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor wrote:

> There are some major differences between your new modem and old modem
> that may acccount for the slower connectivity.

Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Fri,
27 Aug 2004 02:28:43 -0300, Tony Cianfaglione <(E-Mail Removed)>
screamed from behind the mulberry bush:

>Ok, some more data here. Digging out the modem from the computer...
>
>My old modem was a PnP USR33.6. The 'new' modem is actually old stock
>from a defunct store. Looking closer at it, I think it might be a KFlex
>and not v90. It's a hardware modem set to COM2. It has a tiny (and I do
>mean tiny) sticker on the inside flange that reads: Hayes 5609 AM v.34bis.
>It's an ISA card, not PCI. It, unfortunately, didn't come with an install
>disk so I was hoping Win98 would install a proper driver for it. I guess
>it didn't.
>
>I know my phone line can handle 56k because when I set up a friend's
>computer a couple of years ago, his internal 56k would connect to his ISP
>at 49k Receive. I was hoping to duplicate that feat with this modem but
>maybe not.
>
>Thanks again for your help...

If that modem you have is an old K-Flex modem, you won't be able to
connect faster than 28.8. The V.90 standard was established as a
compromise to two competing standards in the late nineties, K-Flex
(promoted by the Rockwell chipset, now Conexant) and X-2 (promoted by
USROBOTICS and Texas Instruments chipsets.) If your ISP's equipment
was originally set up to be the X-2 protocol and upgraded to the V.90
protocol, then your modem will automically fall back to the 28.8
standard. You're better off going back to your 36.6 modem. If you buy
a new internal PCI based modem, you should be able to get one less
than $15CAN or an external for less than $25CAN on the Internet.

c.reifert

"Tony Cianfaglione" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> Ok, some more data here. Digging out the modem from the computer...
>
> My old modem was a PnP USR33.6. The 'new' modem is actually old stock
> from a defunct store. Looking closer at it, I think it might be a KFlex
> and not v90. It's a hardware modem set to COM2. It has a tiny (and I do
> mean tiny) sticker on the inside flange that reads: Hayes 5609 AM v.34bis.
> It's an ISA card, not PCI. It, unfortunately, didn't come with an install
> disk so I was hoping Win98 would install a proper driver for it. I guess
> it didn't.
>
> I know my phone line can handle 56k because when I set up a friend's
> computer a couple of years ago, his internal 56k would connect to his ISP
> at 49k Receive. I was hoping to duplicate that feat with this modem but
> maybe not.
>
> Thanks again for your help...

I found one driver listed on driversguide.com that says:
Company - Hayes
Model - 5609 AM and most 22.8 and 33.6 legacy models
OS - All and Win2000

Just do a search on the site for Hayes under modems, then use the keyword
5609.

Will

xmp

Tony Cianfaglione wrote:

> I upgraded my internal modem from a USR33.6 to a Hayes 56k v90. I'm
> running a P2-333/Win98SE setup. My 33.6 was connecting at 28.8R/31.6T.
> My 56k connects at 28.8R/28.8T. I can't figure out why my Transmit is
> lower with the 56k than 33.6.
>
> My ISP says most of their other clients are averaging 44-49R with some
> reporting 51kR. How can I tweak better numbers from my 56k? Is there a
> way to edit the registry to set the MTU, MSS, RWIN etc to improve DUN?
>
> Any and all help appreciated...

The TCP/IP settings are probably fine, but you can use DrTCP to change
them. Check for line noise. USR used to have a test for this. Make
sure port-to-modem speed is correct. Use the right drivers. Make sure
you are dialing the right modem pool, esp if you have pre v.90 modem.
I've noticed dialing v.90 number works better than v.92 for my setup.

michael

xmp

Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor wrote:

>If you buy
> a new internal PCI based modem, you should be able to get one less
> than $15CAN or an external for less than $25CAN on the Internet.

I've seen new v.90 (v.92?) externals for $15. That would take some
burden off the computer. The one downside is the serial port is capped
at 115kbps, which means there will be a brick wall at ~ 90 kbps. You
will hit this wall on text downloads, which can be heavily compressed.

I dunno how many software modems can exceed that figure anyway.

michael

Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Fri,
27 Aug 2004 05:49:56 GMT, "c.reifert" <(E-Mail Removed)>
screamed from behind the mulberry bush:

>"Tony Cianfaglione" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Ok, some more data here. Digging out the modem from the computer...
>>
>> My old modem was a PnP USR33.6. The 'new' modem is actually old stock
>> from a defunct store. Looking closer at it, I think it might be a KFlex
>> and not v90. It's a hardware modem set to COM2. It has a tiny (and I do
>> mean tiny) sticker on the inside flange that reads: Hayes 5609 AM v.34bis.
>> It's an ISA card, not PCI. It, unfortunately, didn't come with an install
>> disk so I was hoping Win98 would install a proper driver for it. I guess
>> it didn't.
>>
>> I know my phone line can handle 56k because when I set up a friend's
>> computer a couple of years ago, his internal 56k would connect to his ISP
>> at 49k Receive. I was hoping to duplicate that feat with this modem but
>> maybe not.
>>
>> Thanks again for your help...
>>

>I found one driver listed on driversguide.com that says:
>Company - Hayes
>Model - 5609 AM and most 22.8 and 33.6 legacy models
>OS - All and Win2000
>
>Just do a search on the site for Hayes under modems, then use the keyword
>5609.

If the modem is a K-Flex and it hasn't been updated to V.90, the
driver won't do anything to improve the connection speed. However, if
the modem is a V.90 or can be flashed to the V,90 standard, he may be
able to get better speeds.

Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor