Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > WMP 9 - media library listing inaccurate

WMP 9 - media library listing inaccurate

Klein

(I've searched for an answer to this, but I must not be using the correct
search words.) When viewing the "Media Library" in WMP 9, MP3 files are
listed that do not exist. I think they were originally played from
removable media. At any rate, I'd like to get them deleted from the library
listing. I cannot find a straightforward way in WMP9 to delete library
entry names. If the file is deleted, an option exists to have WMP9 delete
the name -- however, my files do not exist to be deleted.

I'd really like to start over with WMP9 but think that is not possible. So
does the WMP9 "Media Library" list exist somewhere that could be deleted or
edited. Thanks.

°Mike°

Right click on the entry, and select 'Delete from Library'.

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 19:02:05 GMT, in
<NsqXc.14006$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com>
Klein scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Klein

> Right click on the entry, and select 'Delete from Library'.

Under FILE / EDIT CURRENT PLAYLIST the only right-click options shown in my
configuration are PLAY and ADD TO PLAYLIST. I cannot find another other
option that lists files available.

Is there is a more direct way of getting to the media library entries?

Klein

> I cannot find a straightforward way in WMP9
> to delete media library entry names. If the file is deleted, an option
> exists to have WMP9 delete the name -- however, my files do not exist
> to be deleted.

Where does the "media library" live and what does it consist of? Registry
entries, files, etc.? I cannot find it either in the registry or in a
regular file.

°Mike°

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 04:29:45 GMT, in
<ZMyXc.20625$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com>
Klein scrawled:

>> Right click on the entry, and select 'Delete from Library'.

>Under FILE / EDIT CURRENT PLAYLIST the only right-click options shown in my
>configuration are PLAY and ADD TO PLAYLIST. I cannot find another other
>option that lists files available.

Who said anything about "File / Edit"?

>Is there is a more direct way of getting to the media library entries?

Do it as I said.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Klein

I *do not* have a <RIGHT-CLICK> DELETE option, for whatever reason. Here's
a good answer I received that worked great. Another alternative I found is
a Media Player plugin that exports (for edit) and imports the library
entries.

Thanks to all for their help.

- - - - -

Q: How do I rebuild a broken Media Library?

In Windows Media Player 9 Series, the library is per user. The user's
database will be found at " C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local
Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player\CurrentDatabase_59R.wmdb"
on a Windows XP system. On other systems, just look for "CurrentDatabase_
59R.wmdb" on the system. To rename it, just add ".bak" to the file.